Let’s talk SE fixed blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Let’s talk SE fixed blades

Post by twinboysdad »

Enuff 2 SE is one I am eyeing. Who here has a lot of time behind a SE fixed and what do you like and dislike?
Evil D

Re: Let’s talk SE fixed blades

Post by Evil D »

I have a Jumpmaster 2, have used it a bunch. Basically I don't overthink this, to me the pros and cons are the same as with plain edge folder vs plain edge fixie. I use the Jumpmaster 2 a lot in my back yard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have said for a long time that there are not enough serrated fixed blades in Spyderco's line up. I was fortunate enough to have landed a couple of the original TEMPERANCE 1 models in SE & PE both. The TEMP1 is still my favorite Spyderco fixed blade in both edge types.

I also wish that Spyderco would consider a full SE fillet knife fixed blade. The older full SE Catcherman that I have had for years is one I use in the kitchen almost on a weekly basis.

Dude I hear you loud and clear. We do need more fully serrated fixed blades. And I hope everyone says "AMEN"!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Not a Spyderco, but I've used the crap out of a Dexter Russell 4" Sani-Safe net knife. It'll cut through anything like it's nothing.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm not a bushcrafter, hunter or camper, so I can't speak about those things, but the Jumpmaster 2 is an absolutely cutting beast. I love it for cutting stuff, and would definitely trust it as a tool I would need in many situations.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Waterway would lend itself towards SE very much (as would its folding relative, the Siren, as far as I can tell (only have the Waterway))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:01 pm
I'm not a bushcrafter, hunter or camper, so I can't speak about those things, but the Jumpmaster 2 is an absolutely cutting beast. I love it for cutting stuff, and would definitely trust it as a tool I would need in many situations.
There is no doubt or argument that the Jumpmaster model is a workhorse for sure. But I have also put my TEMPERANCE 1 full SE model through some really brutal jobs in the past.

The TEMP 1 was the very first fixed blade knife I ever owned or used with an FRN handle>> and I love it!!! and at first I didn't think that I would.

I've only held a Jumpmaster in my hands on a couple of occasions but I certainly liked the grip/purchase on it as well. If more people would give a fully serrated Spyderco fixed blade a good workout most of them would be immediately hooked.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

My serrated H1 Aqua Salt and LC200N Swick 6 cut great and I'm sure a JumpMaster and the other serrated fixed blades from Spyderco are in my future, but I do still think it would be nice to see more serrated fixed blades from Spyderco meant for a wider variety of uses. Most of the present offerings definitely cater to emergency or "tactical" functions.
The Enuff 2 seems to be trend in a more general use direction, which I like, but I would like a Salt version.

I'm also eager to try a serrated Spy27 Mule Team 2, but I think some options in MagnaCut would be nice too.
I want to see if steels like those two perform better with serrations for me. Better edge stability, or a stronger edge, than H1 or Lc200N is what I'm looking for (those steels are still good and I do like them), especially in the upper tiers of corrosion resistance.
MagnaCut being so corrosion resistant is just a big plus in my uses, so something like the Waterway in serrated MagnaCut is now at the top of my list to try in the serrated fixed blade realm. Especially as the Waterway's intended use and design are more my style. However, I have other ideas including variations on the Whale Rescue knife Spyderco made (I thought I read there were actually some sort of new plans for it, but that was a while ago, so I'm not sure).

I have very specific reasoning for the exact configurations of each knife I'm interested in, like why I'd prefer to go with LC200N or MagnaCut for a serrated Enuff 2, but those are just my very particular personal preferences.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

A fixed blade
Attachments
71F6EA5D-4CF3-4BE2-B22B-312C7B76277F.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I heard some talk today that Spyderco might be considering a new run of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. I hope that is not just a rumor because it's still about my most favorite Spyderco fixed blade and one of the few fixed blades that they made in both edge types.

Speaking of Spyderco fixed blades two more I would like to see in full SE are the Southfork and the STREETBEAT. For a long time I really thought that both of those models would really stand out in full SE.

Oh how I would also love to see a TEMP 1 model in the SALT SERIES in both SE & PE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As a rule of thumb I personally would like to see more small fixed blades (and folders) come in SE, not so much larger fixed blades.

Can´t even tell exactly why, actually never had a larger SE fixed blade (well, thinking about it: I don´t think I ever had ANY SE fixed blade outside the kitchen knife realm... ?)

Might be cause the larger a fixed blade gets, the more it lends itself towards being used for chopping and heavier batoning, then PE might be better and sure will be more durable than PE (as a side note on the "batoning thing": Yes, I know, hatchets and axes exist, but often I just don´t want to bring one of those, and then a larger knife does the job decently too ;); for really light "batoning" of rather smaller branches for making kindling a knife is better and more convenient than an axe anyway, at least for me)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

Has anybody used the SE Swick for edc tasks? Wondering how the grip/shape work for the day-to-day stuff?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

KITROBASKIN wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 pm
A fixed blade
i wish i had bought one of these to rig something up. that's really cool.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have experimented with a Whale Rescue for 7 different proto folders.

There are two holes in the tang. A fixed blade is easy, but a folder is not.

I have tried pins as locks, but you have to remove and replace the pin each time you open and close the blade.
Bolts and nuts the same. ( Titanium pins, bolts, nuts and handle scales with G10 outers)

It would not be pocket friendly... :)

Spyderco have made a fixed Whale Rescue, with black FRN ( maybe G10 ) handle as I remember seeing one on the Interwebs...
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

There is a video showing a fixed Whale Rescue but I believe it was made by some knife maker, not Spyderco. Pretty silly and not much content but interesting point on the blade.

https://youtu.be/oeGmRyuSuLY
Stuart Ackerman

Yup, I am aware of the orange G10 scaled WRB...

The one i saw was black, almost a Jumpmaster type handle...
Stuart Ackerman

Kitrobaskin

I thought I knew your name from somewhere...
Here is your video from 6 years back.

https://youtu.be/ayLIjHbPJJ4