Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Post by shunsui »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:00 pm
Lots of people aren't fans of saving their credit card info, but I swear I've scored so many sprints and exclusives just because I have mine stored in my Samsung Wallet and/or Gpay so it autofills that part of the transaction. I had my order in and completed in less than 1 minute. I was back on the forum posting about it at 1:01.
Yeah, I wanted the Military so I got religion. It's not something I would normally do otherwise. Using Firefox it was easy to set up, enable, test on a cheap purchase; and afterwards delete the credit card data, and disable the address fill.

When you're sending a keystroke at a time to a choked website, that's going to cause long delays. Using autofill the purchase was just a matter of clicking on the "next page" and "purchase".
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:07 pm
The privileged western consumer lifestyle can be a handful at times.
😂
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I missed my chance. If anyone regret their purchase, please contact me... ,:Cry:
Last edited by Xformer on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Should be here next Monday (20th) according to the tracking.
I was really on the fence about this one and can’t deny I’m afraid it’s not going to be for me. Still looking forward to finally handle the iconic Military Model.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:55 pm
I was really on the fence about this one and can’t deny I’m afraid it’s not going to be for me. Still looking forward to finally handle the iconic Military Model.

I'm a little surprised, doesn't seem your style, but maybe it'll work great for you. Will tune in to hear how you like it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:03 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:55 pm
I'm a little surprised, doesn't seem your style, but maybe it'll work great for you. Will tune in to hear how you like it.
You’re so right. Definitely not my style.
This is what happens when you try to hang out with the cool kids ;)

Or maybe if you just want to get to know an old model before it rides into the sunset. A model that receives much praise and has many devoted followers on this forum.
And while it’s on the bigger side, I’m really curious about that famous liner lock. I realize the justification is embarrassingly slim, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised. And if I am, I could’ve done a whole lot worse than this version of it.

Impressions to follow
dan31

Post by dan31 »

If you find the 4V Millie too large or not your cup of tea, just give it time and come back to it later. It’s my favorite large blade Spydie. I will say that I carry my Millie in right rear pocket. I feel it was made for that carry being tip down and a longer handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure everyone is different but I find that I adjust to whatever I carry the most. Lately I've carried a Native 5 quite a bit, for over a month now exclusively and yesterday I carried a Military and it felt massive but I know I used to carry it all the time and it felt normal. Back when I carried a Military a lot I would have said the Native feels like a toy. It's a mental thing. Then I'll go into the kitchen and pick up my Santoku and it feels normal even though it's bigger than the Military, because my brain knows what to expect when I pick up a large kitchen knife. Basically if you want to carry a Military just give yourself a chance to acclimate to the size and it won't seem so unwieldy after a while.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:39 pm
If you find the 4V Millie too large or not your cup of tea, just give it time and come back to it later. It’s my favorite large blade Spydie. I will say that I carry my Millie in right rear pocket. I feel it was made for that carry being tip down and a longer handle.
That was the final piece to the puzzle, so to speak, for me to really warm up to the Millie. All knives I carry tip up in right front pocket, except for the Millie which I carry in the right rear pocket. In fact, some times I will only carry the Millie if my RF pocket has too much stuff to also carry a knife. When I carry two knives, or a pe and se, one is almost always the military.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Tuesday delivery per my shipment notification. The budget has been a little strained recently so I sold a GEC to cover the cost.

I remember the last batch of Military’s to come through. BHQ M4, Knifeworks CF/titanium S90V, Rex45, the 204p exclusive (also from Knifeworks?) Somehow the 52100 was all I kept. Excited for a new Military!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I hardly ever carry in my front pocket, so that part should be fine.
The smaller knives that I EDC are usually carried clipless in the bottom of my RBP, while larger knives that used for work or outdoor are normally carried clipped inside my RBP or IWB if my pants are lacking a rear pocket.
The possible size issue relates more to ergonomics and what I typically use my knives for.
I have a Native chief so I won’t be totally caught off guard by the size, although that one has been out of rotation for weight loss surgery for quite a while. Hardly remember how it carried :D
I have missed the chief on several occasions while it has been sitting in the project bin, so it’s not like I have no need for a bigger one. I just don’t want my expectations to get too worked up. It’s a pretty slim use case after all.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dan31 wrote:

My biggest Spyderco regret was returning the 204P Millie. This was before I grew to enjoy larger knives. What a fool I was.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:35 pm
dan31 wrote:

My biggest Spyderco regret was returning the 204P Millie. This was before I grew to enjoy larger knives. What a fool I was.

Yeah, you almost can't lose money on these if you just sit on them and wait, maybe you'll come around but if not you can get your money back pretty easily a year later.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
attila

Post by attila »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:35 pm
dan31 wrote:

Almost the same for me x2:

I was dumb enough to sell my grey Cruwear Military.

I was dumb enough to pass on a barely used 204P Military for a meager $150.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Similar size, but not at all similar. Native Chief carries amazingly well for it's size. The Military, you know you're carrying it.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:43 pm
Similar size, but not at all similar. Native Chief carries amazingly well for it's size. The Military, you know you're carrying it.

Thx for the comparison. Have not seen these two compared in a photo before.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:10 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thx for the comparison. Have not seen these two compared in a photo before.
I saw the Chief brought up a few times and figured while I was in the room, it wouldn't hurt. Both are great models, in their own ways. Very excited to pair that Military with the 4V!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Military, you know you're carrying it.

… And loving every minute of it!!!

It’s one of the few models i got stuck on and carried exclusively for a long time before joining this forum and actually had a few pairs of jeans that i used to wear at the shop that had the imprint of a plain jane (pre CQI) military worn into the pocket! It’ll take a beating and just kept on going, you’ll hurt your hand before you hurt the knife! I’ve bought and sold many military’s over the years, but always end up owning at least one.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:00 pm
If it was the PM2 it wouldn’t have made it 7 minutes, let alone 27
They did the PM2 and they lasted more like 2 minutes. They did the Manix 2 and again they lasted about 2 minutes.

The Military was hard to figure- it isn't as popular because of its size, in many jurisdictions it is not legal.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:35 pm
I saw the Chief brought up a few times and figured while I was in the room, it wouldn't hurt. Both are great models, in their own ways. Very excited to pair that Military with the 4V!
That would’ve been me. Thanks for the comparison shot!
I knew it was going to have a bigger footprint, but it’s nice to get an idea of how different they actually are.