Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopsbreath

Re: Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Post by Hopsbreath »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:02 pm
Got mine! Color seems more of a deep red like the Jester. The Chief was the anomaly of the family — it’s closer to a true red. Slight side to side play was easily fixed with a turn of the pivot screw.

Man I really should have got one of the Chiefs. I don't even remember why I didn't.
I think this was only the second or third DLC Chief they built. The other one or two was the Cutlery Shoppe XHP and the BHQ M4. I never handled the BHQ version but I had one of the CS and the scales and back lock weren’t quite flush. They fixed the SNK version and it was just about perfect. I rarely use it though as the pictures show, a Military or Stretch 2 XL usually fill my role of big folder.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 pm
I will get one just to swap the scales for an all black model with the 4V
I'm considering a dye job on this one. Will have to get it in hand and see how I like the OG color first.
I feel like I'm already too heavily invested in big folders by now, so a donor knife is pretty much out of the question. Haven't had a need to dye anything before, so not sure how well it will turn out. Kind of crazy to start with this one I guess but at least a black dye job should be quite forgiving. And I also think/hope it's going to wear nicely as the red eventually starts to peek through in the most worn areas.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:40 am
Fireman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 pm
I will get one just to swap the scales for an all black model with the 4V
I'm considering a dye job on this one. Will have to get it in hand and see how I like the OG color first.
I feel like I'm already too heavily invested in big folders by now, so a donor knife is pretty much out of the question. Haven't had a need to dye anything before, so not sure how well it will turn out. Kind of crazy to start with this one I guess but at least a black dye job should be quite forgiving. And I also think/hope it's going to wear nicely as the red eventually starts to peek through in the most worn areas.

I've thought about dying mine too, not because I don't like the red but because I think it'll look even better when the black starts to wear through and shows red.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
K-bar1999

Post by K-bar1999 »

Almost here very good service from st nick made the process very easy much better then my experience with DLT :winking-tongue
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Family portrait
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:54 am
Family portrait
That’s awesome! :bug-red

There is also a Delica in the family. I believe it was their first exclusive with Spyderco.
-Nick :bug-red
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:57 am
Mrj wrote:
Family portrait

There is also a Delica in the family. I believe it was their first exclusive with Spyderco.
Yes. I’m missing the delica and native 5 LW. I didn’t like those when they came out. But I also wasn’t like.. I want get them all either. Now I need them. So… anyone wants to hook a brother up. Lol.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:02 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mrj wrote:
https://i.postimg.cc/d3GbP0WL/0-F40-ED5 ... 5652-F.jpg
Family portrait

Yes. I’m missing the delica and native 5 LW. I didn’t like those when they came out. But I also wasn’t like.. I want get them all either. Now I need them. So… anyone wants to hook a brother up. Lol.
I know that feeling all too well! :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, it was strongly suggested to me that I not bring this to work again so it seems my big knife days are over, at least at work 😂

~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:13 am
Well, it was strongly suggested to me that I not bring this to work again so it seems my big knife days are over, at least at work 😂

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... ecf_6k.jpg[/img
Seriously? That is a bummer.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:03 am
Evil D wrote:

Yep, pretty strict no weapons policy. We're not even supposed to have utility knives but most people carry something. Just have to be careful with what I carry and who I use it around but going forward size is going to be a big part of my work knife selection and I think also I'll probably be choosing a lot of DLC just to subdue the presence as much as possible.
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:23 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yep, pretty strict no weapons policy. We're not even supposed to have utility knives but most people carry something. Just have to be careful with what I carry and who I use it around but going forward size is going to be a big part of my work knife selection and I think also I'll probably be choosing a lot of DLC just to subdue the presence as much as possible.

No more tow truck?

Last edited by prndltech on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At my work we're only allowed to use the spring loaded, retractable utility knives. Which is totally ridiculous considering all the types and thickness of materials that are cut around the place. All the warehouse and maintenance guys are on the same page though. We understand, and nobody snitches. You do have to be careful who's around though.

Sorry to hear that David, was looking forward to seeing that thing dirtied up on the job!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:35 am
At my work we're only allowed to use the spring loaded, retractable utility knives. Which is totally ridiculous considering all the types and thickness of materials that are cut around the place. All the warehouse and maintenance guys are on the same page though. We understand, and nobody snitches. You do have to be careful who's around though.

Sorry to hear that David, was looking forward to seeing that thing dirtied up on the job!
That’s a good place to work. Having a good crew around just makes the day so much better.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Mrj wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Mrj wrote:
Family portrait

If I get a Native 5 for ya will you sell me the pm2? ……😅

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Foehammer wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:06 am
Mrj wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Mrj wrote:
https://i.postimg.cc/d3GbP0WL/0-F40-ED5 ... 5652-F.jpg
Family portrait

That’s not how it works lol.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:32 am
Foehammer wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:06 am
Mrj wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

That’s not how it works lol.
😂 can’t blame me for trying!

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Worth a try lol
MRj “Weak things break!”
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:23 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Liner lock is not MBC rated, and I think I remember reading Sal stating that the Military was not designed for SD. Perhaps due to your long standing support of Spyderco you could convince him to write a letter for you? Kind of like a doctor's note for school? :cheap-sunglasses
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sovereign wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 am

Liner lock is not MBC rated, and I think I remember reading Sal stating that the Military was not designed for SD. Perhaps due to your long standing support of Spyderco you could convince him to write a letter for you? Kind of like a doctor's note for school? :cheap-sunglasses

Companies just don't want the liability. This is what everyone is given to cut things..

images (3).jpeg

Unfortunately just the world we live in. I don't think I've ever actually had a job that was openly ok with carrying a knife, some just enforce the rules more than others.
~David