Still the best pocket knife Spyderco ever made

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Still the best pocket knife Spyderco ever made

Post by elena86 »

This baby. Light, comfy, supercharged with the K390 steel and veeery thin behind the edge(0.015''). Oh, let's not forget the 2.61'' long blade(until they decided to dwarf it but I was smart enough to buy three of these gems). Looking forward to the Metropolitan.
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Re: Still the best pocket knife Spyderco ever made

Post by aicolainen »

Love the ergos, but sadly I got in too late and have the dwarfed blade. It’s OK for when a slip joint is required, but the bulk to edge ratio sadly keeps it from seeping much regular carry.

What is the idea with the Metropolitan? Larger/smaller?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:50 am
Love the ergos, but sadly I got in too late and have the dwarfed blade. It’s OK for when a slip joint is required, but the bulk to edge ratio sadly keeps it from seeping much regular carry.

What is the idea with the Metropolitan? Larger/smaller?
Larger as in 2,75 inch blade to fill the gap between the(sadly dwarfed) Urban and the UKPK. Sal said they are waiting for a proto allready....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Interesting. Could probably fit a 2,75” blade in a handle that’s almost urban sized. Just maybe there is some hope I can have pretty much the same perfect ergos with a more usable blade length and shape.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 am
Interesting. Could probably fit a 2,75” blade in a handle that’s almost urban sized. Just maybe there is some hope I can have pretty much the same perfect ergos with a more usable blade length and shape.

How are the knife laws in Norway ? My daughter and my grandsons live in Oslo(Fornebu) and I visit them from time to time. No locking blades I guess...
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Marius, I quite agree. Somehow the Italians did something right. That is a great pocket knife and I have been carrying mine all week. I am hoping against hope they don't mess up the Metropolitan.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I have the same knife and it is a really nice do-it-all EDC knife with a decent steel.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 am

How are the knife laws in Norway ? My daughter and my grandsons live in Oslo(Fornebu) and I visit them from time to time. No locking blades I guess...
Wow! How cool.

Norwegian knife laws, hmm. Sure you want to open that can of worms?
I’ve written about this before, and the short answer is: they are plain stupid.

Slightly longer and simplified; as a general rule, it’s illegal to carry or bring a knife with you in public areas. There are exemptions for good causes, some explicit, but most are not. Except for the explicit exemptions, which are pretty obvious, carrying for any other reason is pretty much a gamble.
We do however have longstanding traditions for carrying, using and making knives, so as you move out of the large cities and the most crime ridden areas, the exceptions becomes more and more the rule.

Some history and touching on the subject of non-locking: Until sometime in the nineties, there were no restrictions on knife carry, so the change introduced back then was quite dramatic. One thing that was noted when the new law was outlined, was that to make this change palatable for the public, typical pocket knives should not be subject to the new restrictions. The topic of knife locks is not mentioned anywhere, so when it comes to the definition of “typical pocket knives” we are once again left to guess. Now the main problem with all of this is that this exemption never made it into the actual text of the finished law. These considerations from the drafting process still carries legal weight, but since it’s not explicitly stated you risk going to court before this is taken into consideration and your case may eventually be dismissed. Quite the inconvenience.

Unfortunately Oslo/Fornebu is not the ideal place to carry a knife if you visit Norway. Eastern parts of Oslo is pretty much the only area in Norway where there is any notable knife crime. So even if Fornebu is on the west side, police officers around Oslo are generally not very forgiving when it comes to knives.
When I visit Oslo I typically don’t carry a knife into the city areas, and never for social events or in the evening/night time. There is an explicit exemption for outdoor activities, so if you’re going for a hike in Nordmarka or try your luck fishing in the Oslofjord, you are well within the legal boundaries of knife carry. Also worth noting: as long as a knife is legal to own and suited/not unsuited for the good cause you are using it for (e.g. outdoors), there is no restrictions on blade length (though you should keep it under 10”/25cm unless you have a very good explanation), locks, etc.

If I haven’t bored you to sleep yet, I’ve written a bit on this topic here as well:
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1679262
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:45 am
Norwegian knife laws, hmm. Sure you want to open that can of worms?...

Interesting. Not so very different from my distillation of California law. And by distillation, I don't mean the law, I mean the shortened version of it that I carry around in my head, which seems a rough enough proxy for local law, that it keeps me out of trouble:

"Aside from a few knives that have achieved symbolic value by virtue of movies and cultural lore (switchblade, butterfly, boot knife, dagger), we don't much care what you fold up and put into your pocket, unless you use it in an unapproved way, in which case, no amount of 'being legal' will save you from the wrath of the state."

Anyway, cool lightweight slippie here. Am hoping for a locking version soon (LW Caly).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Europeans have an understandable bias toward slippies (think hyper-restrictive knife-laws), and the Urban, as a design, is hard to argue against as the best slippie ever. I had five at one time.

But Maniago’s production of this design (and the UKPKs, too) is not what Golden’s was (I have both). The pivots are consequentially different (think spinning pivots not if but when Ds in FRN LWs deform), and some variants have not been created equal (think AEB-L).

I love my Pattadese, but I’m leery of Maniago, and don’t much like having to trust but verify. None of my other Spydie models (now upwards of 90 from around the world) have have been remotely as vexing as my Maniago Urbans, and I remain genuinely perplexed why Spyderco has been silent on the subject.

I’d probably have a couple of Damasteel Urbans by now, had Spyderco been its typical transparent and responsive self. I still don’t know if this variant is a CQI’d one or not.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:43 pm
Europeans have an understandable bias toward slippies (think hyper-restrictive knife-laws), ...
I don't want to let that go unchallenged, as this is a very superficial way of looking at it, because there is no such thing as a European knife law. The bandwidth ranges from "everything is allowed" to "almost everything is forbidden", depending on the country in the EU.

My friends in the US should be able to understand that because it's very similar to their own situation.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Europeans have an understandable bias toward slippies (think hyper-restrictive knife-laws), ...
I don't want to let that go unchallenged, as this is a very superficial way of looking at it, because there is no such thing as a European knife law. The bandwidth ranges from "everything is allowed" to "almost everything is forbidden", depending on the country in the EU.

Hey Peter, and I am extremely glad that you and I live in our "basically everything is allowed" country Austria... :smlling-eyes

Let's hope this will never change (both our knife laws and us living here...;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

My friends in the US should be able to understand that because it's very similar to their own situation.
Points taken.

However, there are only a handful urban jurisdictions in the US where restrictions are severe (Boston, I’m looking you just over my horizon), whereas in Europe, entire nations might take notice of locking knives and/or blades greater than a certain length and say no, don’t carry.

In the US, any jurisdiction must always weigh the Constitution’s Second Amendment in whatever restrictions it contemplates. There is no constitutional deterrent in any European jurisdiction, so far as I know, against being too stringent.

Complicating this comparison is, of course, the nature of crime on either side of the Atlantic. Guns are the obvious worry here, knives more so in the countries of Europe, right?

And if so, better restrict them, hence my assertion that slippies are, at least, more accepted by Europeans, especially ones who travel the EU’s many jurisdictions, one to the next.

So, having taken your points, have I, in fact, mistaken them?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

In this modern society we all live in if it is in the US or the EU carrying a knife publicly is never a thing you should do noticeable no matter the local laws. Carrying and using a knife in public needs to be thought over for every use these days. Like Chris reeves moto think twice , cut ones…

Over the Urban i have a red exclusive with s90v and i like it allot. I use it regularly and it is a fine knife but i would never call it the best that spyderco ever made. I have many many other models in mind for that. But i am glad it has some hardcore fans.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

apollo wrote: In this modern society we all live in if it is in the US or the EU carrying a knife publicly is never a thing you should do noticeable no matter the local laws. Carrying and using a knife in public needs to be thought over for every use these days. Like Chris reeves moto think twice , cut ones…
I am fortunate enough to live in an area where carrying a 4.5 inch fixed blade conspicuously on my hip in the grocery store is totally fine and doesn't raise any eyebrows. It is sad that it can't be like that everywhere.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

apollo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm
In this modern society we all live in if it is in the US or the EU carrying a knife publicly is never a thing you should do noticeable no matter the local laws. Carrying and using a knife in public needs to be thought over for every use these days. Like Chris reeves moto think twice , cut ones…

Over the Urban i have a red exclusive with s90v and i like it allot. I use it regularly and it is a fine knife but i would never call it the best that spyderco ever made. I have many many other models in mind for that. But i am glad it has some hardcore fans.
Had no idea there had been such a wonderful version. I would have loved to have had that one!
sal

Post by sal »

Funny how "best" is such a wide word?

As a designer trying to create functional products/tools for an ever elusive market, we (designers) shoot our best shot to take an idea (mere muscle twitches and gland secretions) and turn it into a working tool, is a guess at best.

Not only do we guess about who will appreciate the design, but also, are there enough of that type to support the production of the model.

When I first began designing modern slip joints, about 20 years ago, Most of my staff thought I was nuts. I had the help of the British knife guys on the British forums. We "designed to a law". Then I expanded the concept to different sizes. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect something like the Urban would be called the "best" by anyone.

Just some thoughts to share.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wonder if even Slipits would be restricted in Japan. From what I've heard, Japan has some of the strictest knife carry laws on the planet, especially in the bigger cities.

Jim
apollo

Post by apollo »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 pm
apollo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm

Had no idea there had been such a wonderful version. I would have loved to have had that one!
You can still buy it. Its an Exclusive from Heinnie Haynes.
But since there where a few problems with some of them do ask if they check the knife before sending. I did with mine and its a perfect little knife.

Here is mine.

apollo

Post by apollo »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm
apollo wrote: In this modern society we all live in if it is in the US or the EU carrying a knife publicly is never a thing you should do noticeable no matter the local laws. Carrying and using a knife in public needs to be thought over for every use these days. Like Chris reeves moto think twice , cut ones…
I am fortunate enough to live in an area where carrying a 4.5 inch fixed blade conspicuously on my hip in the grocery store is totally fine and doesn't raise any eyebrows. It is sad that it can't be like that everywhere.
I am very glad for you. But know this it only takes a 1 rotten apple to ruin a perfect basket. I hope i am wrong but if i was you i would enjoy it as much as possible before some “smart” guy comes along and ruin’s it for you just to lower some crime rates or whatever.