Manix 2 or Shaman? Help me out...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: Manix 2 or Shaman? Help me out...

Post by Netherend »

E58842B7-5A99-491C-967B-A9106B6466C3.jpeg
Since the lightweight Manix was mentioned. Here is how it looks next to the shaman
Just one more knife...
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I'm a huge outdoors hunting/fishing fan. I usually carry a large folder to gut/clean my deer and game. Gutting a deer is supper tough on a knife, especially cutting through the bone and cartilage in the sternum. Last fall I broke the tip off my Kershaw Blur cutting through the sternum of a deer. I wasn't pleased and don't want that happening again. I think from what I'm hearing the Shaman is a better choice for my particular use. I like the ergo of the handle and the thickness of the blade. Plus, I don't like the idea of blood and guts interfering with the operation of the lock of the Manix 2 as I fear it would bind up in there. Thanks for all the input. Let me know if you think i'm wrong on choosing the Shaman.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

jmj3esq wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pm
I'm a huge outdoors hunting/fishing fan. I usually carry a large folder to gut/clean my deer and game. Gutting a deer is supper tough on a knife, especially cutting through the bone and cartilage in the sternum. Last fall I broke the tip off my Kershaw Blur cutting through the sternum of a deer. I wasn't pleased and don't want that happening again. I think from what I'm hearing the Shaman is a better choice for my particular use. I like the ergo of the handle and the thickness of the blade. Plus, I don't like the idea of blood and guts interfering with the operation of the lock of the Manix 2 as I fear it would bind up in there. Thanks for all the input. Let me know if you think i'm wrong on choosing the Shaman.
Here is the link to field dressing & spydercos... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93254&hilit=field+dressing
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

As one who has processed my share of deer, owns a bunch of Manixes, but has never even seen a Shaman in person, I would still unhesitatingly recommend the Shaman. Though neither has a blade ideal for skinning, the Shaman is a little closer, and it would be great for the non-skinning chores. And I believe you're correct in thinking the Shaman would feel a little more like using a fixie than the Manix would.

It's available, or at least has been, in several excellent steels. Even the base model S30V is no slouch. A Shaman in 15V would be an awesome hunting knife!

Edited to say I think a more neutral handle is a benefit when maneuvering a knife inside a game animal so, again, the Shaman would be my choice. This discussion makes me wish I still hunted, so I'd have a legit reason to buy a Shaman!
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Im not so much skinning game, but cutting through skin, small bones, and cartilage. Basically opening up the animal and emptying the internal organs. I know what I need and I think the Shaman will provide it. That thick deep spine of the blade will work perfectly. I easily cleaned my last buck with my Kershaw Blur, which is similar sized. Unfortunately, as stated above, the tip broke off in the sternum of the deer.

I couldn't take it anymore so I gave myself an early birthday present. I just purchased an exclusive Shaman Brown Burlap Micarta in S90V. I paid too much, but I love the looks and the steel. I'm pretty pumped to get this bad boy in hand.
benben

Post by benben »

Recently started carrying two, my Cru-wear Manix in my RFP, and a serrated LC200N Salt 2 wharncliffe in my LFP. And I have to say....it's a great combination!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Small lightweight folding saw for sternum.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wonder about Spyderco's failure testing, I would love to get a peek at the numbers between these two because even though the Shaman seems like the beefier knife I bet the lock and pivot areas are stronger on the Manix 2. On a Compression Lock I assume the first thing to fail is the stop pin and/or screws, compared to the CBBL that has twice as many screws securing the back spacer. The Shaman has a larger pivot though, and I'm sure it's probably stronger in a lateral direction so it may withstand more prying and twisting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I hear what you're saying about the saw for the sternum, but I don't want to pack one. Plus, I can do it in half the time with a knife. I know I can get through it with muscle and a good solid blade. I'm also going on a Wyoming elk hunt this fall. Hopefully we put the Shaman to the test on some REAL big game.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I used my police 3 g-10 SE to process my deer this past season. A specialty knife is a better choice. I have a buck that has a gut hook a saw blade and a plain edge knife blade. Makes the job much easier.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:21 pm
I used my police 3 g-10 SE to process my deer this past season. A specialty knife is a better choice. I have a buck that has a gut hook a saw blade and a plain edge knife blade. Makes the job much easier.
If you're a one knife only kinda deer hunter, there is much to be said for a CrossLock. I wish Spyderco adopted the Zipper on a couple of their knives. Royalties honored, of course.