Calling Larrin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Calling Larrin

Post by Freediver »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:08 pm
Freediver wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 am
Light the Larrin-Signal. I imagine it’s the pair of
glasses in his logo on the night sky.
Haha I love it, nicely done!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Christian Noble wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm
This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena - that and flint knapping is one of the first bloodsports - bandaids are you friend.

All that said and using an obsidian edge as the best example, it’s so thin (down to 3 nanometers) you are at the molecular level - a DNA strand is 2.5 nanometers by comparison. As it was explained to me, the edge is almost liquid like in that the particles of a super thin edge immediately start settling and making it less thin, therefore not as sharp.

Would think it would be to a similar, albeit lessser, extent the same with metal knives (in addition to oxidation).

Fascinating post! Had you thought of starting a thread (perhaps in the off topic section) on flint knapping? I bet a lot of us are keen to tune in...I know I am!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:13 am
Christian Noble wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm
This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena
Whaaaat? Do you make stone tools? WAY cool! If you wouldn't mind posting a few pics, I'm sure we'd all like to see.

Here is a pic for fun with a few bird points and an atlatla size point I made. Knife is a Rob Simonich Bitterroot in Talonite.

I believe this will be a more practical picture however, note how a hafted stone knife edge is pretty much serrated. Something like Otzi, the 5,300 year old iceman https://www.iceman.it/en/equipment/, carried as an EDC. While the hafted-knife would certainly cut, its not a slicer; most primitives, if they need to skin an animal or a precise cut, would use a freshly made stone flake if available.

Here is a video I made a longtime ago, I am sure they are much better versions now. Being knife folks here, the video shows an expedient way to make a stone cutting tool - nice to know if you are caught without your Spyderco. Basically you want rock with high glass content (volcanic) if possible; by gently banging some rocks together and listening you will start to get a sense of it, the higher the pitch the better as more glass content. Once you find your rock you could smash against other rocks with less glass content (hammer stone). The hammer stone can be in your hand or on the ground, either way you should end up with some sharp edges (obviously be super careful with your eyes). OR with a little knowledge you can make something more useful (see video). FYI, if I was doing this with obsidian or good basalt, etc. I wouldn’t have been running my fingers over those edges like I did with these. Obsidian 10x sharper than a razor.

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’ll toss this over here as well, since it’s becoming a more robust discussion.

Went through a normal sharpening routine with the k390 delica. I’m going to put it away for the initial period of a month and see how the edge performs then.

Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:25 pm
I have brought this up several times. The high carbon tool steals will feel less sharp after a week where I live with no use. I now put Chapstick on the edges and sometimes the whole blade and put them in Ziploc bags.
I found that putting them in carbonite works.

All jokes aside, I've experienced edge degradation without use too. Too many people saying the same thing irrespective of one another seems to point to edge gremlins or something equivalent. :face monocle
/ David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:24 am
Fireman wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:25 pm
I have brought this up several times. The high carbon tool steals will feel less sharp after a week where I live with no use. I now put Chapstick on the edges and sometimes the whole blade and put them in Ziploc bags.
I found that putting them in carbonite works.

All jokes aside, I've experienced edge degradation without use too. Too many people saying the same thing irrespective of one another seems to point to edge gremlins or something equivalent. :face monocle
I find that Edge gremlins prefer a diet of higher carbon/carbides than stainless
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:12 am
Amazing thread. Again. Yet as usual around here. I knew knapped obsidian was sharp, but that's another level of sharp.
I have heard that obsidian can be the sharpest because the edge can theoretically be an atom wide.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I had this phenomenon when I was a butcher. Would always come back from holidays with my knives blunt. Worked out a few years later it was my boss who would use my knives whilst I was away. Boys at work said he grabbed them the minute I left.
“Rare he gets to use such sharp knives”

Funny as he used to buy a knife every time the knife rep came around. Just loved the sharp out of the box feel.

It was weird as you rarely talked sharpening and never sharpened someone else’s knives. It was taboo to touch someone else’s knives actually. You did have your occasional edge guru and chat but rare. No internet and forums in those days like here.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Get a knife and clean all oils off of it after sharpening, then keep the tip submerged in oil, the middle exposed to air and the back end covered in chapstick to see which does best with the exposed area as the control
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:18 am
Get a knife and clean all oils off of it after sharpening, then keep the tip submerged in oil, the middle exposed to air and the back end covered in chapstick to see which does best with the exposed area as the control
Or just run it over a steel a few times after it has sat for a while :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:42 am
Bemo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:12 am
Amazing thread. Again. Yet as usual around here. I knew knapped obsidian was sharp, but that's another level of sharp.
I have heard that obsidian can be the sharpest because the edge can theoretically be an atom wide.
But if the edge is, to quote Sal, a ghost, what does that make an atom?
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Christian Noble wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm
Very cool video!
/ David
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:11 am
That subject has come up several times over the last couple decades but no one has pinned it down. Corrosion, steel "relaxing", and burrs are brought up amongst other theories . Some argue it doesn't happen at all.

The edge testers are available now and we are closer to finding out if it really exists. After that then on to the why. Aside from the obvious ones anyways.
It is funny, because without equipment, it is hard to pin down "This knife is not a sharp as it was when i sharpened it 3 months ago." It does keep coming up so maybe there is something to it. I know I have had that feeling with S30V, especially when I carry it but don't use it for a period. Did the edge just rub something in my pocket, did I cut a few things with it I forgot about, did I just remember it being sharper than it was or can some steels dull with little or no use over time.
If you set a standard for sharpness it is easy to tell. My standard is i buy one brand of rolling papers that are so thin I can read through them. Hold them in one corner, and slice down through them at the other corner. If they do that without buckling the paper, i know it is sharp. Easy way to find chips in edges as well.

As for the getting dull part, i coat all my edges in ballistol after sharpening and have not had the issue. I also live at 6,500 feet of altitude, and spend most of my free time 9,000-13,000 feet. maybe that affects it somehow.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Was just reading some of Larrin's stuff and found the follownig:

"Corrosion is not just about cosmetics and rusting, however, but can also affect edge performance. I did a test with knives in 440A (stainless), D2 (high alloy steel with some corrosion resistance), and 1095 (no corrosion resistance). I dipped each in lemon juice and left in open air and tested after 30, 100, and 300 minutes, dipping in lemon juice again each time. There was significant sharpness loss with 1095, almost none with 440A, and D2 was in between."

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/

So not talking minutes and lemon juice, but talking weeks and humid air might have the same effect.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Rust really only needs 3 things: Moisture, oxygen, and heat. Various chemical processes can speed up or retard rust, but keeping moisture and heat down will go a long way to preventing rust on simple steels. Just keeping your knives in a cool, dry location can help maintain the steel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Rust really only needs 3 things: Moisture, oxygen, and heat. Various chemical processes can speed up or retard rust, but keeping moisture and heat down will go a long way to preventing rust on simple steels. Just keeping your knives in a cool, dry location can help maintain the steel.
Does it really need heat? Should just need iron, oxygen, and moisture.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I noticed the edge gremlins enjoy K390, I will sharpen my Endura and do a chapstick test with half the blade
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm pretty sure every night, knives teleport from sock drawers to Australia to cut up rope for youtube videos, then teleport back dulled before you wake up. These Australian, space warping gremlins are drawn to the sounds of high vanadium and carbon scraping against diamonds.

Be ye so warned! They are upsidedown and sneaky👀
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:10 pm
I'm pretty sure every night, knives teleport from sock drawers to Australia to cut up rope for youtube videos, then teleport back dulled before you wake up. These Australian, space warping gremlins are drawn to the sounds of high vanadium and carbon scraping against diamonds.

Be ye so warned! They are upsidedown and sneaky👀
They can only do this because they are a half day in the future
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:47 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Does it really need heat? Should just need iron, oxygen, and moisture.
In the purest sense yes, you are correct. Heat greatly speeds the process and can be the difference between slow, controllable oxidation and rapid destructive oxidation. Cool air holds less moisture, as we know, which is why I don’t keep my good tools out in the hot, humid garage.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001