Magnacut or Bust Wishlist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Re: Magnacut or Bust Wishlist

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Respect or bust. Don't need any other knife this year.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Personally think the Stretch 2, non-ss would be a great robust folding hunting knife. Plenty of edge retention, plenty tough, great blade shape. I have a ZDP S2 but use it primarily for skinning hogs.

But I want my PE N5 Salt first!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Magnacut them all, I say. Or Cruwear, I'm not picky!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Magnacut is NOT focused on being rust proof. Its entire reason for being is to be a well balanced steel. The extra rust proof nature was even a bit of a surprise to the designer, Dr. Larrin Thomas. He has made lots of information publicly available, so make use of it.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is quite a bit of love for Magnacut, when there hasn't been much to speak of on it from the Spyderco front. I'd pump the brakes a bit before professing so much love.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really like Magnacut, but I don't think it's the 'end all' steel.

There are plenty of blades that I'd rather have in something else. I have plenty of knives that are easier to sharpen, plenty that hold an edge longer, and plenty that are tougher. I really like where Magnacut balances those properties, but I also have uses for (for example) non-stainless knives that hold an edge longer, or edges that are less tough but have longer edge holding.

I don't think that 'magnacut them all!' is a particularly good idea, if we are talking about replacing s110v or s90v with Magnacut. I'd argue that for my uses, magnacut is a straight upgrade to s30v, and I'd support the idea of spyderco (when stocks are exhausted) changing out s30v for magnacut as a 'base model steel' but I can't see magnacut replacing (just one example) maxamet in the knives that I want for the extreme edge holding of maxamet.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm not talking about replacing steels like S90V or S110V, however I'd love to see it replace VG-10 and S30v as the default steel, but only if it does not jack up prices much. Magnacut them all means to have to *available* on each model, not replacing all other steels with it.

Not all of us are in the "edge retention only" camp and strongly prefer a balanced steel. I long ago learned what I actually needed in a steel and do not harbor any thoughts that I need any extreme steel. I'm well aware where MC & Cruwear fit in regards to other steels and I'm happy with the compromises of either.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

If I can get a Pacific Salt in Magnacut I may just retire from the knife hobby.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 am
This is quite a bit of love for Magnacut, when there hasn't been much to speak of on it from the Spyderco front. I'd pump the brakes a bit before professing so much love.
I, too, am inclined to wait and see (MagnaCut Native5 inbound) even though many here have been swayed to MagnaCut’s goodness.

But, of course, we’ve each come to recognize that Spyderco only offers good steels, all good, just different.

While I don’t expect MagnaCut to wow me, I do expect to find compelling reasons to be confident in it. I might even champion it as a default steel, like others sure are.

Time will tell whether I want MagnaCut in other models.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Honestly, a must have in MagnCut for me is of course a Native 5 LW PE. Then it is harder.

I'd say long and or big blades. Any fixed blade and Police, Endura, Militaries...

Edit : Typo.
Last edited by Ramonade on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

I want a salt shaman in magnacut. The shaman is my grail work knife and I really like picking and choosing steels for what I'm doing each day, weather, and just to play with steels and experience their "flavor". US made is a big deal for me. It would replace my current rust proof choice, the leaf pe Caribbean.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm
If I can get a Pacific Salt in Magnacut I may just retire from the knife hobby.
My sentiment exactly!!

1) Pac Salt in Magnacut (with yellow FRN and black FRN!! - choices!!)

2) Salt in Magnacut (with yellow FRN and black FRN!! - choices!!)

3) Strecth 2 Salt in Magnacut

With these, I need nothing else. It's all about the practical application for me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 am
Not all of us are in the "edge retention only" camp and strongly prefer a balanced steel. I long ago learned what I actually needed in a steel and do not harbor any thoughts that I need any extreme steel. I'm well aware where MC & Cruwear fit in regards to other steels and I'm happy with the compromises of either.

100% all of that. Maybe I'm getting spoiled but I'm sick of sacrificing other qualities to gain insane edge retention.What I want is for all of the positive qualities of a knife steel to be pushed up at the same time, I want more gains and less compromises. It's friggin 2023, it's the future. I want the most well balanced future steel, and so far this is it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My sentiments exactly.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Is magnacut going to come as tool steel? 😂

G10 Native 5 is the only one I could be interested in.
Peter
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

I’d like to eventually see another collaboration with McNees but this time in Magnacut. Even just a McBee XL.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Im with the folks who say time will tell with magnacut. I for one am not going to sell all my variety of spydercos in amazing steels. Magnacut just seems like a good all arounder like s30v. I will try it out on a favorite model when available. I would like a magnacut manix or endura.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would like to try at least one knife in Magnacut...someday, if I ever buy another knife again...but there is no way I would personally get rid of any (or all) of my current Spydercos, just to replace them with (or to concentrate solely on) Magnacut.

Jim
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Honestly, I like Cruwear better than Magnacut.

I think Magnacut really shines in bigger knives, like the Shaman and Military. It’s a very tough steel. I’d buy either of those knives in a heartbeat.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.