Temporal Edge Retention

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
u.w.

Re: Temporal Edge Retention

Post by u.w. »

DunninLA wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:08 pm
Here is my hypothesis. I don't believe it possible for the shape of an apex to change sitting idly over time.

1. you sharpened the chaparral very well, either by luck, or b/c XHP is easy to sharpen and propely debur.
2. on another knife, you left a small burr, but the burr was straight so the knife cut like it was sharp, and you cut with that knife a couple of times... which caused the burr to move to one side, thus dulling the knife, but you didn't notice it.
3. You pull out the knife from #2 a couple of months later, and notice it isn't as sharp as when you first sharpened it. But you forgot you used the knife a couple of times and weren't paying attention to its sharpness. That is, that knife was dull when you put it away for two months.
I couldn't say weather the shape on an apex changes over time with no use, or not. Or to what small degree, or large, if so.

I do however think you definitely "hit the nail on the head" with you hypothesis.
I think that for a large percentage of folks, your hypothesis is way more common than they are aware of.

Your hypothesis has been mentioned on this forum before, over the months/years past.

u.w.