KnifeCenter Manix 2 XL Cruwear/Smooth G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeggarSo

Re: KnifeCenter Manix 2 XL Cruwear/Smooth G10

Post by BeggarSo »

To each their own I always say, as for the Manix versus the Xl it was a post by VIVI that got me to buy a used one, the regular Manix was always somewhat small in my hand and the blade was just not it for me, close but a bit small.

Just speaking for myself now mind you but the first time I held the Manix Xl it was like hitting a home run the darn thing just fit my hand perfectly and locked in perfectly. I do have to wear XXL gloves so I would say where this model really shines is with folks with large hands. The extra blade length is also better than the regular in my opinion.

After getting the XL I don't even pay attention to the regular sized Manix anymore. For me the XL is what the Manix should have always been and the regular on called the Manix mini.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I definitely like how my C95 Manix feels in my hand better than the Manix 2, and I expect my hand to also prefer the Manix 2 XL. I guess because my introduction to the Manix was the C95 I always thought of the Manix 2 as a Mini Manix, since it it the size of the old Mini Manix. I wear XXL gloves since I have very wide hands, and the little longer handle with better retention at the rear of the handle. I am sure the grip shape and the jimping will make up for the smooth G10 not adding grip, but I am pretty sure I’ll end up getting some textured scales of some sort. On knives that may be used hard I just like having a little more traction from the scales.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

First Manix. Like the knife. Like the lock. Smooth G10 works ok but not ideal for this knife and its intended role.

What scales are you going to replace these with?
- Richard
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I have all the KC Cru-Wear/Smooth G10s except the Manix 2. I'm carrying the Para 3 today. The ergos on these knives are more than enough to keep them in my hand for normal daily use, and the smooth G10 is easy on the pockets. Cru-Wear is my favorite steel, so I love all of these versions.

The Manix 2 is great in hand while using, but is the only platform that is awkward for me to 1-hand close. I figured the smooth G10 would make that worse. Oddly, when I got the XL in 4V from SNK I found it to be great one-handed, so I pulled the trigger on the KC XL and am looking forward to having it in hand.
Brian
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I will never have anything bad to say about the Manix, it's a near perfect design in my opinion. I suspect that due to it being more popular than the xl and having more options as far as Sprints and exclusives I will continue to buy them.

But, for example if there had been a 15V Manix XL sprint available, I likely would have bought that instead of the regular 15V Manix. I have to carry knives smaller than a regular Manix on my work days, and I like to carry as big a knife as reasonable on my off days.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm
I'm bumping this just because I'm excited. I'm not a huge fan of smooth G10 but the extreme jimping should still provide adequate grip. Plus CruWear is fantastic.

And thanks AGAIN Vivi for convincing me the Manix 2 XL platform would work for me. Love it!!
Just got mine in hand. In this design with all the jimping and the handle ergos I find it locks in extremely well into my size L glove hands. Fantastic amount of blade for the weight in one of the best all around steels we have ever had the pleasure of being able to purchase for <200 dollars. It's a keeper at my place.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Yep, incoming!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

How does the Manix XL compare to the Yojimbo 2 size wise? Can I get a picture? KC still has the smooth Y2 in stock and it's very tempting.
- Richard
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Kleon wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:55 pm
Fantastic amount of blade for the weight

This. The weight for such a beefed up knife is where it really shines.

It weighs the same as a Spyderco Shaman and has more blade and handle.

The closest non-Spyderco offering might be the large Benchmade Adamas and it is over an ounce heavier and much more expensive. As far as CBBL vs Axis lock, I don’t know how they compare in strength but I trust the CBBL’s single coil spring more than two omega springs. The Axis deploys a little more quickly and is more fidgety. The Spyderco leaf blade shape should slice better and be more versatile.

Cold Steel has less steel options but makes a lot of large folders, including some that dwarf this knife. Their folding knives no longer represent the great value they once did imo. Best backlock around, but no backlock will be in the same ballpark of deployment speed and smoothness.

It has and will always surprise me that this knife often gets overlooked as a hard use folder.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

This is the first I’m seeing about this and man… it sure is tempting.

Edit.*
I don’t know about the smooth g10 though… never had a knife with smooth g10, it seems counterintuitive to me… a knife of this size I want to be able to hang on to. I’ve had a couple Manix 2 xl’s and like the grip the regular g10 offers…
Last edited by prndltech on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:10 pm
Haven't seen this posted yet, figured some of you would be freaking out over this one.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP95GP ... l&kcno=123

I don't know much about cruwear. Thanks for sharing.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:13 pm
Kleon wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:55 pm
Fantastic amount of blade for the weight

This. The weight for such a beefed up knife is where it really shines.

It weighs the same as a Spyderco Shaman and has more blade and handle.

The closest non-Spyderco offering might be the large Benchmade Adamas and it is over an ounce heavier and much more expensive. As far as CBBL vs Axis lock, I don’t know how they compare in strength but I trust the CBBL’s single coil spring more than two omega springs. The Axis deploys a little more quickly and is more fidgety. The Spyderco leaf blade shape should slice better and be more versatile.

Cold Steel has less steel options but makes a lot of large folders, including some that dwarf this knife. Their folding knives no longer represent the great value they once did imo. Best backlock around, but no backlock will be in the same ballpark of deployment speed and smoothness.

It has and will always surprise me that this knife often gets overlooked as a hard use folder.
Yeah, I have the Espada XL G10. IT IS A BEAST!
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Well, I caved. Between the heavy jimping and the pricing, you guys talked me into it. The DLC blade will just be more expensive.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Uh Yeah about my earlier remarks, Officially eating my words and apologizing for earlier Smooth G-10 comments on the Manix in Cruwear I purchased a while back.

Cough, Cough, Ahem.. Er it turns out my memory was of another knife from them in smooth G-10 a Para 3 or PM2 as I am now recalling, it truly was horrible and would literally fly out of my hand. That one I did sell.

So what changed my mind?

Well due to this thread I pulled out my Manix2 XL S30V in DLC and used it and remembered how much I love this model.

Then due to the price being so affordable on this Cruwear XL I kept looking and looking.... so I pulled out the Cruwear smooth G-10 Manix regular size and lol desiccants spilled everywhere after vacuuming it up I placed the knife in hand and opened it and hey you know what it felt good and sure as heck just like others have pointed out the jimping and handle shape do prevent it from flying out of the hand.

Soooo.... Yeah I pulled the trigger and have one incoming after all.

I figure all that knife for sub $200.00 US what is there to loose? it might be a long time until we see a Manix Xl2 in Magnacut and until then Cruwear is most certainly welcome.

As I thought about things more I have always liked Cruwear so I guess it will also be a keeper steel but stuff like LC200N is still going to go as I replace models with Magnacut.

Sorry if my earlier words turned someone away from a purchase please reconsider, I was in error.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Great steel for this knife. And the ergos definitely will work with the smooth G10.
Unfortunately I don't have the needed payment methods :sad-but-relieved
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 am
Great steel for this knife. And the ergos definitely will work with the smooth G10.

I bought from KC once and I am sure they
let me wire the money to them the "oldschool" way (I don't have a credit card).

Had to email them though first.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 pm
How does the Manix XL compare to the Yojimbo 2 size wise? Can I get a picture? KC still has the smooth Y2 in stock and it's very tempting.
Here you go -

That’s a standard Manix 2 XL (sporting a Lynch deep carry clip) next to the smooth G10 KC exclusive Yojimbo 2. The third pic is with the Yojumbo (S90V CF exclusive) in for additional reference. If you like smooth G10 you can’t go wrong with the KC Yojimbo 2, although it does have its quirks (if you’re not gripping it tightly when Spydie flicking it open your sofa might gain a new ventilation feature…speaking from experience).
Attachments
63F6B545-2BC1-4C12-92D0-C94BB56C71B5.jpeg
E7BD219B-229E-4005-B641-CFDF22344768.jpeg
E7F93DF2-B695-46AB-8AD6-5E21D7209F71.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:59 am
riclaw wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 pm
Here you go -

That’s a standard Manix 2 XL (sporting a Lynch deep carry clip) next to the smooth G10 KC exclusive Yojimbo 2. The third pic is with the Yojumbo (S90V CF exclusive) in for additional reference. If you like smooth G10 you can’t go wrong with the KC Yojimbo 2, although it does have its quirks (if you’re not gripping it tightly when Spydie flicking it open your sofa might gain a new ventilation feature…speaking from experience).
Thanks, Al. Those are great pictures. That Yojumbo is huge.
- Richard
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:18 am
Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 am

I bought from KC once and I am sure they
let me wire the money to them the "oldschool" way (I don't have a credit card).

Had to email them though first.

Thanks. Will give it a try.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Am I the only one that likes smooth G10? Reminds me of dozier and Randall smooth micarta