Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dan31

Re: Spyderco Military 4V DLC St. Nick's Exclusive

Post by dan31 »

Keep it. The only opinion that matters is yours.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:35 pm
The hard part is deciding if I really have enough use for it to keep it. As mentioned I already have the Chief and I have a feeling the future me will own a SXL Salt. For someone who prefer small knives that adds up to an awful lot of big ones.
They're different enough in both steels (XHP, 4V and LC? presumably) and design to not be totally redundant, but I also don't want to be accused of not using my knives. Keeping them locked up inside for weeks at a time under un-knifely conditions... what a haunting thought
Keep it. Got to have at least one military if you’re a Spyderco fan! It’s a classic model.

I have had many and I have had none. and now only 2 military’s… as long as i have one, I’m good!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This knife has broke in surprisingly fast. I've barely used it and the pivot is silky smooth already and drops shut without any sort of wrist wiggle but the pivot is still rock solid tight. I haven't touched a screw on it either. Sometimes DLC seems to stay stiff for a while but this one has maybe been opened 50 times and it's perfect already and I've only opened some mail and a few packages so far so nothing that would flex the pivot enough to speed up the break in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine was the same way the very first day. I was shocked. It also feels like such a lightweight knife compared to my titanium RIL version.

I get one day in the warehouse next week, pretty sure this knife will be the one I carry.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine was definitely stiff out of the box, I lubed the pivot but it didn't really help at first. It's just been the last day or so if fiddling with it that it's started dropping closed really smoothly, and before that it took a little wrist jiggle or even a deliberate wrist flick to get the blade to move at all.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Amazing that I just said I haven't touched a screw on this knife. I looked over this morning and saw a screw laying on my desk right under where I laid the knife down (no judging how messy my desk is at the moment lol) and low and behold it's a scale screw that just happened to fall out right where I laid it down last night. The other scale screw on that side was also super loose but the other side is rock solid. So weird.

~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:18 am
Amazing that I just said I haven't touched a screw on this knife. I looked over this morning and ....

Hmmm... I know this can be a Seki-issue (loose or loosening screws from the factory), but not so much on Golden knives? I really did not have to many of the latter and three of those were pinned (Manix LWs). No such issues though with my small sample.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:59 am
Evil D wrote:
Amazing that I just said I haven't touched a screw on this knife. I looked over this morning and ....

Hmmm... I know this can be a Seki-issue (loose or loosening screws from the factory), but not so much on Golden knives? I really did not have to many of the latter and three of those were pinned (Manix LWs). No such issues though with my small sample.

It's a really minor issue. I usually check all the screws on a new knife before using it but I've only carried this one a couple times now and just haven't got around to it. I'm just glad it fell out where it did and the screw wasn't lost.
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check the screws on mine as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 am
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check the screws on mine as well.

I guess it's fair to say this shouldn't be a hard requirement, but I feel like it's such an easy thing to do that losing a screw is on us when it happens, especially for those of us who do tinker with our knives anyway. I usually have taken a new knife apart by now too but I've had a Military apart so many times I haven't felt the need, and that's when I usually check all the screws. Most people fiddle with pivot tightness anyway and that's a good opportunity to check all the other screws.
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I haven’t totally made up my mind on whether to keep it yet, so it has only been outside the knife drawer a few minutes at a time while contemplate on this big question. No big risk of losing screws just yet.
That said I’ve never adopted the habit of checking screws on new gear until I saw reports of this being a common occurrence on Seki knives. Even when the comparative risk is much higher, like car tires and gun parts, I only check such things after some hundred miles/thousands of rounds when it’s time to do some checkups and maintenance anyway. Thinking about it it’s kind of naive to put so much trust in modern manufacturing, but I’ve never had issues or near accidents because of it.
Checking my Seki knives before use has very likely saved me some lost screws, so I’m glad I didn’t have to learn it the hard way and it’s probably not a bad idea to just as well adopt this habit across all knives I receive, independent of maker and country of origin. I don’t think it’s something that should be necessary when buying from quality brands, but it’s easy enough to do, and much less hassle than replacing lost screws.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:50 am
I haven’t totally made up my mind on whether to keep it yet…

Keep it. I regret selling the 204P exclusive I once owned.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:42 am
aicolainen wrote:
I haven’t totally made up my mind on whether to keep it yet…

Keep it. I regret selling the 204P exclusive I once owned.

As I do concerning my custom wood scale S30V. :worried
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

aicolainen wrote:
I haven’t totally made up my mind on whether to keep it yet, so it has only been outside the knife drawer a few minutes at a time while contemplate on this big question. No big risk of losing screws just yet.
aicolainen wrote:
The hard part is deciding if I really have enough use for it to keep it. As mentioned I already have the Chief and I have a feeling the future me will own a SXL Salt. For someone who prefer small knives that adds up to an awful lot of big ones.
They're different enough in both steels (XHP, 4V and LC? presumably) and design to not be totally redundant, but I also don't want to be accused of not using my knives. Keeping them locked up inside for weeks at a time under un-knifely conditions... what a haunting thought

Well I understand what a difficult decision it must be for you, and no doubt the entire knife community is waiting with baited breath to find out what you ultimately end up doing with your knife.

Whatever you do though, don't just let it sit idle doing nothing in the box, because you will be endlessly ridiculed, and you appear to care deeply about what other people think of how you manage your knife collection. The mental anguish of going through such an experience could be traumatic.

Choose wisely, and keep us all updated every step of the way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:59 am
Evil D wrote:

It's a really minor issue. I usually check all the screws on a new knife before using it but I've only carried this one a couple times now and just haven't got around to it. I'm just glad it fell out where it did and the screw wasn't lost.

Yep, I do check the screws on any new Spydie too for quite some time now.
Most of mine are Seki knives anyway, where loose screws seem to be more of an "issue" sometimes(not really an issue actually, if one is aware of it)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

salimoneus wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:59 pm
Well I understand what a difficult decision it must be for you, and no doubt the entire knife community is waiting with baited breath to find out what you ultimately end up doing with your knife.

Whatever you do though, don't just let it sit idle doing nothing in the box, because you will be endlessly ridiculed, and you appear to care deeply about what other people think of how you manage your knife collection. The mental anguish of going through such an experience could be traumatic.

Choose wisely, and keep us all updated every step of the way.
Your compassion and understanding is much appreciated. Thanks mate ;)
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

How quickly did these sell out?
dan31

Post by dan31 »

chrisjohn wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:03 pm
How quickly did these sell out?
About 27 minutes.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

After a few days mine got smoother also. I added a drop of mineral oil and its pretty much drop shut.

No loose screws here
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I do have a question though. Why is there no Sal maker mark on the blade?