Outstanding January Byte issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Outstanding January Byte issue

Post by olywa »

In depth Native and Magnacut issue. I learned a bunch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm gonna sit down with the appropriate beverage and re-read it this evening.
ladybug93

Re: Outstanding January Byte issue

Post by ladybug93 »

looking again at the history of the native just made me wish spyderco had kept the same grind and swedge from the 4 with the handle of the 5. it looked so nice and i bet it was a better slicer since the hollow grind would make it thinner behind the edge than the ffg is. if it still had that grind, the native would be more appealing to me. i might have to find one used someday.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Great article on the Native family.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Link?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 pm
looking again at the history of the native just made me wish spyderco had kept the same grind and swedge from the 4 with the handle of the 5. it looked so nice and i bet it was a better slicer since the hollow grind would make it thinner behind the edge than the ffg is. if it still had that grind, the native would be more appealing to me. i might have to find one used someday.
I agree, honestly.
Hollow grinds and swedges/false edges are things I’m fond of in general.

That’s why, even though I really like it already, the MicroJimbo would be more appealing to me with a hollow grind or hollow chisel grind.

I think the hollow grind and swedge makes a lot of sense for the Native too. Classic Spyderco.
Also partly why I wish the Worker (+ several other models) was still around and why I’m glad the Stainless Steel Police is actually still made.

Full Flats are nice, but I’ve arrived too late to enjoy most of the hollow grinds I’d want.

Maybe that can be a whole thread, “Hollow Ground Spyderco Appreciation”.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yup, newer isn't always better, is it? A good hollow grind is a joy to use. I need to hold my Centofante 3 now ...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:08 pm
Link?
Here’s the link to the browser version.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:08 pm
Link?

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 963d2ec1ef

Here’s where you can subscribe to the Spyderco byte emailed monthly newsletter as well as links to past issues (they’re a couple of months behind).

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/byte-e-newsletter/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

As a Native enthusiast, I couldn't be more happy to read this byte !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 pm

Agreed!

Though I always say the Native 5 is probably the coolest looking Spydie for me, its predecessor looks even cooler, primarily due to that "funky" grind.
Actually, as you say, very functional too: Great slicer on matter with not too large diameter, and pretty unique tip (perfect blend between pointy but still sturdy).

I sold my "old school" FRN Native (pic below) eventually - the more emotional knife guy in me would have kept it, but rationally just in my use and my hand Delica , Salt 2 and Chap are better options overall in the small knife arena.

...I also wish the Native Chief had that old kind of grind...(originally it was planned like that as far as I know, but those were times when the Native generally still had that cool grind).

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Excellent byte, thanks Spyderco. I just read it with my native 5 Magnacut in my pocket after coming home from working the late shift.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

For my part, I definitely prefer the FFG blade of the Native 5. Not to mention the upgraded handle.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I also prefer the N5 with the FFG blade. I never liked the older Natives and they are illegal, here, because of the swedge. Many localities outlaw swedges, even if they are unsharpened.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:21 am
I also prefer the N5 with the FFG blade. I never liked the older Natives and they are illegal, here, because of the swedge. Many localities outlaw swedges, even if they are unsharpened.
I didn't know this. Thats definitely an important consideration.
I assume the small swedge/facet currently featured on the Native 5 is okay, though?

For me, the hollow grind and swedges are just personal preferences. My Spy27 Native 5 is really excellent.

If Spyderco were to do a knife in the same vein as the "Performance Delica" in Golden, the Native would be a good choice.
Could meld the Native 4 and 5 blades with a thinner, higher, hollow and Native 5 style wedge.
Even if was made in Spy27, which i think would make sense as the Performance Delica will be VG10 and CPM Spy27 is basically an American particle metallurgy version of it, I would buy another Native in the same steel. I'm not usually big on buying similar models in the same materials, but this would be an easy exception.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

It is a good one!
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:21 am

For me, the hollow grind and swedges are just personal preferences. My Spy27 Native 5 is really excellent.

If Spyderco were to do a knife in the same vein as the "Performance Delica" in Golden, the Native would be a good choice.
Could meld the Native 4 and 5 blades with a thinner, higher, hollow and Native 5 style wedge.
I wouldn't mind a true hollow grind, but I would want the Native to have a high hollow grind close to the spine and very thin at the edge. I have a few knives like this and really like the performance. Of course, I'm not chopping rocks or anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Native 5 is Golden’s golden child, and it’s a fantastic knife. I much prefer the current iteration.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.