New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: New Spyderco Paysan CQI: defective & disappointing

Post by Mushroom »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:51 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 am
We all know no one is paying MSRP for this knife. It’s disingenuous to imply that too but it sure helps make the argument sound more dramatic when it’s referred to by that price though. For all intents and purposes, this is not a $1000 knife. (Unless you’re dumb enough to buy it at the secondary market markup price)

Still, I agree that a $460/$644 knife should not require hundreds of openings just to break it in. I’ve handled some factory seconds with horrendous lock stick but my experience with buying and owning RIL’s from Spyderco is the complete opposite of the OP’s. I own a large handful of RIL knives from Spyderco and they all work great, exactly as expected. That includes Nirvana, Paysan, Drunken, Stovepipe, etc.

If I received a Paysan with as much lock stick as OP displayed, I wouldn’t be happy about it either. I also wouldn’t have made a thread or video like this but I digress. None the less, it is perfectly understandable why the OP would be upset after receiving the example they did. It is unacceptable, in my opinion. As much as I would’ve expected the knife to function flawlessly out of box, I would also expect Spyderco’s warranty and repair department to be accommodating in this situation.

It is important to not act so entitled though, even if you did buy one of their most expensive products. It’s difficult to receive that type of attitude with positivity. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
This knife IS the accommodation from the warranty & repair department. I sent my original Paysan in 3.5 years ago for lock issues, and finally got this one as a replacement. I do feel I'm entitled to a better customer experience than a 3.5 year wait (with no proactive communication) for another screwed up knife.
I understand that. You had plenty of other knives to fidget at your desk with during that time though, so the “woe, is me” story falls on deaf ears.

You’re not entitled to anything more than anyone else, from Spyderco. That sense of entitlement appears to be your largest hurdle to get over in this situation.

Good luck.
-Nick :bug-red
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

TomahawkT10 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:56 am
It's an interesting ongoing saga with this knife. Obviously a really nice design, but that lock bar keeps on having issues it seems. Also with the spoon clip, not sure i could add this to the collection. It deserves a matching Ti clip for sure like the Stovepipe has... Does the Spydiechef still have lock-stick issues or have the more recent runs been ok?
My CQI Spydiechef has minor stick, but I'm ok with it, its better than the pre-CQI lock rock version. The Chef's design with the big cutout for your thumb to push the lock bar further makes it less of the issue. On the Paysan, there is pretty much zero attempt in the design to allow a proper thumb purchase on the lock bar, so if you have a sticky lock bar it's a pretty bad combo.
rubix

Post by rubix »

Swayback, Stovepipe, Drunken, those were all great frame locks without any stick for me. I don't have a Paysan to know how bad it is, but I'm going to guess that you've never gotten into Strider knives... I've had to use plastic pry bars to get them unstuck while breaking them in. Besides keeping the lock face clean and free of oil, one trick is to use a small toothpick tip size drop of Ox-Gard and smearing that in the lock interface -- does wonders. However, if you want to make the stick go away, just keep forcing the lock in hard and prying it back out, it will break in over time.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:01 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:51 am
Mushroom wrote:
We all know no one is paying MSRP for this knife. It’s disingenuous to imply that too but it sure helps make the argument sound more dramatic when it’s referred to by that price though. For all intents and purposes, this is not a $1000 knife. (Unless you’re dumb enough to buy it at the secondary market markup price)

Still, I agree that a $460/$644 knife should not require hundreds of openings just to break it in. I’ve handled some factory seconds with horrendous lock stick but my experience with buying and owning RIL’s from Spyderco is the complete opposite of the OP’s. I own a large handful of RIL knives from Spyderco and they all work great, exactly as expected. That includes Nirvana, Paysan, Drunken, Stovepipe, etc.

If I received a Paysan with as much lock stick as OP displayed, I wouldn’t be happy about it either. I also wouldn’t have made a thread or video like this but I digress. None the less, it is perfectly understandable why the OP would be upset after receiving the example they did. It is unacceptable, in my opinion. As much as I would’ve expected the knife to function flawlessly out of box, I would also expect Spyderco’s warranty and repair department to be accommodating in this situation.

It is important to not act so entitled though, even if you did buy one of their most expensive products. It’s difficult to receive that type of attitude with positivity. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
This knife IS the accommodation from the warranty & repair department. I sent my original Paysan in 3.5 years ago for lock issues, and finally got this one as a replacement. I do feel I'm entitled to a better customer experience than a 3.5 year wait (with no proactive communication) for another screwed up knife.
I understand that. You had plenty of other knives to fidget at your desk with during that time though, so the “woe, is me” story falls on deaf ears.

You’re not entitled to anything more than anyone else, from Spyderco. That sense of entitlement appears to be your largest hurdle to get over in this situation.

Good luck.
When people speak, they often use the word "I" to explain things, first person. Example "I think this is should be better". That doesn't mean I'm only talking about making it better for me. If I only cared about the outcome for ME, I'd sell this on ebay. Spyderco needs to fix their repeated frame lock issues for it's customers, and their higher end customers should stay away from the Paysan if they're expecting a flawless high end knife like the others in the price range.

If this were my company, I'd personally want my product in my hands ASAP to look at. I love how Sal cares enough to get directly engaged. That's where my offer, to try to break it in as he recommended and if it didn't work he take a look, came from. I don't expect him to tho. He's a busy man. I'm sure they'll come to some resolution, and I expect the outcome of this to be the same as any customer: a Paysan without issues, or store credit.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

I have the Swayback, Chef, Techno 2, Drunken and the Paysan. The first four arrived lock stick free. The Paysan arrived exactly like the OP's. At first I was pissed then I started going over the knife and found a lot of oil on the lock face and tang. Cleaned them off and guess what the lock stick was almost non-existent. Then I was looking at the design of all five knives and noticed all of them had ample room on the show side to access the lock bar except the Paysan. So this time I went in from the side, leading with my thumb nail and unlocked it. Guess what no lock stick. So now I wanted to try something else. I took the other four knives and tried to unlock them pressing straight down on the lock bar then pushing over to unlock. Results all four had lock stick. I truly believe had they designed the knife with more access to the lock bar from the show side this issue would not exist.
Last edited by harpo1 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Pete
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:38 am
A surprising number of those who have responded seem to not be able to separate the message from the messenger. It's an important life skill. Attacking the messenger does not change the message.
Shunning a narcissist is perfectly reasonable wherever, as here, the medium is the message.

If the topic is worthy, take it up in a new thread. Keeping the topic going in the same thread feeds the troll.

I submit that recognizing this unique problem is also a life skill.
People are not shunning the OP, they are attempting to shame. I don't believe the OP is a troll, only abrasive in the manner of their complaint. YMMV
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Yes, we all know that. However, MSRP is the value Spyderco placed on the knife in question, not us. It may not be technically accurate, but it is still valid to use the Spyderco supplied value. It certainly is the price you would pay buying direct from Spyderco, assuming no Opfocus discount.

Of course, MSRP is the big lie in retail and should be eliminated, but we all know that it never will because retailers and manufacturers like to advertise a false discount. This is a general comment, not specifically calling out Spyderco. Put your pitchforks down everyone.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:11 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
A surprising number of those who have responded seem to not be able to separate the message from the messenger. It's an important life skill. Attacking the messenger does not change the message.
Shunning a narcissist is perfectly reasonable wherever, as here, the medium is the message.

If the topic is worthy, take it up in a new thread. Keeping the topic going in the same thread feeds the troll.

People are not shunning the OP, they are attempting to shame. I don't believe the OP is a troll, only abrasive in the manner of their complaint. YMMV
Correct. Not a troll, I'm likely amongst the largest collectors on the forum. Sometimes putting "some tension" into a conversation makes someone or an entity reevaluate their actions in a way being nice wont. Especially on a forum where the company only hears praises and the CEO is treated like an idol (there is literally a thread titled "In Sal we Trust" hahaha).

I believe listening to criticism is what makes good company's great. "man this Paysan is soo nice, Great job Sal! I wish it didn't have lock stick, but I'm lucky to finally have a Paysan and blessed to be able to afford one." is what those shaming think my post should be like. That doesn't do any thing. The CEO is looking into their lock issues right now because my abrasive method is effective.

Microtech has the best CS in the industry right now, and has for years. They fixed what was a major issue (horrible CS) because people internally and externally pushed back on Tony / the CEO and popped the bubble he lived in. If you have an issue with a microtech (like break a spring playing with too much lol), they will send you a label, and send it back not only fixed, but better (they've reanodized handles without me asking). They also keep spare parts and spare knives for warranties. Spyderco doesn't even do that very basic business practice, or at least didn't when I sent my original knife in, or asked them last year. Sal also thinks it's OK to have to break in a $600 knife, or buy a torx driver set to put the pocket clip of a PM2 in the position people are used to knives having it. Sure, he's the boss, he has the right to do so. Not very nice of him to customers tho.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomahawkT10 wrote:
It's an interesting ongoing saga with this knife. Obviously a really nice design, but that lock bar keeps on having issues it seems. Also with the spoon clip, not sure i could add this to the collection. It deserves a matching Ti clip for sure like the Stovepipe has... Does the Spydiechef still have lock-stick issues or have the more recent runs been ok?
Keep in mind that it's more common to hear from people with knives that have issues than it is to hear from people with knives without issues. My guess is knives with issues are a small percentage of a run. I have Paysan that I bought as a factory second for a bargain price and, aside from a tiny pin hole in the blade, it's excellent. No lock issues or any other problems
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:16 pm
TomahawkT10 wrote:
Keep in mind that it's more common to hear from people with knives that have issues than it is to hear from people with knives without issues. My guess is knives with issues are a small percentage of a run. I have Paysan that I bought as a factory second for a bargain price and, aside from a tiny pin hole in the blade, it's excellent. No lock issues or any other problems
Not on this forum filled with threads like "In Sal We Trust". It's a lot of pats on the back and hugs, and pitchforks if you dare to speak ill of the company or CEO without first bending the knee. Bladeforum & reddit sure, major sample bias towards complaints. However, DLT trading stated all of the ones they received from this new Paysan run have lock stick. This isn't an isolated issue.
Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

WOW! Now were are insulting everyone on this forum. Nice job!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

MMDV

Shaming the shameless, especially when they are not within arm’s reach, is indeed pointless, hence my preference here for shunning the deliberately abrasive, which is certainly what trolls are, at least.

And so are narcissists, especially when they not only think “putting ‘some tension’” into this forum is some sort of service benefitting its members, but also see the hugeness of their collection as making them more qualified to do so.

Tolerating this kind of behavior because it can serve to expose the capitalist enterprise disturbs me.

I thought everyone here understood that Spyderco is a capitalist enterprise and will do what such enterprises do, including not listen and not hear from time to time.

To be crystal-clear, if the OP starts an interesting thread wherein he is respectful, I’ll not shun him but engage him respectfully. This thread is his second disrespectful one, in a row, I think.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:25 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:16 pm
TomahawkT10 wrote:
Not on this forum filled with threads like "In Sal We Trust". It's a lot of pats on the back and hugs, and pitchforks if you dare to speak ill of the company or CEO without first bending the knee. Bladeforum & reddit sure, major sample bias towards complaints. However, DLT trading stated all of the ones they received from this new Paysan run have lock stick. This isn't an isolated issue.
You can have your opinions about a product and disappoint, but you are crossing a line lumping Forum members into a cult ? Great credibility.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:55 pm
JRinFL wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Correct. Not a troll, I'm likely amongst the largest collectors on the forum. Sometimes putting "some tension" into a conversation makes someone or an entity reevaluate their actions in a way being nice wont. Especially on a forum where the company only hears praises and the CEO is treated like an idol (there is literally a thread titled "In Sal we Trust" hahaha).

I believe listening to criticism is what makes good company's great. "man this Paysan is soo nice, Great job Sal! I wish it didn't have lock stick, but I'm lucky to finally have a Paysan and blessed to be able to afford one." is what those shaming think my post should be like. That doesn't do any thing. The CEO is looking into their lock issues right now because my abrasive method is effective.

Microtech has the best CS in the industry right now, and has for years. They fixed what was a major issue (horrible CS) because people internally and externally pushed back on Tony / the CEO and popped the bubble he lived in. If you have an issue with a microtech (like break a spring playing with too much lol), they will send you a label, and send it back not only fixed, but better (they've reanodized handles without me asking). They also keep spare parts and spare knives for warranties. Spyderco doesn't even do that very basic business practice, or at least didn't when I sent my original knife in, or asked them last year. Sal also thinks it's OK to have to break in a $600 knife, or buy a torx driver set to put the pocket clip of a PM2 in the position people are used to knives having it. Sure, he's the boss, he has the right to do so. Not very nice of him to customers tho.
You may think your method of making waves is effective, but it's basically tantamount to the disgruntled customer that rants and raves until they speak to a manager. Sure, you get yourself attention, but you also poison the well by making everyone less likely to acknowledge legitimate complaints when accompanied by an awful attitude. The amount of people wanting to defend/dismiss the issue of quality control specifically due to the way you brought up the problem is pretty strong evidence of that.

And pretending the only two ways to handle this are to be a brown-noser or the hole the nose came out of is some pretty black-and-white thinking.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:05 pm
JRinFL wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

MMDV

Shaming the shameless, especially when they are not within arm’s reach, is indeed pointless, hence my preference here for shunning the deliberately abrasive, which is certainly what trolls are, at least.

And so are narcissists, especially when they not only think “putting ‘some tension’” into this forum is some sort of service benefitting its members, but also see the hugeness of their collection as making them more qualified to do so.

Tolerating this kind of behavior because it can serve to expose the capitalist enterprise disturbs me.

I thought everyone here understood that Spyderco is a capitalist enterprise and will do what such enterprises do, including not listen and not hear from time to time.

To be crystal-clear, if the OP starts an interesting thread wherein he is respectful, I’ll not shun him but engage him respectfully. This thread is his second disrespectful one, in a row, I think.
WOOOOHHHH. Let me make one thing clear. I am not anti capitalist. The opososite. I think Spyderco should be more capitalistic and isn't operating to its potential. I want to see them run like a smart business. There's many examples of how they don't, from the fact they have almost no big retail partners that stock their main line (yet you can get most benchmades at almost every gun shop, REI, Cabela's, Dicks, etc) to their production issues, to failing to have the common business sense to be able to warranty knives / have some parts or spares held back, to the fact that they think people who buy $600 knives are ok with having to break them in. When you use a fan forum for your feedback loop, and micromanage a company (look at employee reviews on glassdoor) you get blinders.

My favorite recent-ish example: Spyderco said they were caught off guard by the demand of Z-wear shaman... despite having data from their Cruwear sprint run (which sold out in minutes the year prior). Meanwhile, literally at the same time they were treating the demand for the Z-wear as some unpredictable force of nature, Benchmade launches their updated Adamas with a Cruwear blade. It's because Benchmade knows how to use data and run a business well... Also benchmade has the logic of "people want a tough blade in a beefy knife". I'd love to see Spyderco outgrow them. No doubt Spyderco makes better knives, but Spyderco will never come close with the way it currently operates.

Maybe they don't want to grow? I know companies like that. That's fine, but they're never as good to their customers as the ones who focus on what the market wants (and by doing so naturally gain customers / grow), or treat their operations seriously (can warranty a knife, meet demand, etc).

The hugeness of my collection doesn't make me more qualified. My success making companies into winners might a little. It does pay for the hugeness of my collection.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

@Perhaps_OCD

We're members of The Spyderco Forum. Of course most of us are loyal fans. A big reason we're loyal fans are because of how Sal & Eric Glesser and the rest of the Spyderco team run their company. Another big reason is because we really like their products.

So when someone starts talking foul to the owner of the company of course we get defensive. At one point had the nerve to say they suck at making frame locks directly to the owner. Nice! Say a lot about you.

I beg to differ about their frame locks. I have several and they're fine. Thinking about it. They only frame locks I've ever had an issue with were another well-known brand. Both had lock that eventually went away. I did make a YT video and I didn't go onto their forum kicking and stomping like a child. I don't like lock stick any more than you do but sometimes it happens. It's actually means the knife has fantastic lock up. From what was said in the other Paysan thread some of the original knives didn't lock up good enough due to the detent ball ramp. They took away the ramp and now some are locking up too well. Is it ideal? No, but it's safer and will likely go away with use. Just like it did with a couple PM2s I've had and the two frame locks from another maker

Sorry you're having another issue and your disappointed but stuff happens. I suggest you chill out a little and take a more gentle approach. Hopefully Spyderco can take care of and fix the problem
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

*EDITED - TazKristi*

ETA: I thought it was poignant, topical and evocative but I understand.
Last edited by Airlsee on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

OK, so moving forward in this thread, let's keep the discussion to the knife and not the people discussing it. If a thread needs to end, I promise, we'll make that call.

Thank you!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Where did DLT Trading say that all of their Paysans in this latest run had lock stick? I’d like to see what all they said. Mine came in from them yesterday and, while I haven’t played with it much yet, I didn’t notice anything particularly unusual. Honestly, I’d prefer a bit of lock stick over the alternative. It seems like a nice knife upon initial inspection.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Fine Swine wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:28 pm
Where did DLT Trading say that all of their Paysans in this latest run had lock stick? I’d like to see what all they said. Mine came in from them yesterday and, while I haven’t played with it much yet, I didn’t notice anything particularly unusual. Honestly, I’d prefer a bit of lock stick over the alternative. It seems like a nice knife upon initial inspection.
Call them up. They're super awesome to chat with. Love those guys.