Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Post by aicolainen »

I’m in too. But ever since Eric disclosed it that first time, I’ve been really curious how much thinner the blade stock will be compared to the regular Lil.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Well that was fun. Short, but fun.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I recall these threads revealing a lot more knives, and different knives we'd never seen before, in the past.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
elena86

Post by elena86 »

That’s all ?! I am kinda let down. No new inhouse designs, no exciting collabs…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 pm
Well that was fun. Short, but fun.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I recall these threads revealing a lot more knives, and different knives we'd never seen before, in the past.
You have that correct, unless my memory is playing the same trick on me.

After the reveal catalogs were implemented, it seems like what we see shared here on the forums from the Amsterdam meet is primarily what we’ve already been shown in some capacity before.
elena86 wrote: That’s all ?! I am kinda let down. No new inhouse designs, no exciting collabs…
I kind of feel the same way.
-Nick :bug-red
Peter1960

Re: Lil’ Native Lightweight – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2023

Post by Peter1960 »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am
[...] However, the Lil’ Native features a 4-way clip mount option and it’s made in the USA, like all Native designs.

Wouter, Your pictures don't show the 4 way clip mount option, does that mean the production sample is different?

In any case, I say thank you very much for your work and wish you continued sharp impressions :respect
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the Salt models have me pumped. Truth be told if that was the whole reveal I'd be happy. Funny enough the next one I'm most interested in is the leaf Manbug. I'm still not sure it can dethrone my Ladybug Salt and ZDP versions but it got my attention.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Maybe he wasn’t given permission to post as much as he had in the past. First post of the thread seemed to hint on that saying these were the close to production ones he had their blessing to share…not the prototypes and concept models.

From what we are shown I think they made some money printing machines, especially with the PM2 Magnacut. Not all of them are must buys for me personally but some tempt me more than I wanted to be.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Micro Jimbo has my attention!
Purposeful and compact.

Wouter, thanks for all your hard work in provding these images and thanks to Spyderco for allowing you to show them!
cjk

Post by cjk »

Very cool. It took me a few minutes of thinking to realize that the "sharpkeeper" wasn't a sharpening tool of some sort. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how those worked until the lightbulb went off and I felt silly and laughed at myself. :rofl
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Some interesting stuff!
The pictures help in getting to know the new models. I suspect that most of the really new stuff is just not ready to be shown yet as we have heard about various new designs shown at events for some time.
I like the Sharpkeeper things. Aside from kitch knives, it looks like it would be good for traveling if sheaths aren’t your thing.

There were a couple neat surprises for me regardless.
The MagnaCut Salt PM2 looks cool. It gave me an idea for a variation of it using aluminum scales to save weight. I like the texture pattern a lot too. It looks better than the Caribbean’s grip, not because it’s just black, but it actually solves the only functional problem I have with the Caribbean. It’s black g10 bars are actually polished and unbroken by horizontal ones so it likes to drift up and down in the hand.
The PM2 looks much grippier without being being too significantly abrasive.
I think my ideal end result is a MagnaCut Salt Military 2 made either exactly like what’s pictured here or with linerless Aluminum scales textured like this PM2 and with Serrated options.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Peter1960 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:54 pm
Mr Blonde wrote:
[...] However, the Lil’ Native features a 4-way clip mount option and it’s made in the USA, like all Native designs.

Wouter, Your pictures don't show the 4 way clip mount option, does that mean the production sample is different?

In any case, I say thank you very much for your work and wish you continued sharp impressions :respect
That's likely an oversight on my part, I'm fighting a flu at the same time. They wouldn't change the mold at this stage.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:

That's likely an oversight on my part, I'm fighting a flu at the same time. They wouldn't change the mold at this stage.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

What is a bit weird for me is the weight of MicroJimbo vs. Lil Native wharnclife. Size , materials, blade thicknes is almost the same. You actualy said that Micro has thinner tip, but has more weight🤨🙄 Just hope it is a mistake. I like them both, but Jimbo a bit moore😇
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That leaf Manbug and the Lil Native LW are very interesting to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:15 pm
Peter1960 wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:

Don't believe you erred Sir. This knife takes a wire clip and I don't believe I've ever seen a Spydie with a 4-way wire clip.
DansGearAddiction

Re: Para Military 2 Salt – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2023

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:51 pm
According to Eric, the overall plan is to make a Salt version of every knife, made in the US factory.
So is this for all (ex. Taichung knives too) knives, or only the models currently made in Golden?
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I hope the sharpkeepers are available individually. I use another maker's version of the same thing for my kitchen knives, and they're excellent, but you have to buy the whole set at once, and there aren't enough small ones.

I'm really fired up about the PM2 Salt! Can hardly wait!
jd_elam

Post by jd_elam »

Looking forward to the Lightweight Lil Native and the Micro Jimbo.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Guts wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 am
Not sure if I like the Microjimbo or the Lil Native Wharnie better :thinking Probably end up with both though :rofl
That makes more than two of us👊…and the PM2 salt is a given(at least for me anyway)…I’m gonna be broke 🤣
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:55 pm
Lil Native FRN looks like the best of both worlds... Backlock and Wireclip. I'm in.

I’m w/you on that abba… and I smell salt air emitting from it!!!👊