Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:23 am
sovereign wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 am

Liner lock is not MBC rated, and I think I remember reading Sal stating that the Military was not designed for SD. Perhaps due to your long standing support of Spyderco you could convince him to write a letter for you? Kind of like a doctor's note for school? :cheap-sunglasses

Companies just don't want the liability. This is what everyone is given to cut things..

images (3).jpeg

Unfortunately just the world we live in. I don't think I've ever actually had a job that was openly ok with carrying a knife, some just enforce the rules more than others.
How is one supposed to cut the crust off their pb&j with that?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:23 am

Unfortunately just the world we live in. I don't think I've ever actually had a job that was openly ok with carrying a knife, some just enforce the rules more than others.
I worked at a gun store for awhile and they were not only ok with you carrying a knife, they were happy to sell you one.

Various other jobs, I worked in lab settings and no one cared. The companies were usually run by pirates, not lawyers, in those days.

I think they were so cheap they were glad we supplied our own cutting tools.

The good old days ??
VA.koi guy

Post by VA.koi guy »

I'm happy to hear that the FF is on point with this St. Nick's exclusive Military. Thanks to all for the pics and feedback!
Mine seems to be stuck in Atlanta...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VA.koi guy wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:37 am
I'm happy to hear that the FF is on point with this St. Nick's exclusive Military. Thanks to all for the pics and feedback!
Mine seems to be stuck in Atlanta...
Tracking on mine showed that it was in AL for days until suddenly it was OFD. Hopefully you get yours soon!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:23 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:03 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:13 am
Well, it was strongly suggested to me that I not bring this to work again so it seems my big knife days are over, at least at work 😂

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... ecf_6k.jpg[/img
Seriously? That is a bummer.

Yep, pretty strict no weapons policy. We're not even supposed to have utility knives but most people carry something. Just have to be careful with what I carry and who I use it around but going forward size is going to be a big part of my work knife selection and I think also I'll probably be choosing a lot of DLC just to subdue the presence as much as possible.
This is so ironic I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry.
It’s practically the polar opposite situation over here. Carrying a knife in public is subject to an array of ambiguous laws and really something of a gamble. At the same time I’ve never had an employer who gave a **** about knives. My current employer pays for any knife I deem necessary to carry out my job and even has a tradition of gifting knives at certain career milestones. My interest in knives is relatively recent compared to how long I’ve worked there, so I’ve typically leaned towards multi tools and utility knives for work acquisitions. Through the years I’ve purchased upwards of 15 Leathermans, and there’s never been a question concerning invoices or carry.
These days I mostly carry Spydercos and SAKs, but this is really a personal choice and I won’t take advantage of my employer’s trust in order to save some money on Spydercos. More than happy just being able to sprinkle my office desk with knives, carry what I want and a receiving a sizable collection of multi tools at no cost to myself.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Finally got mine. It’s snowmaggedon here and my post office didn’t have power until today. It’s been three days and I’m still out. Maybe tomorrow? We got about 4 feet of heavy wet snow in 36 hours. Ughh....

Very happy to finally have another Military! Woo hoo!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:24 pm
Finally got mine. It’s snowmaggedon here and my post office didn’t have power until today. It’s been three days and I’m still out. Maybe tomorrow? We got about 4 feet of heavy wet snow in 36 hours. Ughh....

Very happy to finally have another Military! Woo hoo!!!
Congrats!

Same story here, but nice dry powder. Loads of it.
The official measurements said more than 1m (40 inches) night to Sunday alone, and we have had a steady supply ever since.
Myself and the kids love it, but mrs aicolainen is almost at her breaking point and is about to turn climate emigrant.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

sovereign wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:23 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:03 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:13 am
Well, it was strongly suggested to me that I not bring this to work again so it seems my big knife days are over, at least at work 😂

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... ecf_6k.jpg[/img
Seriously? That is a bummer.

Yep, pretty strict no weapons policy. We're not even supposed to have utility knives but most people carry something. Just have to be careful with what I carry and who I use it around but going forward size is going to be a big part of my work knife selection and I think also I'll probably be choosing a lot of DLC just to subdue the presence as much as possible.
Liner lock is not MBC rated, and I think I remember reading Sal stating that the Military was not designed for SD. Perhaps due to your long standing support of Spyderco you could convince him to write a letter for you? Kind of like a doctor's note for school? :cheap-sunglasses
That's interesting and makes me wonder which of the knives are SD designs aside from the Yojimbo type blades. What is MBC rated meaning?
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Both perfect.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Dang!!! Double score.

It’s crazy this knife was $220, and a regular all black s30v military is now like $252
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
brj

Post by brj »

Haven't been so smitten with a Spyderco since getting the Kapara back in 2019 (I think?), extremely happy for pulling the trigger on what might be the last 'real' Millie

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is such a weird color to photo, half the time my cell camera wants to make it look almost like a salmon color, and in brighter lights it almost looks pink. In low light it's super maroon looking.

And why is nobody talking about the awesome Deadpool stickers??

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Finally got my hands on mine last night after being out of town for a week. What a lovely piece! Fit and finish are excellent. Detent is on the stiff side but I much prefer that to a weak one- should break in with time. I now have Military Models in XHP (my favorite), S110V, and 4V so I consider my collection well-rounded in case this is the last hurrah for the OG model. I just love this design so much.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
brj

Post by brj »

& friends

MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

brj wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:43 am
& friends

Wow what a great collection! I hope we get another exclusive or two with the liner lock before the transition goes through.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Impressive!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

brj wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:43 am
& friends

🤯🤯
MRj “Weak things break!”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Now that’s a militia !!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:09 pm
Now that’s a militia !!!
Lol
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Late but great.
The knife appeals to me a lot more than I expected. I even like the color better than I had assumed.
What's maybe most surprising is that it fits my hand quite well for its size, maybe even better than my Chief. That one is disassembled into atoms for the time being, so I can't do a direct comparison, unfortunately, but it really ain't bad.

The hard part is deciding if I really have enough use for it to keep it. As mentioned I already have the Chief and I have a feeling the future me will own a SXL Salt. For someone who prefer small knives that adds up to an awful lot of big ones.
They're different enough in both steels (XHP, 4V and LC? presumably) and design to not be totally redundant, but I also don't want to be accused of not using my knives. Keeping them locked up inside for weeks at a time under un-knifely conditions... what a haunting thought