Why no deep carry pocket clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Why no deep carry pocket clip?

Post by jmj3esq »

Most knife companies have figured out that the people want a deep carry pocket clip. I'm sure this has been covered before, but why on earth doesn't Spyderco manufacture a deep carry clip and provide them with each knife? I can only count a few knives overall that their regular clip is more advantageous than a deep clip. I'm personally tired of buying aftermarket clips that don't really match. Please offer me an explanation.
Wartstein

Re: Why no deep carry pocket clip?

Post by Wartstein »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am
Most knife companies have figured out that the people want a deep carry pocket clip. I'm sure this has been covered before, but why on earth doesn't Spyderco manufacture a deep carry clip and provide them with each knife? I can only count a few knives overall that their regular clip is more advantageous than a deep clip. I'm personally tired of buying aftermarket clips that don't really match. Please offer me an explanation.

No disrespect, but who says that " "the people" want a deep carry pocket clip"?!

I think many regular knife customers don´t care if deep carry or not, then there is the group who has "heard and thus believes" deep carry is better without real personal experience, and then, of course, are the experienced knife users who for the one or the other reason came to like deep carry clips more, based on real use.

But then there are (I think) a lot of guys like me who (in my case absolutely) DON`T want deep carry clips. Other then having to conceil a knife and potentially better ergos in hand (could get worse through deep carry clips though either, two way road), I see only disadvantages in deep carry, at least on folders bigger than a Chap:

- Makes the knife de facto longer in pocket, eats up more space there and can get cumbersome with longer folder when making for example high steps or riding a bike
- When drawing the knife the finger is often positioned further away from the opening hole
- Makes drawing the knife generally a bit less convenient by tendency
- And just to me: Does not look good at all (this is completely personal preference of course ;) )

So, wrapped up: I think to a large part the "deep carry thing" is just "fashion" -. people automatically think deep carry = better, without really having tried and compared for themselves (again, OF COURSE there are also those who really know their stuff, and just came to prefer deep carry from real experience -. just like I and others came to prefer "shallow" carry)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

jmj3esq wrote:
Well for one reason most people who buy the knives simply don’t know about deep carry clips or have no need for one. I never bought one until I heard about them, about 3 years after I bought my first Spyderco. Had no problems at all in those three years, that being said I prefer a deep carry because it offers better ergonomics and makes the knife sit in my pocket the way I like. Aftermarket clips are also less noticeable compared to stock ones especially when you have a clip with satin finish.

Secondly I’m sure the folks at Spyderco have considered it; but doing so would take away the bread and butter of companies like Lynch NW and MXG. Perhaps its just conjecture on my part, but from what I know about the company it seems like they wouldn’t do something like this.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foehammer wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:58 am
jmj3esq wrote:
Well for one reason most people who buy the knives simply don’t know about deep carry clips or have no need for one. I never bought one until I heard about them, about 3 years after I bought my first Spyderco. Had no problems at all in those three years, that being said I prefer a deep carry because it offers better ergonomics and makes the knife sit in my pocket the way I like. Aftermarket clips are also less noticeable compared to stock ones especially when you have a clip with satin finish.

Secondly I’m sure the folks at Spyderco have considered it; but doing so would take away the bread and butter of companies like Lynch NW and MXG. Perhaps its just conjecture on my part, but from what I know about the company it seems like they wouldn’t do something like this.

I think you are right and that Sal even said so himself. And I actually really appreciate that approach.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it’s worth, Spyderco does offer a deep carry clip in the form of their Wire Clip. (Although not every Wire Clip is deep carry.)

And as noted by Foehammer, Sal and Spyderco do not think it is fair to take away business from companies that make their primary income from aftermarket parts. -
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 am
There are a number of aftermarket clip makes that have created a business out of making clips. We feel that it would not be fair for us to try to take that business away from them. We created and make the deep pocket wire and for now, that's ok.

sal
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82251&p=1290569&hil ... p#p1290569
-Nick :bug-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

jmj3esq wrote:
Please offer me an explanation.

I can only speak for my own preferences. I have knives with both styles of clips on them. The only one that really NEEDS a deep carry is the Manix 2 XL. With the factory clip, it sticks WAY out of the pocket.

But on the regularly proportioned knives, having the knife stick out of the pocket a little further makes it easier to remove from the pocket. It's a little more functional.

When I used to work and would dress like a grown up every day with a my shirt tucked in, a deep carry clip was preferred. I don't like looking like a walking hardware store. Nowadays, my shirt is usually untucked, so it doesn't matter.

I think the traditional clips typically LOOK a nicer. The placement of the clip balances proportionally with the knife. The PM2 with a deep carry looks like the clip was an afterthought constructed by a twelve year old in the garage. The Native 5 isn't much better. The deep carry clip is at the very edge of the handle. If Feng shui applies to knives, the deep carry PM2 and Native 5 don't have it.

Even with everything I just typed, I can see that other people might think the exact opposite. It's all just personal preference.

One more thought... some of the aftermarket clips I purchased because they were made of titanium, and I wanted to play around anodizing them. But that doesn't necessitate deep carry. Titanium can be had in either configuration.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Because Spyderco is not about hiding its knives?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:26 am
Because Spyderco is not about hiding its knives?

For me: Post of the day... :beaming-face :1stplace:
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

To me, the most important attribute of any clip, other than holding my knife securely in a predictable place, is how it feels in hand.

Since all clips accomplish the former, my first consideration in choosing a clip is how it feels. Sometimes it's the OEM clip, sometimes aftermarket; sometimes deep-carry, other times shallow; sometimes right-hand, sometimes left; sometimes tip-up, other times tip-down.

Upon receiving a new knife I try as many combinations as I can before deciding on a clip (which can easily be a dozen or more). I tend to prefer aftermarket, shallow, right-hand, tip-up -- but just barely. In my experience, the Spyderco clips are as good a starting point as any, and never a bad choice.

I'm sure I'm an outlier in clip selection, but my point is that clip preference is a personal choice, and people are going to pick what they want. Spyderco has successfully used the same few basic clip designs since the '80s, so why change? I have never looked at a competitor's knife and thought, "That one has a deep-carry clip, so that's the one I want."
Danke

Post by Danke »

Deep carry clips are an abomination.

The wire clip is a real favorite for me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Danke wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 am

Deep carry clips = an abomination

But Wire Clips = Deep carry clips

Wire clips = an abomination? :anxious

:thinking

I’m mostly kidding, of course, I know what you mean. I just think it’s worth noting that their wire clips are the only deep carry option they regularly offer.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, jmj3esq:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The only Spyderco clip I actively dislike is the short wire pocket clip, like the Dragonfly clip. I did recently buy some Lynch clips to replace that short wire clip on the Lil’ Native. My favorite Spyderco clips are the classic hourglass and the Native 5 LW in particular.

Deep carry clips do not hide the fact that you are carrying a knife. They just make it harder to get at the knife.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Add me to the apparent minority who like Spyderco’s OEM clips. Despite trying deep carry, I switched back to the standard spoon clip for both comfort and looks. The deep carry clip creates a hot spot the standard clip doesn’t (in my hand) and I think they look ugly. Also, I’ve twice recognized spyderco clips in strangers pockets but never a Lynch clip. I’m not convinced “the people” want deep carry but a good chunk of social media and knife forum users seem to love them. To each their own, it saves me $20 when I don’t replace it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't want them on the majority of knives I carry, certainly not work knives where it's function over fashion.

I believe it has been said that Sal/Spyderco don't want to potentially hurt the sale of small businesses that make them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

For me, and for many others I think, it’s much more about necessity than preference.
Knives aren’t as widely accepted as they used to be, so outside activities where knives are still expected (outdoor, blue collar work etc.) I carry with deep carry clips or clipless in the bottom of my back pocket.

At different times I would find myself in any of the situations above, so I have a relaxed attitude toward this. Either is fine, just at different times. And the once suitable for use in non-outdoor/blue collar often comes without a clip or with a deep carry clip.
Some don’t, and I agree it can be a little annoying to depend on a third party to get the knife as I prefer, especially for us living outside the US that has considerably less access to such parts, but I realize that preferences vary and it’s truly a 1st world problem.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm
Add me to the apparent minority who like Spyderco’s OEM clips. Despite trying deep carry, I switched back to the standard spoon clip for both comfort and looks. The deep carry clip creates a hot spot the standard clip doesn’t (in my hand) and I think they look ugly. Also, I’ve twice recognized spyderco clips in strangers pockets but never a Lynch clip. I’m not convinced “the people” want deep carry but a good chunk of social media and knife forum users seem to love them. To each their own, it saves me $20 when I don’t replace it.
It is the Hourglass clip that you prefer, not the spoon clip. The Hourglass clip is often mistakenly referred to as the Spoon clip. They are distinctly different though.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

jmj3esq wrote:

Maybe because Spyderco is not like "most knife companies"? :thinking

If Spyderco was like "most knife companies" then the catalog would be filled with flipper-opening knives on ball bearing washers with frame or liner lock. That's what "most knife companies" make, so clearly that must be what the people want!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:48 am
Danke wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 am

Deep carry clips = an abomination

But Wire Clips = Deep carry clips

Wire clips = an abomination? :anxious

:thinking

I’m mostly kidding, of course, I know what you mean. I just think it’s worth noting that their wire clips are the only deep carry option they regularly offer.
Just to note that first knife in your sig has a deep carry clip.

For the wire clips I don't really feel that they're the typical deep carry that totally submerges the knife like that PPT. They're more low-vis in my books.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm
It is the Hourglass clip that you prefer, not the spoon clip. The Hourglass clip is often mistakenly referred to as the Spoon clip. They are distinctly different though.
I stand corrected. Educate me further, what’s a spoon clip?