New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Post by Airlsee »

Fine Swine wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:28 pm
Where did DLT Trading say that all of their Paysans in this latest run had lock stick? I’d like to see what all they said. Mine came in from them yesterday and, while I haven’t played with it much yet, I didn’t notice anything particularly unusual. Honestly, I’d prefer a bit of lock stick over the alternative. It seems like a nice knife upon initial inspection.

Redditor says Jordan at DLT checked a bunch and they all have some degree of lock stick...
So it goes.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

I'd like to say a few things about the knife that WOW me. The more I play with it, the more I'm impressed by several aspects (outside of the lock, which is not "breaking in").

1.) The blasted THEN polished blade is amazing. I've been around exotic finishes with guns, knives, and cars. I've never seen anything like this. It has the smoothness I'd only expect from a clear coat or chrome, and a texture I've only seen possible with paint. The fact that it's all metal and no coating is pretty impressive.

2.) I'm a fan of the factory spyderco pocket clip. Though I don't always agree with the position it comes in from the factory, to me the clip has become almost as trademark as the hole. Here's the cool thing on the Paysan though, they made the clip match the blade. Sure it's a regular "boring" steel clip, but with the matching finish of the blade, it's a nice subtle touch. I'd never replace it.

3.) They went fancy with the pivot. They did this with the Kapara too and it really makes the knife feel high end. ZT does this and I love them for it. On the other hand... Benchmade's Anthem looks like a high school shop project because the pivot matches absolutely nothing and is about as fancy as the screw for a door knob, ruins the anthem IMO.

Will update this post with pictures when I get home from dinner.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

It's a beautiful design that looks to be a well-executed interpretation, it's a bummer the lock is not as smooth as expected and I personally hoped for a more aesthetic clip.

I'm looking forward to user pictures and intended no serious offence (just putting some tension on the conversation) I can appreciate your insight and participation.
So it goes.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:15 pm
It's a beautiful design that looks to be a well-executed interpretation, it's a bummer the lock is not as smooth as expected and I personally hoped for a more aesthetic clip.

I'm looking forward to user pictures and intended no serious offence (just putting some tension on the conversation) I can appreciate your insight and participation.
No offense taken at all. I stirred things up. I'll see if I can restate what I said that got me in trouble (also) earlier in the thread, without getting in trouble (again): I will talk poop, but I'll absolutely take poop in return. haha.

I'll absolutely take some pics. I think it actually may have the same beautiful pivot as the Kapara, will find out when I get home.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

OP, I think the initial disappointment you experienced tainted your view of the knife and of Spyderco. Try working with the knife for a while and follow the advice of other Paysan owners. Spyderco is a quality company and I have never known them to put out a piece of crap. I own 124 Spyderco Knives (some are higher end knives) and have never had an issue with any of them. Good luck to you!
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Positive video for you guys / gals.
iamidaho

Post by iamidaho »

My views are pretty much aligned with that of OP.

Made a short video withy thoughts on the lock.

https://imgur.com/a/NNOuNPH

Aside from the lock, I really really like this knife.
iamidaho

Post by iamidaho »

Double tap
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

We get it you don't like the frame lock. So why make a video saying it's a positive video when all you did was reinforce how you don't like the lock.
--Pete
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Is this someone trying to become a monetized Youtube channel?
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

ekastanis wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 pm
Is this someone trying to become a monetized Youtube channel?
Still had my stuff setup in the living room from the first. Figured it was worth 6 minutes. I don't know much about youtube but I doubt knives are where the money is at. This is a super niche hobby.
Bottlemaker

Post by Bottlemaker »

I literally join this forum because I’m so frustrated with the insane lock stick on the Paysan I preordered on Dec 2021. I don’t even know what to say. I paid $654 for the worst lock stick I’ve ever seen in a knife over $20. I have hundreds of knives. I actually have another Paysan on the way from Knifecenter that I was going to return. After handling this knife I thought maybe the 2nd one won’t stick. After reading peoples comments I fear that will not be the case. I’m afraid of returning it due to the stories I heard about people returning this knife and never getting it back. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS KNIFE? HOW DID SPYDERCO ALLOW THESE TO SHIP OUT?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

“Inspired”by the thread yesterday, I decided to try my efforts to move this thread forward in a positive way. I decided to to the 1000 cycling of opening the Paysan challenge, as it were. I counted 300 openings of the Paysan today and with yesterday, it’s probably around 350 actual openings overall. I am letting my fingers have a rest for the day. I realize and admit this is a lot of hair splitting and nothing of real concern but I am just offering my anecdotal experience. Your mileage may vary. This is a dandy of a factor produced knife in some numbers and a manufacturing display of prowess

Observations;

1, I had to keep cleaning the lock face to get the oil residue off and it performed better after each cleaning.
2, it was not really “Lock Stick” I was experiencing but the lock bar insert catching on the corner or edge of the lock face.
3, With the 300+ cyclings there developed a contact pattern of the lock face and lock bar insert that was about 1/4 the width of the lock bar insert at the outside most portion. This should actually work in favor of many years of use.
4. The “issue” lessened by about 50% from yesterday. This falls in line with the advice that a break in time will improve the smooth functioning of the closing of the knife.

I will continue with the 1000 opening break in challenge and post more later.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:35 pm
“Inspired”by the thread yesterday, I decided to try my efforts to move this thread forward in a positive way. I decided to to the 1000 cycling of opening the Paysan challenge, as it were. I counted 300 openings of the Paysan today and with yesterday, it’s probably around 350 actual openings overall. I am letting my fingers have a rest for the day. I realize and admit this is a lot of hair splitting and nothing of real concern but I am just offering my anecdotal experience. Your mileage may vary. This is a dandy of a factor produced knife in some numbers and a manufacturing display of prowess

Observations;

1, I had to keep cleaning the lock face to get the oil residue off and it performed better after each cleaning.
2, it was not really “Lock Stick” I was experiencing but the lock bar insert catching on the corner or edge of the lock face.
3, With the 300+ cyclings there developed a contact pattern of the lock face and lock bar insert that was about 1/4 the width of the lock bar insert at the outside most portion. This should actually work in favor of many years of use.
4. The “issue” lessened by about 50% from yesterday. This falls in line with the advice that a break in time will improve the smooth functioning of the closing of the knife.

I will continue with the 1000 opening break in challenge and post more later.
I’m seeing the same wear area. It’s almost like there’s a concave lip that’s being worn down. It’s sooo tempting for me to take a stone to it. I’m going to keep cycling the action to 1000 over the next few days as well tho.

My thumb probably needs a break too. Temporary indents on your thumb that last more than 5 seconds are a sign for a break. Microtech has taught me this. Hahahaha
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I was tempted to do the same because I am a tinkerer at heart but for the sake of the 1000 challenge, I will leave it alone. My guess is it is just a slight burr but a S90V slight burr will take some time to smooth out with action wear. I whacked the spine a bunch of times to test the knife for lock failures but it did not budge. I tested the knife for any rocking side to side or “lock rock” but only got “Lock Rock” when I put so much pressure that I perceived that I was actually bending the frame lock. This is my first Paysan so I am still getting used to the knife. I love how it locks up with authority being a titanium frame and how much inertia the large blade gives you when you open it. Word of caution, have a good grip on it when you wrist flick it because a weak grip may send your very sharp knife flying. I was shocked when I first tried it and the thing nearly came out if my hand. Might have to put skateboard deck grip tape on the handle if I am going to do that often to keep my foot from being cut (again) Personal embarrassment time… I sharpened my Caribbean too well and was fidgeting it under the influence :woozy and it fell so perfectly as to give me a cut almost worthy of an emergency room visit but my pride and inebriation prevented me from driving to the hospital. Got a 1 1/2” long cut on the top of my foot but only about 1/4” was all the way through the skin all the way. Sharp knife cuts heal faster but bleed 10X more. Lessons learned? Don’t fidget with extremely sharp knives after a few drinks while barefoot. I did follow the unwritten rule of “A falling knife has no handles” but if I was sober, I probably would have never been in that situation and had a quicker reaction time to get my foot out of the way. I can still see it in my mind in slow motion falling on my foot and I knew immediately, this was not good :zany
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Idaho, Bottlemaker,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This has a lock-bar insert, doesn’t it? I guess that means this isn’t a Ti / steel galling issue!

The only RIL knives I have are a Brouwer & a Domino. Both have inserts, neither stick. Being a flipper, the Domino deploys at speed and locks with authority.

Does the weight of the Paysan blade simply cause the lock interface to connect very/too tightly? Is that a ramp geometry issue or do all heavy blades with a RIL have this? Anyone got a K2?!
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:47 pm
I was tempted to do the same because I am a tinkerer at heart but for the sake of the 1000 challenge, I will leave it alone. My guess is it is just a slight burr but a S90V slight burr will take some time to smooth out with action wear. I whacked the spine a bunch of times to test the knife for lock failures but it did not budge. I tested the knife for any rocking side to side or “lock rock” but only got “Lock Rock” when I put so much pressure that I perceived that I was actually bending the frame lock. This is my first Paysan so I am still getting used to the knife. I love how it locks up with authority being a titanium frame and how much inertia the large blade gives you when you open it. Word of caution, have a good grip on it when you wrist flick it because a weak grip may send your very sharp knife flying. I was shocked when I first tried it and the thing nearly came out if my hand. Might have to put skateboard deck grip tape on the handle if I am going to do that often to keep my foot from being cut (again) Personal embarrassment time… I sharpened my Caribbean too well and was fidgeting it under the influence :woozy and it fell so perfectly as to give me a cut almost worthy of an emergency room visit but my pride and inebriation prevented me from driving to the hospital. Got a 1 1/2” long cut on the top of my foot but only about 1/4” was all the way through the skin all the way. Sharp knife cuts heal faster but bleed 10X more. Lessons learned? Don’t fidget with extremely sharp knives after a few drinks while barefoot. I did follow the unwritten rule of “A falling knife has no handles” but if I was sober, I probably would have never been in that situation and had a quicker reaction time to get my foot out of the way. I can still see it in my mind in slow motion falling on my foot and I knew immediately, this was not good :zany
OUCH! Glad you’re OK! I had a “knife coming at my foot scare” with a cold steel 4max…. Also may have had some drinks. Ha. The slow motion “oh crap” fall is no joke. It barely missed, and that knife is so blade heavy it cracked tile like I hit it with a chisel.

We need to be careful with these Paysans and our self imposed challenge to open and close them a lifetimes worth of cycles in a few days! Hahahaha.

I am personally very used to closing a frame lock or back lock knife by choking my thumb up high on the handle, letting the choil or flipper tab hit my thumb when I snap the blade past the lock, and then moving my thumb out of the way to close it the rest of the way home. It’s a fast as heck way to close a Police, Native Chief, delica, any flipper, etc. However, with something like a spydiechef, Gayle Bradley, or the Paysan… it’s a good way to get cut fast, because It’s almost all sharp blade down to the tang. It’s been a long run since I’ve cut myself, I’m trying to not to end it with this Paysan.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:48 am
This has a lock-bar insert, doesn’t it? I guess that means this isn’t a Ti / steel galling issue!

The only RIL knives I have are a Brouwer & a Domino. Both have inserts, neither stick. Being a flipper, the Domino deploys at speed and locks with authority.

Does the weight of the Paysan blade simply cause the lock interface to connect very/too tightly? Is that a ramp geometry issue or do all heavy blades with a RIL have this? Anyone got a K2?!
It has an insert. I personally think it’s geometry, specifically the tang. It’s more shaped like a half pipe vs a ramp than anything in my collection. It may also be something weird due to the flimsiness of the long skinny little sliver of a bar not putting the insert where it should go. I’ve only tuned / corrected a handful of frame locks tho. Most of my experience fitting parts that require proper geometry is firearm related (triggers, hammers, sears, revolver lock work, 1911 slide stops etc.); similar but not exactly the same.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

So you think the lock interface geometry might cause distortion of the lock bar itself, creating a second twisting spring effect?

That would be awkward as it’s release would also be directional, but also probably different to the main action.

I guess over time the interface will wear to reduce that effect, depending upon the resilience of the materials.