which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Post by ladybug93 »

it's like wolverine in reverse 🤯
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:22 pm
Stretch probably feels the best to me.

Yep, all the Stretches are great.

Choked up I even prefer the shorter (but wide radius), shallower choil of the discontinued Stretch 1: Gives me even more control than the deeper, "modern" Stretch choil.

Gripped behind the choil: Ergos just perfect with thumb on the ramp, still very good with more of a hammer grip (when held that way the handle could offer just a hair more "meat" under the index finger for me).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

The Caly 3/UKPK for me. They just melt into my hand with no thought.

Most Spydercos have extremely well designed ergonomics.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:12 am
the manix is number one for me. spyderco couldn't have made it any more for my hands if i had been there during the design process. it is perfection.

the native 5 and sage 5 basically fit my hands the same way and i like them also, but not the overall package as much.

for everything else i've tried, i find they all lock into my hands different ways. none of them are bad, but some are better than others. even the ikuchi with it's thin grip doesn't bother me because it's just part of the design. it's funny that it doesn't bother me when i don't like the pm2 or shaman because they don't fill my hand enough under the ring and pinky fingers, but the difference is in the intended design. the shaman and pm2 are designed to be hand filling and they miss that mark for me, whereas the ikuchi is designed to be sleek and hits that mark perfectly.

the delica is probably the worst of the models i own with the first bump falling directly under my middle finger, but it's not uncomfortable, just less good than it could be. i really think the rockjumper and leafjumper would've disco's the delica if they had all come out at the same time. with the manix being my favorite, it's probably weird to say, but i think neutral grips, like the palm swells on the rockjumper/leafjumper and caribbean, are the way to go.
I agree with the highlighted text. A palm swell with hooks at either end gives a grip both comfortable and secure. Add a good texture and some modest rounding at the edges, chef’s kiss.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Almost every Spyderco is awsome in ergomomy. I just go with Para 3 LW.
Got the best from the Millie and PM2, but in compact and very comfortable package. Round edges helps a lot.
Honorable mention C95 Manix backlock. Smooth handle with no jimping. Fits like a glove😇
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

For “working” the Millie and the Manix 2XL get my nod but they can be made better through customization and extra rounding of the scales. I think the Millie 2 will be in the same league for me. The Civilian also is in this league for me, but it is strictly a defense knife. The Native is hard to argue against except I prefer the larger variants. I agree about the Caribbean too for the handle and the blade shape. Ergonomics is somewhat subjective because of hand size and use. The Spydiechef is an ergonomic dream considering its blade shape in conjunction with the handle and intended use but the handle is not necessarily super comfortable. The Shaman shines for its extra contoured scales and that’s why I have so many and why it gets carried so much as well. Some ergonomics come down to how well they carry on me in my desired position. That plays a huge roll in if they get carried and thus used. Carry ergonomics are big with me. I will change clips to better enhance carry ergonomics for my inside waistband carry.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have had only a limited selection of Spyderco knives, but my personal view is - mainly because very most of Sypderco knives come with flat scales and more or less chamfered edges, none of them is a 'masterpiece' in ergonomics, but some are trully very goof. That includes:
- Urban (even better than UKPK and worlds better than Chaparral)
- Brouwer (probably the best ergonomics of all Spydercos I tried)
- Schempp Bowie - this one is special - it impresses me how well and securely can it be held given its very peculiar design. I simply love the feel in hand even though on an absolute scale it is not really super ergonomic knife

Knives that do not fit MY hand all that great are:
- Manix LW - I am simply not compatible with it somehow, I even refrained from getting the 15V and that should tell you something.
. Native 5 (way too boxy), but it is IMO and if k390 Leaf Jumper ever comes out, then I will most likely never get the Native 5 (which of course is very tempting because of Magnacut)
- Para /LW 3 - love the knife, but handle is too short when not using the choil
- Ayoob - don't get me wrong, love the knife and will 100% keep it (and maybe even get a second one), but the handle IS too thin. I may get my friend to make me custom scales (or may try to make some myself) just to see whether I could improve (for me) an already awesome knife
- Tuff - this surprised me. There is nothing wrong wit the ergonomics here, just my hand does not match to it - the 'hump' on the bottom side of the handle is where my middle finger wants to be and it created a hot spot in less than a minute. I sold the knife and miss it.
- GB1 abd GB2 - two fantastic knives no doubt - and especially the GB1. But the 'S curve' shape of the spine of the handle not only made it uncomfortable, but also caused the knife when force was applied during cutting to tend to rotate upwards.

... as you can see, I am quite picky. That's just the way I am, it is not Spyderco's fault :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Dang-after literally reading everyone’s preferences I handled each model I own and have to include the Caribbean (duh) and the siren…also realized I only own a fraction of what is mentioned here and need to get back to my local knife stores…one is purty cool-their motto is “world’s coolest knife shop”…you can actually open the glass cases from each brand and help yourself- no “hey can I see this one please?”…so that’s a perfect place to start 👍
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:32 am
Dang-after literally reading everyone’s preferences I handled each model I own and have to include the Caribbean (duh) and the siren…also realized I only own a fraction of what is mentioned here and need to get back to my local knife stores…one is purty cool-their motto is “world’s coolest knife shop”…you can actually open the glass cases from each brand and help yourself- no “hey can I see this one please?”…so that’s a perfect place to start 👍
I love their policy on handling models. That is why they are my favorite.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:28 am
Shaman, Manix and UKPK. Hands down the best ergos of any Spyderco to hit my hands. I find most models I've tried to be pretty comfortable, but these 3 are pretty much perfect.

Rick gets it right, but I would add the P.I.T.S to the line up.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The Yojimbo 2. My thumb is always over the spine of the blade in whats called, I believe, the Filipino grip. This is how i treat all knives, and although the classic humps of spyderco blades allow this to varying degrees, it's nice to find respite in a knife that is made specifically for it.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:33 am
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:32 am
I love their policy on handling models. That is why they are my favorite.
Mine too👊
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have to ask: Which of the many Spydie models I now own is NOT an ergonomic masterpiece. That would be simpler for me to answer.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

PM2 was always perfect for me and the Native 5 LW really surprised me with how ergonomic it is for a smaller knife.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For fixed blades, I like the Moran's handle best for my hands. For folders, it would be the Stretch. However, if the Lil' Temp 1 came in a left-handed version, then it would take the no 1 spot for me.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I just traded for shaman cruwear that has micarta scales put on it and is the best spyderco I've handled to date. Wish all shaman had the same scales. I'll have to inquire who makes them and get more. They are thicker than factory and give a very solid feel in the hand. I dont carry my factory shaman often as I find the g10 a bit slippery. Not so with the micarta. Really like the shaman now
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dragonfly 2 is an ergo Mt Rushmore for me and Siren is working that way as well
Darklight111

Post by Darklight111 »

Spyderco PPT, hands down.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Rockjumper/Leafjumper

No choils. No deep finger grooves or points. No cut out for a Compression lock tab. Handle design allows the hand to get close to the edge while still providing a guard.

In a close second is the Spyderco Astute, for many of the same reasons.

Dragonfly is third, because it uses a choil. If they design a handle forward version, it might make it to the number 1 spot.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

To follow up my last post......Rc bladeworks makes great scales for the shaman. Changed my whole opinion of the knife. A solid favorite now. Cheers