Magnacut or Bust Wishlist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Re: Magnacut or Bust Wishlist

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I don't think saying Magnacut or S110V or whatever flavor out there should become default steel for all knives. Some of us like simple steels such as VG10 and 154CM due to affordability on very limited budgets. Without having to max out our credit cards. I can live with a bit of extra sharpening or wiping my knife off after use and.oil to keep rust at bay.
Yeah I definitely want to try some Magnacut. But I sure as **** am not going to throw away my other blades for it. I worked too hard and went in debt for what I already own. Which took many years.
A basic Endura runs $100. Adding Magnacut, S110V, or any exotic super steel to knives without having more basic steel options available. Does not make economic sense. Not all of us can afford exotic steels. So unless those steels.can be sold for.the same price as VG10. Count me out.
What I would love to see is the day when you can buy a standard production knife in any blade steel of your choice depending on your funds.
Then again. Maybe one day we will see top end steels sell for the same as budget steels.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:03 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 am
Not all of us are in the "edge retention only" camp and strongly prefer a balanced steel. I long ago learned what I actually needed in a steel and do not harbor any thoughts that I need any extreme steel. I'm well aware where MC & Cruwear fit in regards to other steels and I'm happy with the compromises of either.

100% all of that. Maybe I'm getting spoiled but I'm sick of sacrificing other qualities to gain insane edge retention.What I want is for all of the positive qualities of a knife steel to be pushed up at the same time, I want more gains and less compromises. It's friggin 2023, it's the future. I want the most well balanced future steel, and so far this is it.
BIngo and that is why as I purchase replacement models for my current models in Magnacut I am selling the same models in the different steels. This is the whole point of Magnacut. It does everything well. I know this from owning a Bark River Bravo 1 LT in Magnacut and now the Native from Spyderco and they are both doing what I always wanted steel to do, which is everything well not an extreme here or there. There is no downside to this steel.

It has been fun learning and coming to appreciate the different steels and I hope Spyderco keeps offering all the different steels as they always have. Without this I have my doubts Magnacut would ever have become a thing.

Spyderco is a pioneer in different steels for certain, I recognize people love certain steels for certain reasons and I say good for you hold on to them as for me why hold on to oh lets say Maxamet when I have the same model in Magnacut? to me the two Maxamet knives I own PM2 & Native are not daily carry, hold an edge forever? Yes, Patina and Rust Yes. = impractical in my use, therefore become collectors items collecting dust.

With the advent of Magnacut well lets just say the experimenting and dust collecting days are done. I prefer users not dust catchers.

Hmm now where shall I sell my used LC200N SE Native? :thinking
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

For me, Magnacut, Cru-Wear, & VG10/SPY27 are all ideally well balanced steels. Having a couple Maxamet (and 15V variations) will be comforting and useful in an extreme situation like disaster recovery, but if all I could have were the above 3 steels I'd be very happy. All the rest is fun, but is more about hobby than work.

Edit:
The N5 was the perfect knife to go first. The PM2 & Para 3 are a lock, I'm sure. The only other knife I can see wanting it on would be if they did a Siren 2.
Last edited by CDEP on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

anycal wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:19 pm
Is magnacut going to come as tool steel? 😂

G10 Native 5 is the only one I could be interested in.
Good reference, I got that one :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I look forward to getting something in Magnacut. I am patiently waiting for Spyderco’s in that steel to become more available.
Putting Spyderco aside for one moment, I can recall the crew at CRK making Dr Larrin Thomas a Sebenza in MagnaCut and Tim Reeve presenting it to him.
https://youtu.be/YCsQMafTjDQ
I watched that clip shortly after BBB posted. Considering CRK’s history in the development and use of CPM steel, my first thought was, in the not too distant future this steel will be the new base model steel for the big production companies. As existing stocks deplete, it will be the new ‘standard’.
MagnaCut hasn’t impacted on me purchasing sprints or exclusives (In particular steels like S90V, Cruwear or M4 etc).
It has definitely impacted on my purchasing over the last 12 months at least though. I have avoided purchasing models in stainless steels like S30/45. That includes some models I am interested in like the Smock and Kapara.
By no means am I throwing out any of my S30/45, LC200N, BD1N knives. Because of the step forward in overall improvement, I am prepared to wait and see if Spyderco changes over to MagnaCut from those steels. I have enough user knives where I can afford to be patient.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd like to see a Ladybug, Manbug, and/or Jester in the steel (preferably all three). I've found the family (especially the Jester) punches far above its size class.

I've EDC'd knives up to four-inch blades, but keep going back to the smallest ones.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

z1r wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:06 am
Personally think the Stretch 2, non-ss would be a great robust folding hunting knife. Plenty of edge retention, plenty tough, great blade shape. I have a ZDP S2 but use it primarily for skinning hogs.

But I want my PE N5 Salt first!
I completely agree. I'm eagerly awating the PE N5 Salt in Magnacut, serrations just aren't my thing. I have the Cruwear S2 XL on layaway (should have it next week) and got the BRG FRN ZDP S2 drop point a few days ago - the grip is phenomenal. I'd buy a drop point S2 (or ss for that matter) in Magnacut just to have that grip in that steel. But then... the N5 grip does have some strong similarities to the S2.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Endura Family

Stretch 2

Spyderchef

Manix-2 LW

I think that that is my list.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

I'm not very fussed about the Native, but I'd like to see a variety of lightweight models. My first choice would be a Stretch 2 XL lwt.