Grippy scales for Kapara?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toddm

Grippy scales for Kapara?

Post by Toddm »

Recently picked up a Kapara in 20cv, and it came with black linen micarta scales but they are pretty shiny/slick, and didn't come with the original G10 unfortunately. Between the thin/small handle and the slick scales I can't say I'm a fan of how it feels in the hand. That said I really like the blade shape so before I catch and release I thought I'd see if anyone has found aftermarket options for grippy scales for the Kapara? I see Rips Garage lists some canvas micarta scales for them, but wasn't sure if they'd add that much more grip esp. since they add another 35% to the knife investment. Searched old posts but none of them really talked about grip.

Thanks in advance
Senfkarte

Re: Grippy scales for Kapara?

Post by Senfkarte »

Can't help you with the scales. All I can do is to push this topic back to the top.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

micarta can be very grippy. Just depends on how it’s finished.

You could just sand your scales with like 320 grit paper.
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

The RGT tero tuff scales are pretty grippy. Have them on a Shaman. I have the stock DLT exclusive grey g10 scales, it's smooth. I'm just trying to make a stormtrooper one eventually.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am fully aware of that the Kapara originally was designed as kind of an "indoor office food prep" knife (hence it has that long, and very "low" cutting edge (like in one can use of the whole edge on a board, differently to say an Endura)), and for that role it s perfectly suited!

But when I had mine, I always wished for an more "outdoorsy, rough conditions" - version - beginning, YES, with much grippier scales - especially important since the handle is so slim and does not offer too much to hold on anyway. And then a larger comp.lock cutout or a linerlock.

It is entirely possible that I get another Kapara one day, it has some much going for it (pretty low weight and long cutting edge like on an Endura, but more compact carry for example) - and then I´d be glad to know where to get grippier after market scales (and a NON deep carry clip) too!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have the RGT Canvas Micarta. It does offer better traction when closing. It is still a small contoured grip, so you still have little real estate when closing the knife. Honestly though, if you don't like the feel in hand I'm not sure the extra grip will add much. I wanted more traction with closing the knife which this did. Once in hand, I think the ergos play a bigger part than the traction if that makes sense.

Last edited by JSumm on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I have the RGT python micarta on my kapara and it’s perfectly grippy.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Thanks for this thread and to the contributors. :1stplace:

The smooth scales on the DLT exclusive in 20 CV are the very thing that has kept this Kapara DLT Exclusive out of my EDC.

Ordering some double black from DLT. Any tips tricks or Gotcha's to be wary of installing?

Nothing worse than a great design ruined by smooth scales that make it a hazard to open and close.

Lol cataloging my Spyderco's and reorganizing them in the gun safe yesterday I came across the hated Smooth Scale PM2 From Knife Center in Cruwear.

I had to do a double take I remembered recently there was a smooth scaled knife I had purchased from them for the Cruwear and remembered it flying out of my hands. (My Hands tend to be very dry as I wash them allot due to my job)

Lol I thought it was the Manix but after pulling the Smooth Cruwear Manix from them out I was shocked by how well the handle prevented slippage and realized it had to be a different model. In fact I was so mad at it I thought I had sold it, Lord knows I was sorely tempted to at the time.

It was the PM2 but when I pulled it from the box to inspect it, it had normal scales then I remembered I had replaced the scales from a seller on Ebay selling used G10 regular scales under $20.00 as I recall.

Then I located the smooth scales in a zip lock and well Mystery solved.

Thanks again all.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Toddm wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:42 pm
Recently picked up a Kapara in 20cv, and it came with black linen micarta scales but they are pretty shiny/slick, and didn't come with the original G10 unfortunately. Between the thin/small handle and the slick scales I can't say I'm a fan of how it feels in the hand. That said I really like the blade shape so before I catch and release I thought I'd see if anyone has found aftermarket options for grippy scales for the Kapara? I see Rips Garage lists some canvas micarta scales for them, but wasn't sure if they'd add that much more grip esp. since they add another 35% to the knife investment. Searched old posts but none of them really talked about grip.

Thanks in advance
I asked the question… check out the comments.

https://youtu.be/0rBAllF_tGk
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Got RGT micarta scales on my normal version and it works just fine with enough grip.
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

I tried the RGT Micarta, better than the linen for sure, but still slippery, even rough sanded compared to something like peel ply G10. I think the reality is that the handle shape and being thin top to bottom makes it a poor fit for my hand. It also doesn't have any texture/jimping cut into the liners/blade etc. Probably just my hand, I'm also not a big fan of the Shaman handle. For me it only feels comfortable/secure when chocked up using the choil. It tapers too much at the rear and ends up being too short to feel secure with the smooth G10 in the "normal" hand position.

There are some knives that just lock into your hand nicely. Manix 2 is one of them, but honestly I think in general that knife doesn't get enough credit for how good it really is.