Spydercos you wish you could buy half a dozen of...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Spydercos you wish you could buy half a dozen of...

Post by wrdwrght »

[UH-OH, TOTALLY MISSED INTENT OF QUESTION…, but here’s my answer anyway]

Past or future excessiveness?

If looking back at what I presently have: 5 Military Models; 10 PM2s (not counting now-sold S30V and 204P); 12 Manixes (originals, 2s, XLs); 5 Sages (1-5; the series now confuses me); 4 Chaparrals (CF, stealth Ti, stepped Ti, raffir; not counting now-sold original S30V); 3 Native Shamans (not counting now-sold original S30V).

If looking toward what I want: of Lil’Temps (need the 1, in PE and SE, and the 3 in K390 to have 6); of Bob Lums (need black G10 sprint to have 4); of Native Shamans (need the 15V and would take a 52100 to have 6); of Chaparrals, something will get me 6); and of Sages (whose kidding who, I need the Maxamet Sage1 whatever the reason for changing the series’ criteria).

Could (but won’t) pursue the World Trade Center D’Allara to bring my D’Allaras 1-3 to 4.

These multiples are steel-, handle-, lock- blade-shape- or edge-treatment-variants of the noted model.

[EDITED TO ADD: I regard each Spydie variant I own as singular and I would not want the same variant everywhere I might use it. What I’m carrying is meant to be with me wherever I end up needing that day. So I choose well, which my collection makes easy.]
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think in most cases many of us have more or less done this when possible? I have 5 Militaries and have owned 7 and will surely have more eventually, I think I have 5 Yojimbo 2's, 5 Natives...there are a lot of reasons to have 6 of one knife if you're into trying out different steel. In cases where I'm not buying duplicates for the different steel/handle, I think two or maybe three cover my pre-need paranoia.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pre-need paranoia. Excellent.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

All of them
Just one more knife...
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Domino. I love Titanium framelocks, and this one is the perfect size and shape for me.

I already have three, which should be more than enough, but when I saw another one go up for sale locally, I had to fight the strong urge to snap it up.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:57 pm
I'd buy more Spyderco S90V Native Chiefs.

But there are M390 Native Chiefs available at Spyderco right now and when they are gone, they are long gone!!! These are fantastic knives.
Naperville, you only use knives for self defence, right? Meaning you don’t use your knife for edc at all? Curious as to why you chose the Native Chief over a yo2 which was designed specifically for self defence.
The Filipino martial arts that I studied, the knife arts of escrima, kali, and arnis have hundreds of moves, some that rely on thrusts and some that rely on slashing, or a combination of the two. I prefer a more typical thrusting profile on the front 50% of my knives. The YoJumbo is an excellent knife, I need to get one. I sold my 3 Yojimbo's, but I would not have had I the cash to pay my debts. I wanted to save all of my Native Chiefs and I have them all!

Folders have small real estate for cuts and thrusts, usually you are lucky to find one of the attributes in the blade profile but the Native Chief has them both.

There are a couple of other manufacturers making knives with strong thrusting profiles. The problem is, once you thrust, you want to open the cavity up some...you don't want to thrust into a target with a needle, that would be useless. The Benchmade Fact comes to mind, good for penetration, but useless for opening a target up.

Some belly is warranted, but I like to keep it away from the tip of the knife. While you want to open the target up, you do not want too much belly up toward the tip, so much so that it interferes with penetration into multiple layers of clothing. The Spyderco Native Chief has an aggressive profile, good for penetration, opening the cavity in the target, and a "flat" that offers a broad area for slashing.

The Native Chief looks to be the best Spyderco folder for EDC where self defense comes into play for the martial arts that I study.

I'd like to buy a few YoJumbos. I feel they are pretty good knives too.

I like to stay between 3.75 to 5.0 inch blades for my EDC Self Defense collection. For actual EDC, I like to carry 3.5 to 4.0.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:57 pm
I'd buy more Spyderco S90V Native Chiefs.

But there are M390 Native Chiefs available at Spyderco right now and when they are gone, they are long gone!!! These are fantastic knives.
Naperville, you only use knives for self defence, right? Meaning you don’t use your knife for edc at all? Curious as to why you chose the Native Chief over a yo2 which was designed specifically for self defence.
I've used knives twice for self defense. I carry the Native Chief all of the time and always will. I don't see a better blade profile coming along. I am also trying to work in 3 other fixed blades into my EDC, so I will have 4 knives on me at all times.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm
a model you like so well, you'd pass up other models to get multiples of the one you like.
there are models showing up that i would love, but they aren't my favorites, so i'm letting them pass. perfect examples are the dlt yo2 in dlc cruwear/purple g10 and kc cruwear m2xl. those are some great knives, but i'd rather have the manixes i'm waiting on or other unique designs i don't already own.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 am
Spydercos you wish you could buy a half dozen of? As in, multiples of the same model. Please share.
Reading this closer, I see now that half a dozen was not a hard minimum. So, if you mean 2 or more of the same model, then I can add an embarrassing amount to my previous list. :zipper :flushed

Edited to add, only one Caly Jr. LW.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wish came true, thrice :open-grin Half-half dozen.

I do have half dozen of PM2s, and had that in Native 5 (let couple go) at one point.

Peter
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Probably have 10-12 different mule steels for nearly 25-30 mules.

So basically have met the brief ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 pm
Wish came true, thrice :open-grin Half-half dozen.

I do have half dozen of PM2s, and had that in Native 5 (let couple go) at one point.

Wow! A winning entry!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

I also buy multiples of the same knife… it’s definitely a sickness! LOL

For me I’ve got multiples of the knife center manix 2 in Cruwear and smooth G10, the z-wear Micarta shaman, and the k390 endela… love those knife designs and steels.

With the knives I have multiples of I enjoy putting custom scales on each of them to give them some uniqueness.

My wife says I have too many knives and often asks “how many knives can you carry/use at one time?” My response? Well how many purses and shoes can you wear at one time? I keep buying her shoes and purses, and she lets me buy knives… 😂
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Got the M4 and S90V Ti Framelock Military's.

I wish there was a series of Ti Framelock Military's in six more steels.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 pm
…..and S90V Ti Framelock Military's.

I wish there was a series of Ti Framelock Military's in six more steels.

^^^ That. I would buy seven in SPY27.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
brancron

Post by brancron »

I am very late to the Military party—just got my first one last month, and in BG42/carbon fiber no less! I was instantly smitten with it and regret not having gotten into this model sooner.

So the Military would be my choice. Assuming price/availability was not an issue, I'd pick up the following five others:

(1) M4/black G10/Ti framelock from 2010 (Knifeworks exclusive)

(2) S90V/blue G10 from 2013 (Bento Box Shop exclusive)

(3) 52100/carbon fiber from 2016 (sprint)

(4) REX 45/burnt orange G10 from 2018 (sprint)

(5) CPM-D2/foliage green G10 from 2007 (sprint)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've done this with both the Manix and Para 3 in the past. I believe I've had 6-7 of each at one time...now down to 3 Manix and 1 Para 3.

I tend to find it to be a bit of a waste of money, and opportunity at other knives if spending so much money on the same knife, just in a different configuration. Particularly backups of the exact same knife. Nobody is going to use a knife, of the quality of a Spyderco that you will ever actually need a backup. That's silly talk. If you're not prying with your knife, and are responsible and don't lose them.

There's waaaaaaaaaaaay too many great knives from all sorts of different makers out there these days, I'd rather throw some money at something different and possibly find a new favorite or something that fills a niche...than buy the same knife over and over and over again.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:21 pm
I've done this with both the Manix and Para 3 in the past. I believe I've had 6-7 of each at one time...now down to 3 Manix and 1 Para 3.

I tend to find it to be a bit of a waste of money, and opportunity at other knives if spending so much money on the same knife, just in a different configuration. Particularly backups of the exact same knife. Nobody is going to use a knife, of the quality of a Spyderco that you will ever actually need a backup. That's silly talk. If you're not prying with your knife, and are responsible and don't lose them.

There's waaaaaaaaaaaay too many great knives from all sorts of different makers out there these days, I'd rather throw some money at something different and possibly find a new favorite or something that fills a niche...than buy the same knife over and over and over again.
i think i'm a fairly responsible person, but i've lost and found three spydercos now. one for years and the other two for months. it's not a difficult thing to do to lose a knife. that's another reason i can't bring myself to drop $500 on one.

as far as other knives go, i try some here and there, but at the price point i'm comfortable with, i seriously doubt i'll ever find anything i like more than the manix. i like all my other knives, spyderco or not, so i'll cycle through them, but i like having a few manixes to choose from also, since it's my favorite.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Well i have a dozen Manix 2's.
Would like a dozen Manix XL's ( only 4 of those at the moment. )
I wish and dream about having a dozen Original lockback c95 manixes.
And now that i have a Shaman since today i would have a dozen of those to.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I wish I could buy a half dozen Nirvana's because that means I'd have $6,000. I'd buy two Nirvana's, have one reground and keep the other pristine. Then I'd spend the remaining $4,000 on 10-15 other knives.

:cheap-sunglasses