police serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

police serrated

Post by sethwm »

My most heavily used spyderco by far is my endela serrated, vg-10. It's in the kitchen and is used in food prep all the time. We take it camping and use for food there too. I don't carry it, but I use it a lot. I think I could use a bigger knife for food. Thinking about the serrated police.

Anyone else here use the police as a food prep knife? Especially in the field (literally). Thoughts? I'd probably choose vg-10.

I believe the police is the longest folder they make. Am I right about that?
Wartstein

Re: police serrated

Post by Wartstein »

I think that the ffg VG10 (the steel you mention) Police lightweight does not come in SE, could be wrong though (?)
.And especially for food prep I'd certainly go ffg.

Yes, the Endela SE is a great cutter and I used mine for food prep quite a bit too.
But not anymore since I have the Stretch XL SE.
Its clearly onger cutting edge makes it even better in that regard and the linerless, easy to clean (but still strong enough) construction does not hurt either in food prep tasks.

I'd really consider that knife too, if I were you. Smaller than a Police for sure, but as said a lot bigger than am Endela, especially in cutting edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:32 pm
I think that the ffg VG10 (the steel you mention) Police lightweight does not come in SE, could be wrong though (?)
.And especially for food prep I'd certainly go ffg.

Yes, the Endela SE is a great cutter and I used mine for food prep quite a bit too.
But not anymore since I have the Stretch XL SE.
Its clearly onger cutting edge makes it even better in that regard and the linerless, easy to clean (but still strong enough) construction does not hurt either in food prep tasks.

I'd really consider that knife too, if I were you. Smaller than a Police for sure, but as said a lot bigger than am Endela, especially in cutting edge.
Wow I don’t know why I thought there was a vg10 SE! Stretch XL might be the winner, then.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Now I’m wondering if I should go with the serrated endura too. Cutting length is basically the same as the stretch 2 xl…
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why serrated? I love serrated for EDC but on a cutting board it tends to snag and cut into the board more than I’d like. At least my Z-cut does.

The SE police is a lot of teeth for sure. The Stretch 2 XL looks like a good option and at $112 isn’t cheap but it’s cheap for a large Spydie.

Are you using this as your main kitchen knife? I guess to each their own but real kitchen knives are so much better than tiny folders.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Why there is not a VG10 police 4 LW in full spyderedge, yet there’s one in k390 has baffled me since the model came out…

Edit for spelling.
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:47 pm
Now I’m wondering if I should go with the serrated endura too. Cutting length is basically the same as the stretch 2 xl…

The VG10 Endura does also not come in ffg and "regular" blade shape!! If yöu want ffg and SE, you'd have to go with the wharnie (not ideal for food prep imo).

The VG10 SE Endura ",regular" blade shape only comes in sabre grind.

You cöuld consider the Pac Salt 2 SE in LC 200 (ffg of course)
Basically a linerless Endura with blunter tip and larger opening hole (and ny that steeper thumb ramp).
I prefer VG10 over LC though since the former seems to have better edge retention in my use, but the difference is really not huge and the added corrsosion resistance of LC could even be a plus in food prep.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:03 am
sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:47 pm

The VG10 Endura does also not come in ffg and "regular" blade shape!! If yöu want ffg and SE, you'd have to go with the wharnie (not ideal for food prep imo).

The VG10 SE Endura ",regular" blade shape only comes in sabre grind.

You cöuld consider the Pac Salt 2 SE in LC 200 (ffg of course)
Basically a linerless Endura with blunter tip and larger opening hole (and ny that steeper thumb ramp).
I prefer VG10 over LC though since the former seems to have better edge retention in my use, but the difference is really not huge and the added corrsosion resistance of LC could even be a plus in food prep.
Decisions decisions…
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:00 am
Why there is not a VG10 police 4 LW in full spyderedge, yet there’s one in k390 has baffled me since the middle came out…

Same with the Endura!!

FFG SE , regular blade shape just in K390, not in VG10!

A VG10 ffg SE Endura (serrations just like on the Endela) and "regular" blade shape would even pretty much be my dream EDC knife.
Though my need for one is not that big anymore since I have the Stretch XL SE
R100

Post by R100 »

I use a VG10 Police 4 for food prep in the field for work and when touring by motorcycle. It's pretty much ideal and while I really like SE it is not quite as good as PE for food prep. I find the extra blade length compared to the Stretch 2 XL really does make a difference.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 am
I use a VG10 Police 4 for food prep in the field for work and when touring by motorcycle. It's pretty much ideal and while I really like SE it is not quite as good as PE for food prep. I find the extra blade length compared to the Stretch 2 XL really does make a difference.

Dan

The ideal and "regular" edge length is endura / stretch xl - ish for me, but I believe that even more is a plus indeed especially in some food prep tasks.

Now on PE vs SE in an (do it all edc ) folder (and not dedicated kitchen knife):

I actually came to prefer SE, mainly cause of its more acute (chisel grind) edge angle.
Serrations are also generally better in "breaking/initially penetrating" surfaces: Good for cutting bread (think of dedicated bread knives, always SE) or tomatoes.

Now very sharp (and perhaps still toorrhy) PE works very well too in that regards: But SE still does when somewhat dulled already.

Just my 2c
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i were you, i'd wait for a stretch 2 xl salt. no such knife has been announced, but it seems almost inevitable since the s2xl is a linerless seki model. it literally only needs a different sheet of steel that's already sitting there at the factory.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stretch XL in spyderedge is your best bet. Keep in mind that it’s linerless and this might be a good thing when we talk food prep. VG10 is stainless enough but you might wait for the salt XL if you so choose.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

R100 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 am

Dan
I agree that PE is in general better for food prep. The SE cuts more raggedly, but it always cuts and in the situations I’m using it for is rather have that reliability. It’s also better on softer items that might have harder surfaces.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:07 am
prndltech wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:00 am
Why there is not a VG10 police 4 LW in full spyderedge, yet there’s one in k390 has baffled me since the middle came out…

Same with the Endura!!

FFG SE , regular blade shape just in K390, not in VG10!

A VG10 ffg SE Endura (serrations just like on the Endela) and "regular" blade shape would even pretty much be my dream EDC knife.
Though my need for one is not that big anymore since I have the Stretch XL SE

Then there’s this regarding the police:

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:27 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 am
There is confirmation that we will see a SE Police4 but I am unsure if it will be K390 or VG10?
Hi Darby,

the plan is for both.

sal
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:20 pm
Anyone else here use the police as a food prep knife? Especially in the field (literally). Thoughts? I'd probably choose vg-10.

I have two Police 4 K390 knives, one PE and one SE. I've used them both in the kitchen. The plain edge is good. The serrated edge is NOT good. It is BAD. The serrated edge is not symmetrical will pull to one side. You can't do straight, consistent slicing with a blade that pulls to the side. Get a plain edge if you want to do culinary work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:25 pm
sethwm wrote:

I have two Police 4 K390 knives, one PE and one SE. I've used them both in the kitchen. The plain edge is good. The serrated edge is NOT good. It is BAD. The serrated edge is not symmetrical will pull to one side. You can't do straight, consistent slicing with a blade that pulls to the side. Get a plain edge if you want to do culinary work.

Different experience here, and that from doing quire some food prep with folders (though never a Police): SE works better for me, reasons see my previous post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94264#p1692901.

Does not mean that SE in principle is better than PE, and probably even less so in more professionell culinary work (otherwise Chefs would use SE knives)
But in all purpose EDC folder and for basic food prep this is the case just for me personally. Even more so if one can't or does not want tp keep the (plain) edge really sharp all the time (SE works fine in food prep even a bit dulled).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

In principle I agree with Rusty, but with some caveats. After getting the 4.5" kitchen utility knife and a counter puppy in SE, I've used both quite extensively in the kitchen. The sideways pull is a bit annoying at first, but you learn to compensate. There are some tasks where they even excel over my PE kitchen knives, but admittedly I still use them a bit more than they deserve just because they are there when I need a clean knife. If I also had their PE counterparts I think their usage would drop quite noticeably.

The point of all that ambiguous rambling about SE in the kitchen is just to say, beyond dedicated bread knives I could easily forgo SE in the kitchen, BUT... as you move the food prep out of the kitchen and into less facilitated and more weight constrained surroundings, think camping, backpacking, etc. I think SE starts to make more and more sense as an alternative. While not best at everything, it can do everything and for longer. This realization was the primary motivation for ordering the K05 SE, but I've yet to get around to making a sheath for it, so it's stuck in the kitchen for the time being.

For a while now I've perceived the longer, linerless SE models to be some of the best compromise to be made for a one and done do it all outdoor folder that's also capable of food prep, but lately I've been looking for ideal use cases for the less loved CE blades, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could be a pretty decent choice for a general use and food prep outdoor folder.
And before the mob tries to shoot me down, a typical outdoor for me is day hikes/ski trips (with or without a fishing gear) and backpacking/wild camping. Bushcraft, outdoor camping, big game hunting and survival are different beasts with more specific knife requirements.
As coincident will have it, my first ever CE knife arrives at the post office today. I didn't even think of this specific use case when I ordered it, so this one is simply to get me started. Then maybe add some alternatives as I gain experience and find out where it might provide value over PE/SE.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I have my police serrated very sharp. While it is great for cutting things, cutting potatoes with it is notably different than my thin kitchen knives. Its a very thick blade, with a steep grind and a shelf where the swedge ends. Does not slice right through kitchen food like a good thin blade does. Still a great utility knife. Love the serrations
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:25 pm
sethwm wrote:

Different experience here, and that from doing quire some food prep with folders (though never a Police): SE works better for me, reasons see my previous post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94264#p1692901.

Does not mean that SE in principle is better than PE, and probably even less so in more professionell culinary work (otherwise Chefs would use SE knives)
But in all purpose EDC folder and for basic food prep this is the case just for me personally. Even more so if one can't or does not want tp keep the (plain) edge really sharp all the time (SE works fine in food prep even a bit dulled).
Yeah this is my feeling too. For me when cooking, a sharp PE is best. A sharp SE is second best, a dull SE is third best, and a dull PE is last place. I prefer the SE for camping and quick things (like cutting tops off of strawberries for my daughter, opening plastic-sealed meat, etc) because I'm confident it's always gonna work.