Street Steel Book Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: Street Steel Book Review

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear WyoJon:

Thank you very much for your original post. I'm glad you're enjoying "Street Steel" and appreciate your kind words.

The inspiration for "Street Steel" began in the very early days of my interest and training in self-defense with knives. That was the mid-1970's, and there wasn't much information out there on the topic. The most "recent" materials were World War II training manuals from close-combat legends like Col. Rex Applegate (one of my mentors), W.E. Fairbairn, and John Styers. Then, in 1975, two books were published: "The Complete Book of Knife Fighting," by William Cassidy, and "Secrets of Modern Knife Fighting," by Los Angeles police officer David E. Steele. Cassidy, who later revealed himself to be unscrupulous, mostly rehashed the WWI and WWII methods. The only "new" material he offered was having the legendary knifemaker Robert W. Loveless demonstrate many of the techniques for the photos in the book.

David Steele's work, however, delved a lot more into the modern approaches to carrying and deploying knives. His book, and his "Steele on Knives" column in Soldier of Fortune magazine, were the only focused materials on those topics at that time. Military manuals made no mention of knife carry methods and were purely devoted to large fixed blades. Steele, on the other hand, was the first to address one-hand-opening folding knives, one-hand use of the Barry Wood design, the basic balisong double-flip opening, and lots more. For its time, his writings were pure gold.

Fast forward about 15 years and I had learned a lot more about knife tactics and had become pretty skilled at knife carry and one-handed deployment. David Steele was writing very infrequently by that time, while forward-thinking factory and custom knifemakers were making significant strides in the technology of sheaths, carry systems, folding knife locks, and, most brilliant of all, easy-to-use, non-automatic, one-hand-opening folders. With all that technological progress, I felt there was a need for a focused volume that brought self-defense knife carry up to date for that time. That's why I wrote "Street Steel."

In writing the book, I had the generous support of some visionary custom knifemakers like the great Bud Nealy and James Piorek. I also discovered the game-changing magic of Spyderco's pocket clip and Trademark Round Hole(TM) and did my best to share those advantages with readers of the book. In the end, I created a work that I was proud of and, in my opinion, was a worthy successor to David Steele's pioneering efforts.

Unfortunately, the book never sold that well. Folks who "got it" and understood its significance absolutely loved it. In most cases, they were people who trained actively and carried knives regularly. They also understood the critical difference between carrying a knife as a broad-scoped defensive weapon and the myth of "knife fighting."

"Street Steel" was the first of my books to go out of print, so the rights to it reverted to me many years ago. Although there might be some value in reprinting it, so much has happened in the knife world since then it would be way out of date. For intelligent people who understand that time is linear, that's not a problem. For others, however, the book would suck because it didn't have chapters on folding karambits and "reverse tanto" blades.

For the record, the only person I've ever stabbed was my brother. He's six years older than I am and used to enjoy beating my *** when I was a kid. One day, he held me in a arm bar while he took a pair of wire cutters and threatened to cut off one of my fingers. I had a cheap Italian-style pocketknife that I drew, opened with my teeth, and stuck into his forearm to make him let go. That was a turning point in our relationship.

While living and working overseas, I traveled alone all over Southeast Asia in support of the US effort to resolve the fates of American POW/MIA from the Vietnam War. My job required me to visit some pretty sketchy places, and that's when I really embraced the knife as a defensive weapon. Even though I had a diplomatic passport, I couldn't own or carry a firearm, so the knife was the next-best thing. During that period, I found myself in a number of situations that were serious enough to justify me drawing my knife. When I did it with speed, skill, and the determination to use it, I was able to diffuse the situation and make the others back down.

I've also spent the last 45 years of my life training in knife skills, analyzing the pros and cons of various systems, and consulting with medical professionals regarding the most effective ways to use a knife to rapidly incapacitate a human being. The results of that effort are Martial Blade Concepts and its related systems, which I've taught all over the world for the past 20 years. I've been honored that many very intelligent, duty-bound people and self-reliant civilians have embraced my training and felt it worthwhile. I've also been incredibly humbled and grateful every time I've learned that one of them used the skills I taught them to save their own life.

If I haven't been in enough "knife fights" for my opinion to matter to you, fine. Please feel free to ignore everything I have to say. I'll happily return the favor...

Stay safe,

Mike
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Thats a great post Mike. Perhaps you could self publish the book in digital format online? Maybe add a few chapters onto it to add updates for the more modern designs you mentioned? There is really nothing in that book that is not still accurate and usable. And with the spyderco police being so prevelant in the book, and so popular here, it still is quite usable.

Even though I always have a handgun on me, a knife is often more versatile, paired with the fact when I travel out of wyoming I often encounter no gun areas. This applies to a lot of people, ranging from cities that ban guns, goverbment buildings, mexico, canada, and lots of public transport such as amtrac. Thats why I see some basic knife abilities as vital deffense skills. And this book covers that quite well.

Id say your skills have done you well if youve managed to avoid ever being in a knife fight.
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, anything that Michael Janich writes is pure gold.

Someone doesn't need to have survived 'knife fights' to research, train, and teach knife-related self-defense. Knife dueling, and SD with a knife, are not the same thing.

Look at the late boxing trainer, Angelo Dundee. He trained many successful, and even legendary boxing champions, including Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. And Angelo Dundee never boxed in his life.

By comparison, Michael Janich has infinitely more personal, hands-on experience with what he teaches than Angelo Dundee did at what he taught. Yet both have been extremely effective with their teachings (and in Michael's case, his own training, research, and designs, as well).

I would love to see Michael come out with a completely new book on the subject, a magnum opus that includes all of his knowledge on the subject from the past, combined with all of the knowledge he's gained up to the present.

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:57 am
Dear WyoJon:

Thank you very much for your original post. I'm glad you're enjoying "Street Steel" and appreciate your kind words.

The inspiration for "Street Steel" began in the very early days of my interest and training in self-defense with knives. That was the mid-1970's, and there wasn't much information out there on the topic. The most "recent" materials were World War II training manuals from close-combat legends like Col. Rex Applegate (one of my mentors), W.E. Fairbairn, and John Styers. Then, in 1975, two books were published: "The Complete Book of Knife Fighting," by William Cassidy, and "Secrets of Modern Knife Fighting," by Los Angeles police officer David E. Steele. Cassidy, who later revealed himself to be unscrupulous, mostly rehashed the WWI and WWII methods. The only "new" material he offered was having the legendary knifemaker Robert W. Loveless demonstrate many of the techniques for the photos in the book.

David Steele's work, however, delved a lot more into the modern approaches to carrying and deploying knives. His book, and his "Steele on Knives" column in Soldier of Fortune magazine, were the only focused materials on those topics at that time. Military manuals made no mention of knife carry methods and were purely devoted to large fixed blades. Steele, on the other hand, was the first to address one-hand-opening folding knives, one-hand use of the Barry Wood design, the basic balisong double-flip opening, and lots more. For its time, his writings were pure gold.

Fast forward about 15 years and I had learned a lot more about knife tactics and had become pretty skilled at knife carry and one-handed deployment. David Steele was writing very infrequently by that time, while forward-thinking factory and custom knifemakers were making significant strides in the technology of sheaths, carry systems, folding knife locks, and, most brilliant of all, easy-to-use, non-automatic, one-hand-opening folders. With all that technological progress, I felt there was a need for a focused volume that brought self-defense knife carry up to date for that time. That's why I wrote "Street Steel."

In writing the book, I had the generous support of some visionary custom knifemakers like the great Bud Nealy and James Piorek. I also discovered the game-changing magic of Spyderco's pocket clip and Trademark Round Hole(TM) and did my best to share those advantages with readers of the book. In the end, I created a work that I was proud of and, in my opinion, was a worthy successor to David Steele's pioneering efforts.

Unfortunately, the book never sold that well. Folks who "got it" and understood its significance absolutely loved it. In most cases, they were people who trained actively and carried knives regularly. They also understood the critical difference between carrying a knife as a broad-scoped defensive weapon and the myth of "knife fighting."

"Street Steel" was the first of my books to go out of print, so the rights to it reverted to me many years ago. Although there might be some value in reprinting it, so much has happened in the knife world since then it would be way out of date. For intelligent people who understand that time is linear, that's not a problem. For others, however, the book would suck because it didn't have chapters on folding karambits and "reverse tanto" blades.

For the record, the only person I've ever stabbed was my brother. He's six years older than I am and used to enjoy beating my *** when I was a kid. One day, he held me in a arm bar while he took a pair of wire cutters and threatened to cut off one of my fingers. I had a cheap Italian-style pocketknife that I drew, opened with my teeth, and stuck into his forearm to make him let go. That was a turning point in our relationship.

While living and working overseas, I traveled alone all over Southeast Asia in support of the US effort to resolve the fates of American POW/MIA from the Vietnam War. My job required me to visit some pretty sketchy places, and that's when I really embraced the knife as a defensive weapon. Even though I had a diplomatic passport, I couldn't own or carry a firearm, so the knife was the next-best thing. During that period, I found myself in a number of situations that were serious enough to justify me drawing my knife. When I did it with speed, skill, and the determination to use it, I was able to diffuse the situation and make the others back down.

I've also spent the last 45 years of my life training in knife skills, analyzing the pros and cons of various systems, and consulting with medical professionals regarding the most effective ways to use a knife to rapidly incapacitate a human being. The results of that effort are Martial Blade Concepts and its related systems, which I've taught all over the world for the past 20 years. I've been honored that many very intelligent, duty-bound people and self-reliant civilians have embraced my training and felt it worthwhile. I've also been incredibly humbled and grateful every time I've learned that one of them used the skills I taught them to save their own life.

If I haven't been in enough "knife fights" for my opinion to matter to you, fine. Please feel free to ignore everything I have to say. I'll happily return the favor...

Stay safe,

Mike
David Steele wrote a great article in Black Belt Magazine on leather saps and blackjacks as well. It too was alone at the time for the subject matter and depth. Probably still is since those weapons are mostly illegal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I remember that article!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

In an exchange of gifts a few years ago, MrJanich gifted to myself a copy of his work :
"The Best Defense" ISBN is 978-1-939467-00-3
Covers all sorts of weapons, some improvised, some with edges... :)

Grab one while you can!
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Defense-Mic ... 1939467004

Scroll down the page of that Amazon site, and you will find more books written by Mr Janich...
Enjoy!
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:25 pm
I trust the book is good, but at the moment I cannot afford it. "Street Steel" is almost $300 on Amazon.

@MichaelJanich would you please reprint this book? I'd like to buy a copy!!!!
This does pop up on ebay every now and then.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195615887794?m ... media=COPY
sal

Post by sal »

Hi WyoJon,

I would suggest that you take a class with Mike or one of his trained instructors. Mike's "style" is very well thought out. Effective, efficient and practical. I would also suggest that you purchase Mike's Yojimbo, which was created to fit his "style".

Bruce Lee studied many styles before developing his own. Likewise, Mike spent a lifetime with numerous styles before developing his Martial Blade Concepts. We at Spyderco are honored and proud to have Mike Janich be part of our team.

sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

While I don't train with- or carry weapons for self defense, I can surely enjoy the historical aspect of it, and how mindset, techniques and designs have evolved over time.
So in that context these older publications are of more interest to me than the contemporary literature.
Thanks to the OP for shedding some light on Michaels early work and thanks to Mike for referencing his own sources of inspiration, I will surely keep an eye out for these books.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:19 am
While I don't train with- or carry weapons for self defense, I can surely enjoy the historical aspect of it, and how mindset, techniques and designs have evolved over time.
So in that context these older publications are of more interest to me than the contemporary literature.
Thanks to the OP for shedding some light on Michaels early work and thanks to Mike for referencing his own sources of inspiration, I will surely keep an eye out for these books.
There is another copy floating around ebay I linked above.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:37 am
IMO, anything that Michael Janich writes is pure gold.

Someone doesn't need to have survived 'knife fights' to research, train, and teach knife-related self-defense. Knife dueling, and SD with a knife, are not the same thing.

Look at the late boxing trainer, Angelo Dundee. He trained many successful, and even legendary boxing champions, including Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. And Angelo Dundee never boxed in his life.

By comparison, Michael Janich has infinitely more personal, hands-on experience with what he teaches than Angelo Dundee did at what he taught. Yet both have been extremely effective with their teachings (and in Michael's case, his own training, research, and designs, as well).

I would love to see Michael come out with a completely new book on the subject, a magnum opus that includes all of his knowledge on the subject from the past, combined with all of the knowledge he's gained up to the present.

Jim
Jim I couldn't agree more. I have collected several of Michael Janich's magazine articles over the years and I find his advice to be extremely competent and valuable. A couple of his recent articles in OFF GRID magazine were great.

I wish Mr. Janich would consider doing a reprint of the book if possible. Was it ever available through alternate sources like Paladin Press or Delta Press? I'm sure Delta Press or someone of their ilk would love to take it on.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you, Sal, and all for the kind words. I'm honored that you find value in my writing. I'll give some thought to reprinting "Street Steel" through my own company on Amazon.

Stay safe,

Mike
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:03 am
Thank you, Sal, and all for the kind words. I'm honored that you find value in my writing. I'll give some thought to reprinting "Street Steel" through my own company on Amazon.

Stay safe,

Mike
I would love to pick up a copy if you go ahead! One of my most treasured books was a first edition hardback copy of Kiyose Nakae’s ‘Jiu Jitsu Complete’, replete with wonderful period attire illustrations of smartly dressed ladies and gentlemen going at it with a smorgasbord of brutal Japanese Jiu Jitsu techniques. I remember one particular image showing a lady taking a male assailant in a rather tasteful suit to the ground (and hopefully on to hospital) with a pencil, some extreme prejudice and a can-do attitude 😂 I was devastated when the book was lost in shipping during our relocation to Singapore for work. Even the paperbacks are crazy money these days. It would be great to have a copy of your work to enjoy in the same vein - both as a legitimate information text but also as a time machine’s snapshot into the evolution and development of your Martial Blade Craft style.

Have a great day,
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

If Michael ever was involved in a knife fight is probably classified by the Firm. Chances are high it would have been in a hot and humid place with triple canopy....😋
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm in for a copy of the reprint!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

WyoJon wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:39 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thanks!
I have too much on my mind these days to chase down old books on ebay, but appreciate the tip!
For now I'll just wait and see if a reprint / e-book release comes to fruition. It'll be worth the wait if it means I also get to support Mikes efforts.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:27 am
WyoJon wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:39 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thanks!
I have too much on my mind these days to chase down old books on ebay, but appreciate the tip!
For now I'll just wait and see if a reprint / e-book release comes to fruition. It'll be worth the wait if it means I also get to support Mikes efforts.
The link is there