Calling Larrin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Calling Larrin

Post by sal »

Hi Larrin,

There is a discussion on somewhat here and on the "Edge Matters" forum, A British forum that I've had a good time being part of. (which would enjoy your presence). They're a bit "daft", but they have a great sense of humour and are quite knowledgeable about knives.

Many have noticed that some knives will get duller with no use. Why? :thinking

sal
RustyIron

Re: Calling Larrin

Post by RustyIron »

For someone who has proper testing equipment, this would be an interesting avenue of experimentation. Sharpen knife, test it. Wait a week, test it. Wait another week, test it again.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:23 am

Many have noticed that some knives will get duller with no use. Why? :thinking

sal

I am one of the folks here with comparably very little knowledge about steels and sharpening, but I think this "getting duller with no use" has to be due to edge degradation by (however slow) corrosion at the very apex?
Total layman here, though. Quite the complete opposite of Dr. Larrin ;), I hope he´ll chime in!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've noticed this as well. Seems to vary from knife to knife and steel to steel. I've always blamed it on the knife gods just messing with me. However it has been a contributing factor in my habitual need to have a good pocket stone handy at all times.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Entropy
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe stress-induced carbide precipitation due to sharpening? Sharpening a blade will cause tension in the edge resulting in carbides trying to reach a state of relaxation? You see this same effect in bearings.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jim Malone wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:54 am
Maybe stress-induced carbide precipitation due to sharpening? Sharpening a blade will cause tension in the edge resulting in carbides trying to reach a state of relaxation? You see this same effect in bearings.

Interesting! Would have never thought of that, since I have no idea of such things
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Light the Larrin-Signal. I imagine it’s the pair of
glasses in his logo on the night sky.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The nuclear & particle physicist in me says ... matrix dislocations due to background radiation and cosmic rays ... and maybe rust :savouring
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When I took chemistry a million years ago (it seems) I think I remember my prof saying that a knife edge will loose atoms and so will a diamond, over time. How long that takes, I don't know.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Back in the late '70s, I read an article in a knife publication at a book store. I specifically remembered the article mentioning oxidation as the cause of knife edges becoming dull over time from just sitting around, especially on straight carbon steel blades.

Jim
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I might have dreamed this, as I can't find the link now. But I have a fuzzy memory of reading a thread on blade forum years ago talking about this phenomenon. I think it was specifically regarding 440C. Rust was considered less likely since 440c is pretty stainless (and regarding other oxidation, I'm pretty sure whatever chromium oxide layer that forms on fresh steel is near instantaneous).

There was no conclusive answer. But someone mentioned some alloys returning to shape after deformation. Reading about shape memory alloys, they seem to not relate to steels used in knives. But perhaps knife steel exhibits this property in a very small capacity? That is a big if, predicated on the even bigger if, of whether sharpening counts as deformation.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That subject has come up several times over the last couple decades but no one has pinned it down. Corrosion, steel "relaxing", and burrs are brought up amongst other theories . Some argue it doesn't happen at all.

The edge testers are available now and we are closer to finding out if it really exists. After that then on to the why. Aside from the obvious ones anyways.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

This sounds like a classic SEF post.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

It sounds like a good study for Todd Simpson to do (Science of Sharp).
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:11 am
That subject has come up several times over the last couple decades but no one has pinned it down. Corrosion, steel "relaxing", and burrs are brought up amongst other theories . Some argue it doesn't happen at all.

The edge testers are available now and we are closer to finding out if it really exists. After that then on to the why. Aside from the obvious ones anyways.
It is funny, because without equipment, it is hard to pin down "This knife is not a sharp as it was when i sharpened it 3 months ago." It does keep coming up so maybe there is something to it. I know I have had that feeling with S30V, especially when I carry it but don't use it for a period. Did the edge just rub something in my pocket, did I cut a few things with it I forgot about, did I just remember it being sharper than it was or can some steels dull with little or no use over time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have brought this up several times. The high carbon tool steals will feel less sharp after a week where I live with no use. I now put Chapstick on the edges and sometimes the whole blade and put them in Ziploc bags.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The short answer is edge gremlins
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I'm not saying it's Aliens, but...
Brian