Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2023 Report

Post by Surfingringo »

I have never been interested in wharncliffes until I saw it in the little Native.
I have never been interested in the little Native until I saw it in a wharncliffe.

That knife is made for that blade shape! I don’t buy many new pocket knives these days but I’ll buy one of those.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If that Lil Native FRN had jimping it would be perfect.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 pm
If that Lil Native FRN had jimping it would be perfect.
Unfortunately, it does have jimping. :woozy
-Nick :bug-red
TomH

Post by TomH »

Thanks all of this, Mr. Blonde.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:05 pm
I have never been interested in wharncliffes until I saw it in the little Native.
I have never been interested in the little Native until I saw it in a wharncliffe.

That knife is made for that blade shape! I don’t buy many new pocket knives these days but I’ll buy one of those.

Agreed 100%! I just hope a Sprint could soon be produced, so that dealers would see the demand and commission exclusives on this blade shape.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:48 pm
This is a must buy for me. Hey Doc, I am sure you’d like one for yourself.
Already got my eye on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Lance,

You've always had a good eye.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:05 pm

I have always been interested in small Wharncliffes but only with backlocks. My DF2 Wharn is a great EDC. If the Lil Native gets the Backlock I am in. Enjoying my Siren by the way
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:51 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:32 pm
On the MicroJimbo:

Blade: 1.97 inch / 50 mm = so the blade is more or less the same length as the Manbug/Ladybug? (1.95" (49mm) )

I hope this is a typo... that would be quite disappointing if true. I remember last year, that the rumors were for the blade to be 2 and a half inches.
Co Pilot wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:36 pm
sal, feel free to pitch away. Thanks for keeping us updated. The "MicroJimbo" will have a 2 1/2" blade and a full size handle if I remember right, has that changed?
from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=92115

I think on all other aspects, especially the more chamfered corners (please Sal, do this for all Golden G-10 models!) this is a home run for Mike Janich.
I believe it was just a typo. Based on the videos posted by Wouter, the Microjimbo is visibly larger than the Manbug and to my perception the blade looks to nearly match the Lil Native blade length. (2.47”)
That would likely be a type etc., I had a few more opportunities to handle the knives at IWA. From my subjective memory, the MicroJimbo would be in the 2.5 inch-ish blade category
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Zipper wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:17 pm
@Mr Blonde. Regarding the Stretch 2XL. Country of manufacturer - USA?
Gotta be Seki, right? I thought all Nishijin models came from there.
Yes, I would assume made in Seki, Japan. All Nishijin models so far were made in Japan and the Stretch 2 XL is also currently made in Japan.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Road Tripper wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:47 pm
Thank you Wouter for sharing the pictures and info! This is a great thread.

That Nishjin Stretch XL looks really intriguing...

I'm curious about the handle on the Military 2. Reviews I've seen on the current Military indicate the handle is more chamfered than that of the PM2, but in the pictures of the Military 2 the handle edges look similar to the PM2. Any thoughts?
From handling the Military 2 sample, I think the chamfering felt very similar to that of the PM2, but that would be my subjective impression.
Mr Blonde

Re: Stretch 2 XL Nishijin – Spyderco Design Production Sample 2023

Post by Mr Blonde »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 pm
Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:12 pm
Yes, Nishijin is back!

Thank you, sir! You may not realize it, but you solved a big problem for me.

I REALLY like the looks of the Stretch 2 XL, and Cru-Wear makes it nearly irresistable. I've been strong, and have been able to hold on to my cash. Now that you've leaked the Nishijin version, the regular S2XLCW is out of the question. I don't want it anymore. I want the pretty one. I'll wait for however long it takes. It's Nishijin or Bust.

There's always the chance that the blade steel could change for final production. Althought this sample was in Cru-Wear, the presentation focused on the Nishijin handle material.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:39 am
Did Spyderco make any mention of why the holes are offset the way they are on those sheaths? Was a straight line just too simple? I don’t have OCD but looking at those sheaths makes me feel like I do!
I do not recall if the design of the holes was mentioned, sorry. I do see them trailing away from the bug logo - perhaps that was the design intent?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:30 am
I wish I saw : the high performance Delica and the LW Caly3.5… to mention just a few. What’s the big secret about these ?! 🤷‍♂️
Usually, with prototypes in any design/production environment, there is always a risk of less honorable companies copying and stealing a design. In this case, it might be a matter of the knives being too far from production and release, to show them publicly. Whenever a new Spyderco design is shown, people want to order them, regardless of any caption explaining that release is still far away. And that can cause all kinds of disappointment and frustrations.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

First of all, HUGE thanks to Mr. Blonde for his outstanding work on this and his incredible support during both the Amsterdam Meet and IWA. If you're wondering why this thread was delayed after the Meet, it's because he went straight from the Meet to Nuremberg to help represent Spyderco--and act as our German interpreter--during the IWA show. He was too humble to say that...

For the MicroJimbo, it's a 2.5-inch blade. That's the magic blade length for highly restrictive municipalities (specifically Boston and Chicago) and for US government employees working in federal buildings.

As for the comment about the "holes in the sheaths," I'm assuming that refers to the SharpKeeper blade guards. That hole pattern pays homage to the SpyderEdge serration pattern and spreads the holes out to act more efficiently as "vents" to keep the blade dry. Not my idea or my design, but that's the reasoning I was given so I could craft marketing copy.

As for the number of knives shared, that, like everything else we do marketing-wise, is a balancing act. For every knife we share early, we get a barrage of questions about when it will be available. No matter how long that takes, it's invariably too long for some. Since introducing the Reveal process, I have crafted and re-crafted the narrative for how that process works numerous times. Truth be told, we defined a process, then violated it to cater to demand for earlier looks at products that aren't available yet. For those that appreciate that risk and remain reasonably patient, thank you. For those who insist we don't share enough, to borrow a Kelly McCann phrase, "you did that to you."

Stay safe,

Mike
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:03 am
Hey, All:

For the MicroJimbo, it's a 2.5-inch blade. That's the magic blade length for highly restrictive municipalities (specifically Boston and Chicago) and for US government employees working in federal buildings.
Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks for the clarification, Mike!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
max808

Post by max808 »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:27 am
Looking foward to the Micro Jimbo, a must buy
+1
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m seriously excited for the MicroJimbo. It’s going to be a perfect work carry for me.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Lil' native and Chief Lightweight both perfect for my tastes!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Am I misremembering? I thought the production Lil' N5 was supposed to be in BD1N.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...