Calling Larrin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Calling Larrin

Post by Fireman »

Let’s not forget that rust actually causes heat with the reaction
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:56 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:10 pm
I'm pretty sure every night, knives teleport from sock drawers to Australia to cut up rope for youtube videos, then teleport back dulled before you wake up. These Australian, space warping gremlins are drawn to the sounds of high vanadium and carbon scraping against diamonds.

Be ye so warned! They are upsidedown and sneaky👀
They can only do this because they are a half day in the future
It's science 🙃
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

On this subject

Christian Noble wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:13 am
Christian Noble wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm
This happens with stone too. Unmodified flakes at the time they are knapped are at their sharpest (period). Easy to recognize if you are flint knapper and I can personally attest to this phenomena
Whaaaat? Do you make stone tools? WAY cool! If you wouldn't mind posting a few pics, I'm sure we'd all like to see.

Here is a pic for fun with a few bird points and an atlatla size point I made. Knife is a Rob Simonich Bitterroot in Talonite.

I believe this will be a more practical picture however, note how a hafted stone knife edge is pretty much serrated. Something like Otzi, the 5,300 year old iceman https://www.iceman.it/en/equipment/, carried as an EDC. While the hafted-knife would certainly cut, its not a slicer; most primitives, if they need to skin an animal or a precise cut, would use a freshly made stone flake if available.

Here is a video I made a longtime ago, I am sure they are much better versions now. Being knife folks here, the video shows an expedient way to make a stone cutting tool - nice to know if you are caught without your Spyderco. Basically you want rock with high glass content (volcanic) if possible; by gently banging some rocks together and listening you will start to get a sense of it, the higher the pitch the better as more glass content. Once you find your rock you could smash against other rocks with less glass content (hammer stone). The hammer stone can be in your hand or on the ground, either way you should end up with some sharp edges (obviously be super careful with your eyes). OR with a little knowledge you can make something more useful (see video). FYI, if I was doing this with obsidian or good basalt, etc. I wouldn’t have been running my fingers over those edges like I did with these. Obsidian 10x sharper than a razor.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

Entropic Doom.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:47 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Rust really only needs 3 things: Moisture, oxygen, and heat. Various chemical processes can speed up or retard rust, but keeping moisture and heat down will go a long way to preventing rust on simple steels. Just keeping your knives in a cool, dry location can help maintain the steel.
Does it really need heat? Should just need iron, oxygen, and moisture.
Heat as in not at absolute zero. Chemical reaction rates increase with increasing temperature. Hence the cool dry room. Put them in the freezer, double gain of increased martensite and decrease corrosion. LOL
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two