Street Steel Book Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WyoJon

Street Steel Book Review

Post by WyoJon »

Just received the 1990s publication titled "Street Steel" in today. Am only a few chapters in, but am really enjoying the authors credibility of understanding deffense with knives.

Really stands out in todays world of "professional youtube" "tactical experts" who recommend loading down with 40 pounds of gear and running around like a desert brutality match. This book has an excellent practical understanding of how the average person can pick and carry a knife to be effective with.

Bonus points that one of the top recommended knives is one I have, and love, as many of you do, pictured below.
WyoJon

Re: Street Steel Book Review

Post by WyoJon »

20230205_083322.jpg
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'd love to hear Michael Janich's perspective on this.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sounds cool. How many knife fights has the author been in?
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 pm
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=825

Theres the link to his profile on here if you wish to message him and ask him.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Bemo wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm
[/quote/]

I have it on good authority he would approve of this publication.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 pm
zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 pm
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=825

Theres the link to his profile on here if you wish to message him and ask him.
Pwnage
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Oh, the book is by Michael Janich? I didn’t know.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 pm
Oh, the book is by Michael Janich? I didn’t know.
Im curious to know why your thought process for a book about how to pick and carry knives, receives its credibility based on how many knife fights the author has been in, without even knoeing the author.

Many people who have been in more knife fights than the average person have zero skill or deffense credibility, we tend to consider them deviants.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Strange thread, OP. Were you trying to catch people off balance with carefully withheld information so you might embarrass them? Runs counter to this forum’s vibe, no?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:32 pm
Bemo wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm
[/quote/]

I have it on good authority he would approve of this publication.
:head-bandage
Got me! Where's the face palm emoji when you need it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If you want to read some interesting books on weapons fights and what happens when a weapon is employed read the series of Kindle books(4) by Marc MacYoung on "Writing Violence." He also has 2 other texts on hand to hand combat, "Knives, Knife fighting and related hassles" and "Pool cues, beer bottles and baseball bats" which are good.

Good stuff.... :cheap-sunglasses
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I trust the book is good, but at the moment I cannot afford it. "Street Steel" is almost $300 on Amazon.

@MichaelJanich would you please reprint this book? I'd like to buy a copy!!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:44 pm
Im curious to know why your thought process for a book about how to pick and carry knives, receives its credibility based on how many knife fights the author has been in, without even knoeing the author.
I can't think of any other domain where you can somehow be an expert without having ever actually done the thing you're advising people on. I think it's perfectly logical when someone says "I am an expert at knife fighting" to ask "cool, how many knife fights have you won?"

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm
Strange thread, OP. Were you trying to catch people off balance with carefully withheld information so you might embarrass them? Runs counter to this forum’s vibe, no?
I'm going to assume positive intent. Even if he was trying to surprise people it's still entertaining.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:43 pm
WyoJon wrote:
I can't think of any other domain where you can somehow be an expert without having ever actually done the thing you're advising people on. I think it's perfectly logical when someone says "I am an expert at knife fighting" to ask "cool, how many knife fights have you won?"
wrdwrght wrote:
I'm going to assume positive intent. Even if he was trying to surprise people it's still entertaining.
Astronauts train for a decade to fly a space plane or pilot a shuttle, then one day they get the go ahead to do the task, and they carry it out perfectly. Don't underestimate THE RIGHT TRAINING for a task because it may be just what the user needs to do the deed.

SEALs shoot one hundred thousand rounds into paper until that one day, they go on a mission. Again, it is THE RIGHT TRAINING that gets them through.

Network Engineers that build LANs and WANs memorize command line instructions and use their minds to picture solutions, then when the LAN/WAN needs to be built or fixed use the commands to do the job.

There are thousands of jobs like this where you train until you use it, but the training has to be logical, orderly, and progressive to where the task can be accomplished.

You do not have to be in hundreds of knife fights to know how to win one. But you do have to practice against similarly armed/trained folks to shake it down and try the methods.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Much respect to Michael Janich and his expertise. Not my intention to derail this thread, but every time his name comes up, I can't help but wonder what he thought of A Grande Arte or Exposure re: plausibility.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

zhyla wrote:
WyoJon wrote:

wrdwrght wrote:
So even the practical knife fighting arts that were developed by people who had been in knife fights is a somewhat interesting discussion, as most of those individuals had probably never been in more than a couple.

There was a former special forces guy who used to write some pretty good self defense articles, cant remember his name. The way he put it was that there was no such thing as a "professional" knife fighter. Nobody would ever live long enough to actually be an accomplished profesional.

He also would talk about training people and have someone do a disarming technique on an attacker with a trainer knife doing a simple thrust. Often times the disarmer could pull it off. He would then tell the attacker to bum rush them and said every time that happened the disarmer would have been cut to pieces.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

wrdwrght wrote:
All I did is say hey this is a good book. The people who chose to take shots at the book without having a clue what it is brought that on themselves.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:25 pm
I trust the book is good, but at the moment I cannot afford it. "Street Steel" is almost $300 on Amazon.

@MichaelJanich would you please reprint this book? I'd like to buy a copy!!!!
Ebay
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:49 am
zhyla wrote:
WyoJon wrote:

wrdwrght wrote:
So even the practical knife fighting arts that were developed by people who had been in knife fights is a somewhat interesting discussion, as most of those individuals had probably never been in more than a couple.

There was a former special forces guy who used to write some pretty good self defense articles, cant remember his name. The way he put it was that there was no such thing as a "professional" knife fighter. Nobody would ever live long enough to actually be an accomplished profesional.

He also would talk about training people and have someone do a disarming technique on an attacker with a trainer knife doing a simple thrust. Often times the disarmer could pull it off. He would then tell the attacker to bum rush them and said every time that happened the disarmer would have been cut to pieces.
Kelly McCann?? If so he is the designer of the Spyderco Canis as well