Chinook Confusion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Chinook Confusion

Post by Bolster »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:12 am
...When I discussed the Chinook design with him many years ago, he summarized it as "I designed a Ferrari, and what we got was a really great Ford F150." His original design for it, which was expressed in a custom knife made by Ken Onion, was very sleek....

Thank you Michael! Very interesting history of the Chinook, explains a lot. Regards the above quote, I tried several searches to see if I could find the original Ferrari Chinook concept, but failed. Maybe another forumite with better Google-Fu can find it. I take it that the Ford/Ferrari analogy refers to the weight of the knife.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thanks for the history, Mike. I’m excited for the new Chinook.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm
To add photos...
The Chinook III was the one I had in my user arsenal that I dearly loved. Also I'm sure the first run 440V units are getting quite collectible at this point. I think they only made one run of those original Chinook models in 440V.

But the Chinook III was like a Manix on really potent steroids. That was one of the beefiest blades Spyderco ever made. There are so many of those 2003 models that became classics. Same class as the Dodo model.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thank you!
I’ve always been interested in the model and this has certainly renewed or expanded on that.
Will be looking forward to the next iteration and especially if it keeps the Powerlock.

I’m gonna study the Powerlock now, and maybe try to design a knife around it for fun.
I’ve learned a lot and come to a better appreciation of various lock designs by doing this. It’s a good exercise for the brain and drawing skills too.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm
The Chinook III was the one I had in my user arsenal that I dearly loved. Also I'm sure the first run 440V units are getting quite collectible at this point. I think they only made one run of those original Chinook models in 440V.

But the Chinook III was like a Manix on really potent steroids. That was one of the beefiest blades Spyderco ever made. There are so many of those 2003 models that became classics. Same class as the Dodo model.

Yeah, the Chin 3 and the original big Manix feel like siblings, for sure. They both have an attention-commanding lockup and all-over beefiness. Authoritative 5.9 oz for the C3 and 6.1 oz for the Manix. If you're carrying one of these, you tend to always be aware of it!
Attachments
IMG_6895.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

OK, so I am a Blades Canada fan boy.... They still have the Chinook 4

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyd ... 30V_C63GP4
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:48 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm

Yeah, the Chin 3 and the original big Manix feel like siblings, for sure. They both have an attention-commanding lockup and all-over beefiness. Authoritative 5.9 oz for the C3 and 6.1 oz for the Manix. If you're carrying one of these, you tend to always be aware of it!
That pic is a revelation to me. I have and love a sprint of that beefy Manix. Seeing it against the Chinook3 confirms the latter has more cutting edge for similar handle length but less weight.

My Lil’Temp2‘s maximized cutting-edge has pretty much obiterated my childhood prejudice (“Aladdin and Other Tales…” unsettled me) against upswept blades, but I’ve never gained a sense that the Chinook is so big and beefy, yet relatively not…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I can hardly wait for the new Chinook. It's a bucket list knife for me.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:59 am
You need one Barry ! :smlling-eyes Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:12 am
...When I discussed the Chinook design with him many years ago, he summarized it as "I designed a Ferrari, and what we got was a really great Ford F150." His original design for it, which was expressed in a custom knife made by Ken Onion, was very sleek....

Thank you Michael! Very interesting history of the Chinook, explains a lot. Regards the above quote, I tried several searches to see if I could find the original Ferrari Chinook concept, but failed. Maybe another forumite with better Google-Fu can find it. I take it that the Ford/Ferrari analogy refers to the weight of the knife.

Murindo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm
Here is the decades old "Chinook 0" that Ken Onion made to Keatings design with a trainer as well. You can see how the Chinook 1 developed from it.

In the end, if Sal makes a Chinook 5 and it's a Chinook 4 with a newer steel, I'll still buy it. ;)

This is from last year's Chinook 5 thread. Sadly, no other specs about the custom were given aside from the attached photo.
chinook zero ken onion custom for james keating.jpg
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Always interested in a new Chinook.

I have one Chinook 3 and two Chinook 4's. I'll buy a Chinook 5. If I really like it I'll buy two.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:52 am

Wow, cool! I find that photo strangely compelling! I think that somewhere, out there, I have a doppleganger!

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:57 am
This is from last year's Chinook 5 thread. Sadly, no other specs about the custom were given aside from the attached photo.chinook zero ken onion custom for james keating.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I had missed last year's C5 thread. Honestly my first impression is that it's not so "sleek" (referring to the Keating quote of Ferrari/Ford) but I can't tell how heavy it is by looking, obvi.

I think Sal's response in the older C5 thread is worth repeating. You can imagine that Sal is constantly getting mixed messages:
sal wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm
...So I'm getting mixed messages on what would be desired. We made the later Chinooks lighter due to the many complaints about the weight of the earlier models. Most of the "I love the older models" was based on their appearance and not their performance. I am working on a Chinook and I did speak with James about it, bu we didn't go into details. I had thought to use the Power lock, but have recently changed my thinking to a Compression Lock....

sal
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would be really interested in seeing the Chinooks dissembled to see how their locks and internal construction has evolved with each iteration.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks to this thread, I now have a C4, my first Chinook, coming to me, appropriately enough, from the Great White North’s Warriors & Wonders. FYI, now OOS…

Really stoked.

And I get a PowerLock to stand in for one I lost when I sold my Tatanka (I like big, just not that big).

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 pm
Thanks to this thread, I now have a C4, my first Chinook, coming to me, appropriately enough, from the Great White North’s Warriors & Wonders. FYI, now OOS…

This won't really have happened, until we get photos in this thread...!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:15 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 pm

This won't really have happened, until we get photos in this thread...!
Noted.

I suspect my pair (composed in the manner above) will need to show my C4 (sleeker than the C3?) next to my Manix2 XL (def sleeker than my original Manix sprint).

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome, Bolster.

I recently got a Chinook 1 with the pinned construction, and it is definitely the beefiest Spyderco I have so far encountered. Of course, I've never seen or held a K2 or Tighe Stick.

Plus, the Chinook 1 comes in a steel that has 425 more V's than the hot new whizbang steel :grin-sweat
chinook_02.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:47 pm
You're welcome, Bolster.

I recently got a Chinook 1 with the pinned construction, and it is definitely the beefiest Spyderco I have so far encountered. Of course, I've never seen or held a K2 or Tighe Stick.

Plus, the Chinook 1 comes in a steel that has 425 more V's than the hot new whizbang steel :grin-sweat chinook_02.jpg
Ha ha ! The think what I like the most of the original opposed to my Chinook 2 is the lack of an exaggerated hump above the Spydie hole . The blade looks so much cleaner . Your picture is beautiful too . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You're so right buddy!! 😍
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:52 am
bearrowland wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:59 am
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Has Spyderco ever produced a folding, traditional looking Bowie blade that wasn't an instant success and a long-term sought-after grail item? Let's see, we have:

Chinook 1
Slysz Bowie
Schempp Bowie

...others?