Temporal Edge Retention

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

Temporal Edge Retention

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’ve been noticing a phenomenon for the last few years…some steels keep their front end sharpness over time without any use and others seem to very subtly dull, even without use. I’m not sure what makes this happen…it seems to be a subcategory or edge stability. Maybe it’s corrosion on a microscopic level that certain steels handle better than others.

It started when I pulled my FRN chaparral out yesterday and noticed it was still aggressively, hair splitting sharp after a month or so of storage. Rest assured, this doesn’t happen with every knife I pull out of the drawer.

Thus far, I’ve checked two steels off that seem to exhibit really good “temporal edge retention”:

XHP and Z-wear

I’m going to check out others in the future and see which steels exhibit which characteristics in this realm
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Evil D

Re: Temporal Edge Retention

Post by Evil D »

Corrosion will degrade sharpness over time, on such a small level you won't actually see it as rust or patina.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I could be nuts, but I always felt my S30V Manix is like this. I will sharpen it, let it sit for awhile, few weeks, then it just does not have the same bite.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

You probably just deburred those edges better on Cruwear and XHP.

So its nothing to do with the name of the steel as much as it has to due with 1. Sharpening technique 2. Microstructure of the steel

Most folks have a difficult time deburring to a truly sharp edge, they end up straightening out the remains of a burr at the edge which is a wispy bit of metal at the apex.

This type of burr is microscopic and not stable. Sometimes called a wire edge or foil edge.

The exact mechanism of why it moves is not known. However there are some clues that could be in understanding more about the elastic/plastic transition of knife steels on a microscopic scale since bulk properties of a material can be different than on a microscopic scale.

However there are also the details and nuisances of dislocations at the atomic scale. These are things that need to be ruled out with testing not just reading and making things up.

Regardless of how its happening, it is a phenomenon that is happening but saying it only happens with Steel A and not Steel B is incorrect.

One can see the effect with a low grit extremely coarse edge that the sharpness can change over several hours if steps are not taken to remove/reduce unseen burr that has been straightened out microscopically at the edge that may fold over slightly overtime decreasing the sharpness.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:47 pm

So its nothing to do with the name of the steel as much as it has to due with 1. Sharpening technique 2. Microstructure of the steel

Most folks have a difficult time deburring to a truly sharp edge, they end up straightening out the remains of a burr at the edge which is a wispy bit of metal at the apex.

This type of burr is microscopic and not stable. Sometimes called a wire edge or foil edge.

The exact mechanism of why it moves is not known. However there are some clues that could be in understanding more about the elastic/plastic transition of knife steels on a microscopic scale since bulk properties of a material can be different than on a microscopic scale.

However there are also the details and nuisances of dislocations at the atomic scale. These are things that need to be ruled out with testing not just reading and making things up.

Regardless of how its happening, it is a phenomenon that is happening but saying it only happens with Steel A and not Steel B is incorrect.

One can see the effect with a low grit extremely coarse edge that the sharpness can change over several hours if steps are not taken to remove/reduce unseen burr that has been straightened out microscopically at the edge that may fold over slightly overtime decreasing the sharpness.
So, not corrosion per se, but a failed deburring that may or may not involve corrosion…. Is that what you’re hypothesizing?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I've had this sort of thing happen and my guess is that it's due to sharpening technique leaving a weak edge. I had one S35VN knife that would mysteriously gain some dull spots on the blade fairly quickly, regardless of how much I used it. I switched sharpening stones and refined my technique a lot and it stopped happening. I'm not sure if I failed to deburr the edge, I somehow caused carbides at the edge to fracture or something else.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:

I don't doubt that the edge can change shape over time. It makes sense. It stands to reason that if the burr moves around, so does the fatter part of the blade, although at different amounts and in different directions.

So let's assume we've done a good job of sharpening. Even though there's no burr, the edge is going to move around a bit over several hours. Would it not make sense to let the blade "rest," and then go back and give it a little more finish sharpening? The edge could be even BETTER!

This is just a hypothetical question, of course. It's quesitonable whether I have the skills to sharpen at this level, and if I did, I don't have the tools for testing. Anyway, it's interesting to think about.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:00 pm
I don't doubt that the edge can change shape over time. It makes sense. It stands to reason that if the burr moves around, so does the fatter part of the blade, although at different amounts and in different directions.
I think you’re misunderstanding what a burr is. It’s a deformed edge that has been stretched. It’s very thin and so it’s flexible. It’s not moving around over time, it will be in whatever state you leave it. But when you go to cut something it rolls over easily.
RustyIron wrote:

So let's assume we've done a good job of sharpening. Even though there's no burr, the edge is going to move around a bit over several hours. Would it not make sense to let the blade "rest," and then go back and give it a little more finish sharpening? The edge could be even BETTER!
This is not the case. The edge does not “move” or “settle”. Aside from the corrosive degradation of edges in non-stainless steels you should assume an edge retains its state indefinitely.

I would caution against this kind of speculation in the absence of data. Sharpness is an elusive thing to judge without measurements. Either a microscope or an objective slicing test is necessary. Even a burr can be difficult to detect without magnification (though it is usually easily avoided).
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:52 pm
I think you’re misunderstanding what a burr is.

Um... ok.
Thank you.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:22 am
Awesome effort on this thread. But guys. Burrs are the enemy. Don’t form them in the first place, you’re just weakening the steel.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90520

This subject doesn't seem to be something you are experienced with however since you claim to not be forming a burr which is also not really possible. There is always some burr.

It appears you also have empirical information and data to share beyond just what you are saying.

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:52 pm
RustyIron wrote:
I think you’re misunderstanding what a burr is. It’s a deformed edge that has been stretched. It’s very thin and so it’s flexible. It’s not moving around over time, it will be in whatever state you leave it. But when you go to cut something it rolls over easily.
RustyIron wrote:

This is not the case. The edge does not “move” or “settle”. Aside from the corrosive degradation of edges in non-stainless steels you should assume an edge retains its state indefinitely.

I would caution against this kind of speculation in the absence of data. Sharpness is an elusive thing to judge without measurements. Either a microscope or an objective slicing test is necessary. Even a burr can be difficult to detect without magnification (though it is usually easily avoided).
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 pm

This subject doesn't seem to be something you are experienced with however since you claim to not be forming a burr which is also not really possible. There is always some burr.

It appears you also have empirical information and data to share beyond just what you are saying.
I’ve already said my peace in that thread pretty much. Always some burr? I’m not sure why you would say that. Sharpen edge leading, alternate sides, there will be no burr. We’ve been sharpening razors this way for centuries.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:45 pm

Always some burr? I’m not sure why you would say that.
Unless proven otherwise its safe to assume an edge is in two states; either not fully apexed or a little bit of burr hiding.
zhyla wrote:

Sharpen edge leading, alternate sides, there will be no burr.
It doesn't appear to be that simple especially when we dive deeper into the work of Todd Simpson and Dr Vadim Kraichuk.

zhyla wrote:

We’ve been sharpening razors this way for centuries.
"This is the way we have always done it" is not direct evidence of no burr.

We can still cut things with many types of burr at the edge.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Is it cold in here or is it just me?

Brrrrrrrrr🥶
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

zhyla wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 pm

I’ve already said my peace in that thread pretty much. Always some burr? I’m not sure why you would say that. Sharpen edge leading, alternate sides, there will be no burr. We’ve been sharpening razors this way for centuries.
With a razor, you'll typically strop it on a hanging strop with abrasive to convex the edge to remove the burr and convex the edge after honing. Alternating sides on the strop is essential to preventing burr formation but I don't think burr formation matters when you're just honing.

There are some SEM images of a razor edge here: https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/04/14/s ... or-honing/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:08 am
With a razor, you'll typically strop it on a hanging strop with abrasive to convex the edge to remove the burr and convex the edge after honing. Alternating sides on the strop is essential to preventing burr formation but I don't think burr formation matters when you're just honing.
Terminology is tricky. Razor guys say “hone” to describe the act of sharpening. They then “strop” to do what I’ve always thought knife people describe as honing.

I’ll admit I don’t fully understand the strop story with razors. I’ve heard some people say it actually just removes the corrosion layer on the edge. I’ve not personally notice much benefit to stropping with a leather strop. But maybe my strip just sucks — or maybe I don’t have a burr.
vandelay wrote:
There are some SEM images of a razor edge here: https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/04/14/s ... or-honing/
Isn’t that article showing the effect of sharpening with edge-trailing strokes? Of course there’s a burr in that case. Nobody sharpens razors that way.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm
vandelay wrote:
Terminology is tricky. Razor guys say “hone” to describe the act of sharpening. They then “strop” to do what I’ve always thought knife people describe as honing.

I’ll admit I don’t fully understand the strop story with razors. I’ve heard some people say it actually just removes the corrosion layer on the edge. I’ve not personally notice much benefit to stropping with a leather strop. But maybe my strip just sucks — or maybe I don’t have a burr.
I notice a substantial difference when stropping with an abrasive. It's removing metal so it'll sharpen the tip one way or another.
zhyla wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm
vandelay wrote:
Isn’t that article showing the effect of sharpening with edge-trailing strokes? Of course there’s a burr in that case. Nobody sharpens razors that way.
people who follow that guide sharpen edge trailing. It does demonstrate that stropping on a hanging strop removes the burr pretty effectively.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Deadboxhero wrote:
I’ve considered that and it’s not impossible. I’m typically very meticulous about burr removal…alternating strokes and passes through wood before stropping…that Murray Carter influence…

I’ve been trying to knock out as many variables as humanly possible and it takes more than qualitative evidence to come to any real conclusions long term. Just some observations in the meantime
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:02 pm
I’ve been noticing a phenomenon for the last few years…some steels keep their front end sharpness over time without any use and others seem to very subtly dull, even without use. I’m not sure what makes this happen…it seems to be a subcategory or edge stability. Maybe it’s corrosion on a microscopic level that certain steels handle better than others.

It started when I pulled my FRN chaparral out yesterday and noticed it was still aggressively, hair splitting sharp after a month or so of storage. Rest assured, this doesn’t happen with every knife I pull out of the drawer.

Thus far, I’ve checked two steels off that seem to exhibit really good “temporal edge retention”:

XHP and Z-wear

I’m going to check out others in the future and see which steels exhibit which characteristics in this realm

You got the burrs man!
Unluckycharm

Post by Unluckycharm »

One thing to consider is that most individuals are going to test the “sharpness” of their knife directly after sharpening and stropping. Since the burr is so fine and mailable we create enough energy and heat during the sharpening process that it is able to pass the cut test, once the metal cools the burr will not maintain its original form, oh so slightly, leading to a more dull knife than what we originally had. Zero evidence of this and I am hypothesizing, but I have a strong background in chemistry and material science that would lead me to believe it is entirely possible.

DBH might be able to provide insight to the validity, far more knowledgeable than I in the steel science.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Made a quick video of the “methodology” involved…posted it to my long-neglected secondary YouTube channel. Since this is potentially a phenomenon that affects the users in the real world, I’m not doing anything funny. Just a typical, freehand, Delica sharpening…put it away til march then check it out and see what’s doing.

This is SUPER preliminary…I’m also one guy and can only contribute so much to the zeitgeist of knife geekdom. Any results I get are from a sample size of precisely one. That doesn’t escape me…I know that science thrives on repeatability and objectivity above all else.