Calling Larrin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Calling Larrin

Post by TkoK83Spy »

...waiting for it
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Freediver wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 am
Light the Larrin-Signal. I imagine it’s the pair of
glasses in his logo on the night sky.
Attachments
Batman Nerd.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:08 pm
Freediver wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 am
Light the Larrin-Signal. I imagine it’s the pair of
glasses in his logo on the night sky.
:') Nice! Please save this for random drops after steel discussions.

I think Larrin's comment about Science of Sharp is spot on. This would be a great article for his page.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

I've always enjoyed Todd Simpson's work. how do we get him to join our forum?

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It’s same gnomes that steal socks in the drier
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sal, he has an email on his website. I bet he would respond to you.
scienceofsharp@scienceofsharp.com
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I wonder if it's mostly psychological. All the effort and time some people put into sharpening convinces them that their resulting edge is sharper than it really is. Then, when they take the knife back out after awhile and they've forgotten about their blood/sweat/tears sharpening investment, it's not such a screamingly hair-whittling edge that they believe they had.

They wanted it to be... therefore it was.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:08 pm
It’s same gnomes that steal socks in the drier
Sock Drawer Gremlins

I’d like to see a test done with H1, some stainless steel and a variety of high carbon steels
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 pm
I wonder if it's mostly psychological. All the effort and time some people put into sharpening convinces them that their resulting edge is sharper than it really is. Then, when they take the knife back out after awhile and they've forgotten about their blood/sweat/tears sharpening investment, it's not such a screamingly hair-whittling edge that they believe they had.

Memory is malleable. Without testing before and after, how can one really tell if the sharpness has changed?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Can't be corrosion, as we've salt series steels.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I have had this experience even with H1 (both SE and PE) but I'm inclined to the psychologic hypothesis playing a big part.
MNOSD member 0011
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 pm

This makes a great deal of sense. Up until this point I had a sneaking suspicion my wife was sneaking my freshly sharpened work knives out at night and blunting them, likely as some sort of psy-op retaliation for me leaving my morning’s tea cup on my bedside table all day.

In seriousness I have found since applying anti corrosion chemicals after sharpening my knives do seem to retain that hair flensing edge when I pull them out of storage after a week or so.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

An item of discussion that I've personally noticed over the years has to do with what I deem as really low quality, dime store, discount house knives that you can get at your local "Rip-Mart" store. The Stainless steel in these blades is like working with soft, non-ferrous metals.

I've had so many of these discount blades given to me over the years including the ones I've gotten at garage sales, thrift stores and a few "giveaway" scenarios. I like checking out low quality items to see how they match up with well made blades.

What I've noticed over the years is that no matter how meticulous your sharpening skills and no matter how carefully you sharpen these pretend blades is that you can't keep them sharp no matter how much work you apply to their edges. Even serrated blades made with these inferior blade steels can't perform for any length of time. Any consumer with even a double digit I.Q. can see that these super cheap knives ( culinary or general use) are so inferior that you really can't get any significant use from them.

I'm sure you all know the cheap items I'm referring to. I don't even know how they can call these Rip-Mart blades a viable tool or a functional knife. Discount knives are truly one of the biggest rip offs in the entire consumer world.
PROVE ME WRONG!!!
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena - that and flint knapping is one of the first bloodsports - bandaids are you friend.

All that said and using an obsidian edge as the best example, it’s so thin (down to 3 nanometers) you are at the molecular level - a DNA strand is 2.5 nanometers by comparison. As it was explained to me, the edge is almost liquid like in that the particles of a super thin edge immediately start settling and making it less thin, therefore not as sharp.

Would think it would be to a similar, albeit lessser, extent the same with metal knives (in addition to oxidation).
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Christian Noble wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm
This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena - that and flint knapping is one of the first bloodsports - bandaids are you friend.

All that said and using an obsidian edge as the best example, it’s so thin (down to 3 nanometers) you are at the molecular level - a DNA strand is 2.5 nanometers by comparison. As it was explained to me, the edge is almost liquid like in that the particles of a super thin edge immediately start settling and making it less thin, therefore not as sharp.

Would think it would be to a similar, albeit lessser, extent the same with metal knives (in addition to oxidation).
Wow… I learn something new everyday here.

On the other hand you could all be lying to me and I wouldn’t know the difference :squinting-tongue
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have done paper test and it loses edge feel “Bite” Ceramic won’t have this issue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Jeff.

I emailed him.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I think that some seriou testing could be useful.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Christian Noble wrote:
This happens with stone too....

Thanks, this was a truly Interesting read!

And thinking of that the very first "knife" "guys" and "knife: users in the stoneage probably had their edges getting duller if not used (well, better EVEN if not used ;) ) too is kind of fascinating...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Amazing thread. Again. Yet as usual around here. I knew knapped obsidian was sharp, but that's another level of sharp.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Christian Noble wrote:
This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena
Whaaaat? Do you make stone tools? WAY cool! If you wouldn't mind posting a few pics, I'm sure we'd all like to see.

One of my boyhood mentors, nearly half a century ago, was a heroic sort of character who did everything a young boy admires: race cars, motorcycles, aircraft, spacecraft, and an expert on Native American culture in the Southwest. He tried to guide me into making tools, but obtaining raw material, antlers, and leather were quite a challenge for a young city boy in the olden days. One of the books he got me to read was Manual for Neanderthals -- somewhat of a primer for aspiring... Neanderthals. Alas, I never gave it much effort. I still don't have enough motivation to try, but it sure looks like fun.