Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clinton1

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Post by clinton1 »

Thanks for your work on this, Mr. Blonde! Appreciate the effort!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:40 pm
Very cool. It took me a few minutes of thinking to realize that the "sharpkeeper" wasn't a sharpening tool of some sort. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how those worked until the lightbulb went off and I felt silly and laughed at myself. :rofl
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

clinton1 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:43 pm
Thanks for your work on this, Mr. Blonde! Appreciate the effort!

Ditto…and get well soon 👏👊
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:38 pm
The PM2 Salt is cool, but I’d be a lot more excited if it was a lightweight.
Agreed! When I first saw it I assumed it was FRN and would definitely buy it if it was a lightweight. I’ll probably pass since it is G10. Exciting to see magnacut come to a PM2 either way though. Thanks for the pictures!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jd_elam,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wright.88 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:54 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:38 pm
The PM2 Salt is cool, but I’d be a lot more excited if it was a lightweight.
Agreed! When I first saw it I assumed it was FRN and would definitely buy it if it was a lightweight. I’ll probably pass since it is G10. Exciting to see magnacut come to a PM2 either way though. Thanks for the pictures!
The texture milled out of the g10 drops the weight a little at least this is how it felt to me when i had it at hand.
Peter1960

Re: Lil’ Native Lightweight – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2023

Post by Peter1960 »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:14 pm
That's likely an oversight on my part, I'm fighting a flu at the same time.
I wish you a speedy recovery! 🤧
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

The LW models and the salt PM2 have me drooling. Thanks for sharing, these are really amazing!
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I never much cared for the PM2, but a Salt variant is compelling. Not that it matters, but the honeybee g10 a'la the Carribean would have been cool.

Very excited for all the lightweight models, especially the lil Native. Never had a g10 Lil Native either, but this configuration begs comparison with the Dragonfly.

I will probably have to get my wife a Mini Yojimbo, as she has a preference for small wharnies.

Also very excited to see the Chief LW get some funky steels.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Waiting for the Salt versions of the little ones (Native and Jimbo)... Maybe 5 years?
MNOSD member 0011
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

Thank you Wouter for the pictures. Great as always.

I have to say that I am thankful to have been able to visit this meeting again.

Of course Spyderco showed much more than this. But most were Protoypes and confidential. But I am very happy what will come in the future regarding steel and weight.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I wish I saw : the high performance Delica and the LW Caly3.5… to mention just a few. What’s the big secret about these ?! 🤷‍♂️
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
apollo

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:49 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 pm
Well that was fun. Short, but fun.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I recall these threads revealing a lot more knives, and different knives we'd never seen before, in the past.
You have that correct, unless my memory is playing the same trick on me.

After the reveal catalogs were implemented, it seems like what we see shared here on the forums from the Amsterdam meet is primarily what we’ve already been shown in some capacity before.
elena86 wrote: That’s all ?! I am kinda let down. No new inhouse designs, no exciting collabs…
I kind of feel the same way.
Well that really is all of the knives we are allowed to talk about. They only thing i can say without breaking that rule is in comparison to the other meets i went to in the past there were almost the same amount of designs maybe a few less but not much.
So do not worry the pipe is still as full as it was in the past. But do remember all factorys are at capacity for a long time now so its not easy for spyderco to make new stuff...
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I always love this thread. Thanks for posting these great pics and thanks to Spyderco for continuing to host the Amsterdam meet.

I really want to like the microjimbo, but as I said in another thread, I'm concerned about the wasted space between the ricasso and where the index finger naturally resides on the handle, and I think these pics confirm that... in order to get a comfortable full hand grip, and to place the thumb on the spine depression, it looks like the grip needs to naturally slide up onto the ricasso. I wish that Sal's "handle forward" design concept had been applied here (if possible... maybe it didn't work). I guess I'll have to have it in hand to be able to make a full assessment when the knife is released.
Mr Blonde

Video: Military 2 – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2023

Post by Mr Blonde »

This Spyderco Military 2 production sample was shown at the 2023 Spyderco Amsterdam Meet. I shot the video in portrait mode, so it’s optimized for phones (I’ll post it on my Instagram too @thatspydercollector), which might come off a bit strange if you’re watching this on a desk- or laptop.

Last edited by Mr Blonde on Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

My favorite thread…well done👏
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

apollo wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I recall these threads revealing a lot more knives, and different knives we'd never seen before, in the past.

After the reveal catalogs were implemented, it seems like what we see shared here on the forums from the Amsterdam meet is primarily what we’ve already been shown in some capacity before.
elena86 wrote: That’s all ?! I am kinda let down. No new inhouse designs, no exciting collabs…
Well that really is all of the knives we are allowed to talk about. They only thing i can say without breaking that rule is in comparison to the other meets i went to in the past there were almost the same amount of designs maybe a few less but not much.
So do not worry the pipe is still as full as it was in the past. But do remember all factorys are at capacity for a long time now so its not easy for spyderco to make new stuff...
Are all attendees briefed on what they can and can’t share from the meet? Is handwritten note taking allowed? Are you able to share names of designers they’re collaborating with or general ideas of new designs they’re working on?

The pipe may be full, but is it filled with anything that’s actually new? Or is it a pipe full of existing knives with different size and blade shape variations?

I wonder if the capacity issues they’re facing stem from constantly producing so many unnecessary variants of the same knives. Is it really necessary to have five different versions of Lil Native? That’s just one of the numerous examples of redundancies in their catalog. This whole production capacity issue really feels like a product of their own doing. They’re spread way too thin and can’t even keep up with their own catalog.
-Nick :bug-red
jd_elam

Post by jd_elam »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:01 am
Hi Jd_elam,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal!

I am a long time Spyderco user, and have been following the forum for a while, just never posted.

David
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

Yes there was a disclaimer at the beginning on ehat to share.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
apollo

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am
apollo wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Are all attendees briefed on what they can and can’t share from the meet? Is handwritten note taking allowed? Are you able to share names of designers they’re collaborating with or general ideas of new designs they’re working on?

The pipe may be full, but is it filled with anything that’s actually new? Or is it a pipe full of existing knives with different size and blade shape variations?

I wonder if the capacity issues they’re facing stem from constantly producing so many unnecessary variants of the same knives. Is it really necessary to have five different versions of Lil Native? That’s just one of the numerous examples of redundancies in their catalog. This whole production capacity issue really feels like a product of their own doing. They’re spread way too thin and can’t even keep up with their own catalog.
Yes we are told what designs we can talk about because those get grey name tags all other that need to remain top secret have red tags. And no note taking of any kind is forbidden.
The rest i’m afraid is also forbidden i think. And since i love the meet i am not going to risk getting on a bad foot with Spyderco.
But i did want to comfort people by telling the meet was normal in size because i indeed remember that Wouter was able to post way more pics in the past then he can this year. So i just want to save you guys from panic attacks. :zany