which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phaust

Re: which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Post by phaust »

Caly 3.5
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:28 am
Shaman, Manix and UKPK. Hands down the best ergos of any Spyderco to hit my hands. I find most models I've tried to be pretty comfortable, but these 3 are pretty much perfect.

Gotta agree with the TKO ^. I like a tighter radius at the front of the index finger. Manix and Caly-types have it. As much as some love the Delica/Endura, I've sold all of mine long ago, their gently sloping index area "crowds" my fingers uncomfortably, and my hand tends to "hunt," re-gripping over and over, looking for a stable and comfortable grip. Whereas with the knives TKO pictured, no hunting...grip just locks in comfortably.

The mules have the same issue for me. I will sometimes regrind the index finger area into a tighter curve for a grip where my hand isn't constantly searching for a resting position, as seen below.
Attachments
cherry swell IMG_2917 sm.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've been quite impressed with the Para 3 G-10 in cold weather. It's surprisingly easy to use with gloves and it always feels very secure in hand.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

UKPK for me. Second close is the Sage1. A XL Dfly could change everything.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Shaman, Manix and UKPK. Hands down the best ergos of any Spyderco to hit my hands. I find most models I've tried to be pretty comfortable, but these 3 are pretty much perfect.

I will second these 3. Definitely top of the ergos for me. Maybe substitute in the Caly 3.5. same same
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Rockjumper with the clip tip-down is my favorite.

The Siren, Caribbean, UKPK, and Manix are also excellent.

The Delica doesn’t actually fit my hand that well, but I find it good enough to still enjoy it. It’s a great little knife. I guess I was surprised.

I was also surprised by the Rescue ClipItTool. Originally, you’ll find to work better than assumed. I’m not too interested in the other tools, though, so I’ve messed with mine to remove them.
It is actually rather comfortable and secure, only much slimmer now. The wavy handle makes it neither too uncomfortable or especially comfortable. However, the waves give your fingers a very nice grip. With some refinement, it could be even better too.

The blade is also among Spyderco’s best ever serrated blades for slicing. It is ground thinner than my wharncliffe Delica 4, even at the tip.
My mod to remove the tools isn’t perfect, so there are gaps and things don’t quite line up right, but it locks securely with minimal play and cuts like crazy!
Highly recommend anyone who likes serrations to try to grab one before they’re gone everywhere. I really hope Eric has more designs that use the blade.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Spyderco: Manix 2 XL
Non-Spyderco: Grimsmo Norseman
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I really like the Lil' Temperance 3 LW. It fills the hand in a very comfortable manner. I think this is due to the width of the handle, which makes it (for me anyways) a bit bulky in a front pocket (it's great in a back pocket).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:12 am
the manix is number one for me. spyderco couldn't have made it any more for my hands if i had been there during the design process. it is perfection.

the delica is probably the worst of the models i own with the first bump falling directly under my middle finger, but it's not uncomfortable, just less good than it could be. i really think the rockjumper and leafjumper would've disco's the delica if they had all come out at the same time......
Agree on the Manix (can only talk about the LW though). It fits my hand, though tight, just still extremely well, in both grips.
Only thing with the Manix for me: In really tough cutting (actually the kind I rarely do with folders anyway) the handle starts to get uncomfortable, its corners dig into the hand.

/ On the Delica: I actually really like its ergos, and my hands are not small.
But what I've found: On Delica, Endela, Endura it makes quite a difference if one places the thumb on the ramp (places the hand a bit further back) or rather on the flat of the blade like I do most of the time (hand a bit more forward on the handle).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I suppose things can also be broken down to material ergonomics and design ergonomics. FRN is more likely to be favored over something like say Titanium; however, my Mantra 2 is like a handshake with an old friend whereas the Delica not so much for me. Material and design are both important. Hands come in different sizes & shapes so design is arguably more subjective.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I think for me it's the Manix. To be fair, I haven't cut anything tougher with it than some thick cardboard, but the handle was comfortable.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Ergos are a very nuanced factor in knives, like the rest of the knife, it broken down into a specific category of use which factors in the knifes attributes and restrictions/limitations, ideally the type of handle that’s going to have the best possible ergos is a full hand grip fixed blade handle. I haven’t held a lot of fixed blade spydercos, but knives like the temperance, enuff 2, schempp rock, the bill moran all look incredibly comfortable in hand to me. Folders are a bit more limited, but that didn’t stop spyderco and especially Sal from achieving folders with some of the most advanced ergonomics in the knife world, for me the calypso/Caly series, & the stretch series first come to mind. But of course there’s countless of other greats..lil temp 1 or 2, the shaman. Could go on & on.
:bug-red-white
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Without hesitation, the Enuff. But it feels like cheating to nominate a fixie.

Folder? Manix 2, Stretch 2 XL, Chaparral and UKPK work great for me. Put contoured scales on the PM2, and it's great also. Putting contoured or chamfered scales on any Spydie improves it for me, but I guess that's cheating too. For example, the shape of the Manix 2 handle makes it an ergonomic masterpiece, but replacing the scales with linerless titanium from Rockscales Design elevates it to a higher plane, in my opinion.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Native 5 : lightweight or g10
Just one more knife...
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I will second these 3. Definitely top of the ergos for me. Maybe substitute in the Caly 3.5. same same
Thirds⬆️…I only own the manix 2lw but I’ve held the other two at a local shop and agree…definitely see the 15v manix 2/shaman/ukpk in my collection
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Kris.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1. Autonomy 1. Because I generally can't stand finger grooves, but this knife feels like it was designed specifically for my own hand. The grip just absolutely locks your hand into place and as long as your fingers keep gripping you're not slipping off this knife. This is the only knife I've owned that has just felt right from the very start, I never had to adapt to it, didn't have to develop muscle memory to get used to using it, never get hot spots from extended hard use. This knife feels like what you get when you design a knife to be a high performance cutting tool first and above all other features without worrying about aesthetics or what may or may not be popular or trendy. I also love that it doesn't have one notch of jimping anywhere on the whole knife and it absolutely doesn't need any.

2. Caribbean. Because I love how the handle is very neutral and doesn't force your hand into any particular position (strangely the complete opposite of why I love the Autonomy 1), I like how tall the handle is because it fills your hand nicely, and I absolutely love the way the blade and handle come together and bring the edge right back to the handle without any dead space between them, and the front of the handle is shaped into a nice little guard that allows your index finger to get real close and in-line with the edge but also keeps your finger away from what's being cut. If I could change anything I'd give it a flat spine like a Shaman.

3. Autonomy 2. Because it's a beautiful middle ground between an Autonomy 1 and a Caribbean. Not much else to say there.

I could probably list 50 knives but those are really my top heavy hitters as far as ergonomics go. Some honorable mentions that I'm too lazy to post pics of:

Ayoob
Shaman
Rock/Leaf Jumper
Jumpmaster 2 if you need a monster fixed blade
Native Chief (Native 5 too by extension but I like the bigger Chief version more)
Military
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

For me the Lil Native feels like is was made for my hand. As a smaller blade is is a delight to use. For larger blades I find the Manix 2 XL very ergonomic in a variety of grip permutations, and the PM2 is pretty excellent as well. I have high hopes for the military 2 when it eventually arrives.

The dragonfly 2 has to get an honourable mention, although I generally find back locks a bit clunky compared to comp or CBBL.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Stretch probably feels the best to me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”