police serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: police serrated

Post by Wartstein »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:06 am
I have my police serrated very sharp. While it is great for cutting things, cutting potatoes with it is notably different than my thin kitchen knives. Its a very thick blade, with a steep grind and a shelf where the swedge ends. Does not slice right through kitchen food like a good thin blade does. Still a great utility knife. Love the serrations

So you have the sabre grind Police SE, correct?
Certainly, as you say, a great amd strong utility knife, but specifically forr fne kitchen work the sabre grind just can't be a good choice imo, regardless if PE or SE
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I prefer PE in almost all cases but, if considering combo-edge, I'd add the S35VN Resilience to the list.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am
WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:06 am
I have my police serrated very sharp. While it is great for cutting things, cutting potatoes with it is notably different than my thin kitchen knives. Its a very thick blade, with a steep grind and a shelf where the swedge ends. Does not slice right through kitchen food like a good thin blade does. Still a great utility knife. Love the serrations

So you have the sabre grind Police SE, correct?
Certainly, as you say, a great amd strong utility knife, but specifically forr fne kitchen work the sabre grind just can't be a good choice imo, regardless if PE or SE
Gen 2 police serrated. Very stoud sabre grind below the serrations. Its unhampered in utility usage, will cut very large ropse and load binding straps (stuff rated for 20 ton loads) effortlessly, with no pressure. Excellent utility kndife for not abusing knife, but doing more extensive cutting as those examples.

Slicing in the kitchen is a whole different geonetry. Id recommend looking into some of the spyderco kitchen knives in serrations.

Police is excellend edc knife. Cannot say it enough. I love spyderco serrations. The serrated hawk bills are unreal.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m still curious to know when the SE police 4 LW in vg10 will be released!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Well I have a serrated stretch 2 xl on the way. Looking forward to it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:24 am
Well I have a serrated stretch 2 xl on the way. Looking forward to it.

Rightfully so!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

can't let this die!

im carrying my regular ol police 4 LW in vg10 today and it is such a great knife, I only wish there was a serrated vg10 option to go with it!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:29 pm
can't let this die!

im carrying my regular ol police 4 LW in vg10 today and it is such a great knife, I only wish there was a serrated vg10 option to go with it!
Me too. I'd buy that as well. (ffg version)
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

There are police SE in vg-10. My police 3 g-10 is . I bought mine used in good condition for 85$. Maybe you can find one on one of the knife swap forums or eBay.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:29 pm
There are police SE in vg-10. My police 3 g-10 is . I bought mine used in good condition for 85$. Maybe you can find one on one of the knife swap forums or eBay.

Sure, there are!
But not in that ffg blade of the Police 4 LW.

From my (admittedly completely uneducated) perspective this should be comparably easy to do, since Spyderco already has the exactly fitting grinding wheels - they use those on the K390 Police SE, right? Should definitely work with VG10 too, I figure...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I love what everyone is saying about the older full SE POLICE models. I had one of the original first run G-10 SE models from the ATS-55 era. And I used that one a lot before I traded it. The full SE POLICE model is a dream utility blade.

The POLICE model is a great all purpose blade and the serrated version is so useful for about anything you could use it on. The G-10 handled full SE POLICE model is truly a great utility blade for almost anything you would want to use it for.

The longer blade makes an excellent folder for outdoor type stuff or even a great knife to take to work. It's one of Spyderco's most iconic models.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Tasman is also a wonderful serrated cutter. Due to its curve it slices like nuts
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Serrated Stretch 2 XL arrived today. First spyderco I've gotten that left me speechless. It's 100% what I was looking for for this application and the ergonomics are perfect for me. I don't remember the normal Stretch 2 having the same ergos. But now I'm regretting selling my k390 stretch 2.
sethwm

stretch 2 xl (was: re: police serrated)

Post by sethwm »

This knife's been amazing. Wanted to share this picture.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

R100 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 am
I use a VG10 Police 4 for food prep in the field for work and when touring by motorcycle. It's pretty much ideal and while I really like SE it is not quite as good as PE for food prep. I find the extra blade length compared to the Stretch 2 XL really does make a difference.

Dan
Despite the Spyderco POLICE model being designed for law enforcement uses that model can be used for quite a few different cutting chores. I wish I had kept one of my original ATS-55, Police models with the G-10 handles. That first series of the G-10 handled POLICE changed the game entirely.

The extra long blade on the POLICE models is sure a handy tool for food prep and about any other job requiring a blade longer than 3 inches or so.