What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Post by Evil D »

We always talk about our favorite knives, we've got a current thread about our favorite ergonomic designs, we've got one about the last knife you'd sell or whatever, but if you can rank knives in a list like that then surely there is an opposite end of that spectrum.

Even if you're the type that sells off knives as you lose interest, I would say you likely have at least one bottom dweller that for whatever reason you haven't sold. Even if you only buy variations of your one favorite model, it's still possible to put them in this ranking.

Me personally I've got quite a few unfortunately, but for different reasons I've never sold them. Some were "growing pains" as I sorted out my preferences and models that I loved got pushed further back into the back of my favorites list. Others still have some sentimental value so even though they may not be my favorite anymore, and I may have no interest in carrying them anymore, I'm still not in a hurry to sell them off.

Anyway, my bottom dweller least favorite that I actually own is probably my original S30V Paramilitary 1.

That knife was the one that really brought me into the fold, it was "the one" long before any others, oddly enough even before my first Spyderco because I just hadn't developed that feeling with the knives I had bought before it and I think the Paramilitary was something like my 5th Spyderco, I don't remember.

For me the ergonomics have not aged well with that knife. I do think it is a more honest "mini Military" than anything that has come after it, because the handle most closely resembles the Military. Spyderco have come a long way in pivot and lock action since this knife, and going back and handling one and comparing it side by side to something like a Shaman is an eye opener. Sometimes older models are definitely more special than what we have today (some of the old micarta models for example are just so special) but in this particular case I think it shows how far Spyderco have come in the last 25 years.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/526 ... 412_4k.jpg

This was also probably the first knife I started modding, and rounding off this originally sharp AF tang corner was one of the first mods I did. I also shortened the blade just a bit to fit the length laws I used to live under, that's why the blade has a very slight leaf shape to the spine.

So. Certainly not lacking in the general favorites department, but also probably the very last knife I'd find myself reaching for in my collection today.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Re: What's your LEAST favorite model that you actually own?

Post by dsvirsky »

Interesting question. For me, I think it would be the (original) Meerkat. Same blade and handle (more or less) as one of my favorite small Spydies, the G-10 Navigator (didn't like the Almite Navigator, gave mine away), but I don't like the feel of the handle and, while there's no play in the lock itself, the handle scales do have a bit of loose movement.

FWIW, the original Paramilitary is still one of my favorites. Fits my hand better than the PM2, has the clip I prefer for this model, and I've never noticed the tang corner being sharp. As the man says, all good, just different. :bug-red-white
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Titanium Pingo for me. It was my first slipjoint Spydie, and it affirmed my preference for locking folders.

The scales are a scratch and fingerprint magnet.

I keep it in case I ever need to carry a slippie.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Another favourite for the list. For me it's the Manix 2. Bulky in the pocket. The lock is fiddly to use. I'd give it another try if they made a back lock again or made an XL with a back lock. I would never buy another CBBL knife.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Reposting for David . My least favorite is my Yojumbo CF S90V , has the worst lock stick I have with all my comp locks . Hopefully I can resolve it , if not sending to Golden .
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

For me it was the Manix 2. I hated that knife for no discernible reason. I gifted it to a friend who loves it. My least favorite that I still own is a stainless handle dragonfly. It doesn’t fit my hand well but I like the way it looks enough to keep it
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Definitely the Para 3. The ergonomics are just not there.
  • The inner side of the scales are not chamfered which is not comfortable.
  • The knife is really thick. It sticks out in the pocket and it just doesn't feel right in the hand. I don't mind that thickness on the much larger manix, but it just doesn't work on this knife.
  • The usual comp lock annoyances.
  • The full height hump forces your hand into one position. I don't like it over the half hump of the manix.
  • The handle seems unnecessarily long.
  • The blade shape just isn't for me.
The first 2 points are really what do it for me. The rest are just minor annoyances. Overall I still like the knife, but if it weren't in maxamet, I would probably sell it.

The lil' native is a close second since it has the same first 3 points.
Last edited by vandelay on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

My BD1N Cat, no contest. The liner lock is just a dealbreaker there, extremely uncomfortable for me. Neat little knife though, just wish it was a backlock.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It’s the Positron for me. I’ve tried to like it a few times, sadly I have not found it enjoyable.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I failed to word this correctly. I wasn't so much looking for ones you failed to like, I meant to say "least favorite favorite" if that makes sense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Aha! Least favorite favorite. I can work with that. To add to vandelay's point, I've sharply fallen out of love with the Para 3. For me it's the FRN model, but the point remains. I still like it, works great for what I need, and I'm carrying my SE BD1N right at this moment, but gone are the days where I thought it was the end-all-be-all perfect model for me.

Takes up more pocket space than it feels like it should, the stock thickness is the same as the PM2, insides of the scales needed a little kicking down, just little annoyances here and there, where other models do it better.

SPY27 is generally what gets me to carry a Para 3 these days, not the model itself. Such is life though!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Oooooh... Least favorite favorite. Probably my C22 Michael Walker. I've mentioned it here before as the knife I've carried for more miles than any other, because it was my airline knife. It became a closet queen the moment it was disallowed. I've carried it only a couple times since. I really should move it, since there are many who would appreciate it more than I do.
Bolster

Re: What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Post by Bolster »

Least favorite favorites would be Lum & Parata. Both very cool knives. Lum due to the ability of my hand to slide forward onto the blade. Parata due to never figuring out how to use a knife with that much belly. But everything else about the Parata was way cool. I will also add just a plain ol' non-favorite here: the Delica. Fingers just can't find a comfortable position on the handle. D/K why. Wish it worked for me.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great topic. For me it would have to be the Endela. Those points are just not in the right place for my hand. I'll take the Stretch2 any day of the week. But the Endela takes up a little less real-estate in my pocket an I have one in SE, to it continues in my rotation.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

My ranking of current owned collection of spydercos from least favorite favorite to most favorite favorites:
calypso g10
Caly 3 vg10
Caly 3 superblue
Caly 3.5 zdp 189
Kopa tiger coral
Kopa stainless
Manbug g10
Ss delica
:bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm
Titanium Pingo for me. It was my first slipjoint Spydie, and it affirmed my preference for locking folders.
Crazy. I love my TiPingo.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I'd still consider the maxamet para 3 to be one of my favorites, mainly because of maxamet. I only have 3 big folders I actually use regularly, so it's high up there. Maybe I would have liked the sage 1 maxamet better, but it would be hard to part with now that it's got some patina on it.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Least favorite, favorite. That is actually easier for me for some reason. I would say the PM2. It was my 2nd Spyderco. Carried it solely for awhile then gave it to a buddy. Just liked others more. I picked up 2 more last year, and I think I appreciate it more now. Still not my favorite, but I can see why so many like it. For all its chunkiness, I find it a great and versatile work knife. The shape and blockiness provide good grip in all kind of weird ways you end up holding a knife when working. Very versatile blade shape. So even though it is not on the top for me, I end up carrying one fairly regularly. Also probably due to the combos that I have.
I like the steel and look of my current 2.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Least favorite, favorite? Native Chief, I guess. I like everything about the knife, but I always find myself putting it back in the drawer and choosing something else, instead.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:50 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm
Crazy. I love my TiPingo.

I like the Pingo and feel that it's a very classy knife. These days though i prefer something that I could stab with if needed.

Interesting replies to the thread. Reminds me that folks are built differently and have distinct needs and preferences.

It also reinforces my decision to not get particular models, such as the Parata, for the reason mentioned above by Bolster.