New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Perhaps_OCD?

Re: New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:42 pm
Hi Perhaps_OCD,

Thanx much for continuing the conversation with more patience. Appreciate. Our mutual goal is to get you what you want so you are pleased.

If the knife is not yet smooth, Please send it into Spyderco with attn: Charlynn. She heads up our Repair department and I usually work closely with her on issues like this one. I'll contact her and let her know it's incoming . She'll read this thread and we'll get it sorted.

sal
Of course, and thanks for support. I’m at about 600 cyclings. It’s finally starting to feel better, and I’m going to take it to 1,000 (Fireman has been such a trooper, I have to do this 1k challenge with him lol),then I’ll send it in. It’s becoming much more apparent where the issue lies as it’s slowly being knocked down (there’s a lip / bur like Fireman and I were speculating).

I don’t think mine will be stick / bur interference free by 1000, but it’ll be super clear where it needs some stoning / where the issue lies from the wear marks. Hopefully that helps give your company some insights. It’s approaching the point where I’m confident if I spent some time with an Arkansas stone it would be perfect. I’ll let your warranty department take it from here tho.

Thanks again.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

After 1000 cycles, warranty will receive and say "WTF, it's in spec...?'"

OP will once again be back to square 1, but he cycled the knife 1k times... ;)

I wish you a smooth action.
So it goes.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Another 300 today totaling 700 counted cycles plus the ones I didn’t count. It still feels about 90% better than when it was delivered, but I did not have a problem with the way it came from the factory. I knew it would smooth out but I did not know when. It is locking up about 60% of the lock face now. This did remind me of a fix for a rifle action though. There is this way of smoothing a rifle bolt action by smearing the parts with polishing paste and cycling the bolt action a few thousand times till it was glassy smooth. I ordered a Lynch clip for the Parsan because I want it to not stick out of my pocket. I will carry it more before I decide if I want to mod the handle a bit
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:39 pm
After 1000 cycles, warranty will receive and say "WTF, it's in spec...?'"

OP will once again be back to square 1, but he cycled the knife 1k times... ;)

I wish you a smooth action.
Yeah, they'll probably say "this knife looks heavily cycled" and won't cover it... 1000 cycles could equal about 5 years of normal use to be honest... Then they'll post you your knife back with a notch in it :grin-squint
iamidaho

Post by iamidaho »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:11 pm
Of course, and thanks for support. I’m at about 600 cyclings. It’s finally starting to feel better, and I’m going to take it to 1,000 (Fireman has been such a trooper, I have to do this 1k challenge with him lol),then I’ll send it in. It’s becoming much more apparent where the issue lies as it’s slowly being knocked down (there’s a lip / bur like Fireman and I were speculating).

I don’t think mine will be stick / bur interference free by 1000, but it’ll be super clear where it needs some stoning / where the issue lies from the wear marks. Hopefully that helps give your company some insights. It’s approaching the point where I’m confident if I spent some time with an Arkansas stone it would be perfect. I’ll let your warranty department take it from here tho.

Thanks again.
Hey OCD,

Where do you think the "lip" is? On the blade tang or on the lockbar insert? I guess my question is that if you were to take a stone, would it be to the blade tang or the lockbar insert? Maybe both?

I hope Spyderco can take this thread and use it as justification to manufacture a bunch more of the lockbar inserts if it turns out that reshaping one is the fix, then this would reduce the amount needed to fix the issue. I'm guessing they're going to be inundated with people sending their Paysan's in. I'd be happy to get a fixed lockbar insert and installing it myself but I understand from the company POV why they'd not want to offer that.

Cheers!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:13 pm
sal is such a good dude, time after time.
Yes he is!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:42 pm
What Spyderco frame locks have you had good luck with? I want a McBee so bad; they’re adorably ridiculous. Any experience with them?
I have a McBee, it's fine and really well-done but I rarely carry it. Not because I dislike the model or there's issues with it, I prefer the Manbugs in the tiny size range

I have a Mantra which is one of my all-time favorite knives. I had to replace the detent ball and tune the detent ball hole. Now it fabulous. Off the top of my head I also have a Paysan (as mentioned), Sage 2, Southard, Swayback, Advocate, and Cricket. I might be forgetting a couple. I have several Spyderco liner locks too
Very nice! I’m assuming the original Mantra. I always wanted one!

My Spyderco liner locks are fantastic as well. Love my Bradley 2 more than most knives.

I’ve tuned a few pivot ball holes myself on Spyderco flippers. I use a small ball nose endmill in a pin vise (finger drill bit holder). Detents are something I’ve learned to expect to have to tune, you’ve probably the same. I think there’s the personal preference part, much like gun triggers, and then that even the best production manufactures all have some variation knife to knife (from my experience). When you get that detent right where you want it tho, OMG it’s nice.
Yes, the original Mantra is what I have

Have two GBs and one GB2. I love both versions

See the pic in the link below...

viewtopic.php?p=1294128#p1294128
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My Mantra 1 & 2 are great...Mantra 2 is one of my favorites to EDC, and Mantra 1 is my "only have one knife" choice...
So it goes.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Completed the 1000 challenge. No lock stick and no issue with the lock bar insert with an asterisk. The lock up is about 65%. Completely solid, no side to side. I figured out some things though. The lock bar insert in mine at least is at a slight angle to the lock face and not parallel. What I figured out is with perpendicular force using two hands to close, it has zero issues. I guess because of the design to not have lock bar access, when you apply pressure to release the lock, it applies rear pressure as well as sideways pressure, slightly bending the lock bar and here in lies the issue for my specific example. The lock bar is bending with this pressure in a way that is not optimal for disengaging the lock. When I try to force the blade closed, because the unparalleled lock bar insert, it bends the lock bar to close the gap where the insert is not in full contact with the lock face. It won’t close up and is not dangerous, but I can force it a small amount. If there was no gap, there would be obviously no “Lock rock”. I theorize that if you mod the knife to have lock bar access, it will not only be easier to close, but will eliminate the lock bar insert catching slightly when it is being closed due to the rearward pressure due to the minimal lock bar access.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:26 pm
This thread from the guy who gave us viewtopic.php?t=90659.
Yeah. He’s opinionated and abrasive but that doesn’t remove the fact that his paysan lock stick is horrendous.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Horrendous lock stick doesn’t change the fact that he threw a tantrum like an entitled child. If that was how everyone with a warranty issue acted on here, this forum would be the most miserable place on the internet. (Aka Facebook)
-Nick :bug-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:58 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:26 pm
This thread from the guy who gave us viewtopic.php?t=90659.
Yeah. He’s opinionated and abrasive but that doesn’t remove the fact that his paysan lock stick is horrendous.
Mine was not “lock stick” but force applied with one handed with limited lock bar access putting force in the wrong direction and bending the lock bar in a way that makes it hang up. If there was lock bar access and perpendicular force applied, there would be no issue with my example. Focusing on the 2% you don’t like makes you scorn the 98% you like. I chose to accept or mod to my liking and use. IMHO, It is a great knife with some compromises to form over function that leaves some wanting. If I did not like the knife, I would sell it or mod it. I will keep mine and perhaps mod it. I chose to take action in a positive direction and my thumbs are taking the toll due to 1000 openings

:winking-tongue :winking-tongue :winking-tongue
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

iamidaho wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:01 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:11 pm

Thanks again.
Hey OCD,

Where do you think the "lip" is? On the blade tang or on the lockbar insert? I guess my question is that if you were to take a stone, would it be to the blade tang or the lockbar insert? Maybe both?

I hope Spyderco can take this thread and use it as justification to manufacture a bunch more of the lockbar inserts if it turns out that reshaping one is the fix, then this would reduce the amount needed to fix the issue. I'm guessing they're going to be inundated with people sending their Paysan's in. I'd be happy to get a fixed lockbar insert and installing it myself but I understand from the company POV why they'd not want to offer that.

Cheers!
Tang.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:46 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:42 pm
What Spyderco frame locks have you had good luck with? I want a McBee so bad; they’re adorably ridiculous. Any experience with them?
I have a McBee, it's fine and really well-done but I rarely carry it. Not because I dislike the model or there's issues with it, I prefer the Manbugs in the tiny size range

I have a Mantra which is one of my all-time favorite knives. I had to replace the detent ball and tune the detent ball hole. Now it fabulous. Off the top of my head I also have a Paysan (as mentioned), Sage 2, Southard, Swayback, Advocate, and Cricket. I might be forgetting a couple. I have several Spyderco liner locks too
Very nice! I’m assuming the original Mantra. I always wanted one!

My Spyderco liner locks are fantastic as well. Love my Bradley 2 more than most knives.

I’ve tuned a few pivot ball holes myself on Spyderco flippers. I use a small ball nose endmill in a pin vise (finger drill bit holder). Detents are something I’ve learned to expect to have to tune, you’ve probably the same. I think there’s the personal preference part, much like gun triggers, and then that even the best production manufactures all have some variation knife to knife (from my experience). When you get that detent right where you want it tho, OMG it’s nice.
Yes, the original Mantra is what I have

Have two GBs and one GB2. I love both versions

See the pic in the link below...

viewtopic.php?p=1294128#p1294128

Love it! I need one now. Ha
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:17 am
Completed the 1000 challenge. No lock stick and no issue with the lock bar insert with an asterisk. The lock up is about 65%. Completely solid, no side to side. I figured out some things though. The lock bar insert in mine at least is at a slight angle to the lock face and not parallel. What I figured out is with perpendicular force using two hands to close, it has zero issues. I guess because of the design to not have lock bar access, when you apply pressure to release the lock, it applies rear pressure as well as sideways pressure, slightly bending the lock bar and here in lies the issue for my specific example. The lock bar is bending with this pressure in a way that is not optimal for disengaging the lock. When I try to force the blade closed, because the unparalleled lock bar insert, it bends the lock bar to close the gap where the insert is not in full contact with the lock face. It won’t close up and is not dangerous, but I can force it a small amount. If there was no gap, there would be obviously no “Lock rock”. I theorize that if you mod the knife to have lock bar access, it will not only be easier to close, but will eliminate the lock bar insert catching slightly when it is being closed due to the rearward pressure due to the minimal lock bar access.
Glad your knife worked out man! More access (like you say) would definitely help, maybe a beefier bar too? You put your thumb through some abuse! I have a few hundred left.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:41 am
Horrendous lock stick doesn’t change the fact that he threw a tantrum like an entitled child. If that was how everyone with a warranty issue acted on here, this forum would be the most miserable place on the internet. (Aka Facebook)
I don’t disagree with you but if we discount his problem based on the communication style, that would be a disservice to paysan owners and potential buyers.

FWIW, I was in SFO last week and played with the display paysan. It was perfect in all aspects. I will be buying from a retailer that is a bit cheaper than SFO and hope that my paysan arrives without issue. I’m disappointed to read that the paysan again has some problem because the design is GREAT, minus the lame spoon clip on such a flagship knife. I also think back to all the factory seconds sales where I’ve seen multiple paysans with issues being sold… hopefully that’s not the case this time around.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much to all for the participation. Thanx much to Fireman's thumb abuse.

I think that we should respect the fact that OCD softened his approach thanx to all of your patience and cooperation. I think that he realized that we are all a good group that generally tries to help.

We will sort out his problem one way or another so he's happy. That's what we generally try to do.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

This place and company is soo amazing.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:54 am

I sent a Paysan in due to lock issues 3.5 years ago, and I finally received my replacement. This newly produced "CQI" model has the most sever lock stick I've seen on any knife (sometimes requires 2 hands to close).

Spyderco continues to fail at making frame locks. It's also disappointing they don't even bother to test a $920 MSRP knife before sending it to a customer (who's been waiting for their warranty replacement for over 3 years).

Moving forward, I'm not touching any of their "high end" knives. It is unacceptable for them to put out high dollar knives (Slysz Bowie, Drunken, Nirvana, Paysan) with a locking mechanism they're too incompetent, or care too little to get right.
Hi OCD. Just wondering if you have a 2 wk follow up? I’d be interested in your focused time braking in a knife.

On a side note, you reminded me of how much I like the R.I.L. so I got myself another SpydieChef.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:21 pm
Thanx much to all for the participation. Thanx much to Fireman's thumb abuse.

I think that we should respect the fact that OCD softened his approach thanx to all of your patience and cooperation. I think that he realized that we are all a good group that generally tries to help.

We will sort out his problem one way or another so he's happy. That's what we generally try to do.

sal
I enjoyed the challenge 🤣

I learned a lot about the knife in the process