What Spyderco knives do you want to see in ceramic

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

What Spyderco knives do you want to see in ceramic

Post by Fireman »

The ceramic mule is coming soon. Question is, what knives to put it in? A neck knife is a no brained. A sheep’s foot salt boat knife? A ceramic Siren?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Re: What Spyderco knives do you want to see in ceramic

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting this question would come up. Because I've wondered for some time about possibly making the C-36 Military offered up with a ceramic blade. I can't think of another model that would be more ideal than that.

In the fixed blade category a ceramic version of the South Fork would be very interesting as well.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My overall take is that ceramic would not be used for power cutting and more for slicing capability so negative blade angle is not a priority. IMHO it would be well suited for neutral or positive blade angle knives like the SpydieChef or Kapara. I wouldn't be using it for trashbin cardboard for example.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Ceramic Spydiechef ? Alright that's even more premium than the budget LW version discussed in the other thread, but that'd make perfect sense.

A sheep’s foot salt boat knife as suggested by Fireman would also be right up the alley. The sheep's foot format would lessen the chances of breaking a very pointy blade tip - always a concern with ceramic.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

A small knife like the UKPK or even the Dragonfly probably makes the most sense. Thin, slicey.

I’m not sure that ceramic I tough enough to hold serrations well - this was a problem with ZDP, so I can only imagine it being worse with ceramic
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

What happens if you drop one of these things? I’m not seeing the work knife scenario here. I will admit I haven’t been keeping up on the latest developments, so; I’m looking forward to being pleasantly surprised. I’ll let you guys be the guinea pigs on this.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can't think of a knife i'd want in ceramic. disposable utility blades maybe, but not a $$$ spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pending assurances that this material won’t shatter on even the slightest impact, I don’t imagine any Spydie I’d want it in.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Skar

Post by Skar »

I don't have interest in ceramic.
I thought it was un undesirable, chipping and extremely difficult to sharpen.
Unless I'm wrong, I don't see the advantage of ceramic.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

From a production standpoint something like a linerless, washerless slippie like a UKPK might make some sense. For years prior to delving into Spyderco Salts, my corrosion proof knife was a Gerber EAB with replaceable ceramic blades. Too bad Spyderco has a no blade replacement policy if one should shatter.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have a knife in the material already. It’s thin and still held up pretty well. The Mule will be thicker and tougher. It could be done on a system where if there is a catastrophic failure, you just have a back up blade to replace in the scales of a fixed or folder or just make them cheap enough to have a few for back up. I will have several mules so in my extreme testing I can break one and then swap scales. The UKPK is a good one to do too. The chef is a must in this material in a lightweight version. I want to see a dive knife for this material as well. There are a few situations where a non metallic knife is needed or better. I want to see what serrated pattern will work best with this material. If you are not going to sharpen it, might as well make it serrated. Being ultra light, it’s no sweat to have this as a back up knife in your pack. With carbon fiber handles you can have a knife that weighs an ounce or two.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/VwlGme6AUtI
People don’t abuse Rex 121 but this will out cut it
Skar wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 pm
I don't have interest in ceramic.
Unless I'm wrong, I don't see the advantage of ceramic.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Forgot to mention that I do have a ceramic paring knife in the kitchen. My Sabatiers make rusty brown apple slices. My ceramic paring knife and peelers don't. :winking-tongue
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ll wait for forum reports on the ceramic mule before springing for another ceramic knife. I doubt Spyderco will sell a ceramic folder before it’s reliably tough.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Skar wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 pm
If you have a very fine diamond stone it's not hard to sharpen. It's different than steel because it doesn't form a burr so I find using alternating edge trailing passes works best. On a 3/2 micron Venev stone I can take it from dull to sharp in a few minutes.

Personally I prefer steel for myself, but it works well as a "family" knife in the kitchen where it gets abused cutting on ceramic plates, glass and sits wet and dirty often.
-Turbo
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

None for me. I won't get into my reasons. But humans went from the stone age to the steel age. For good reasons.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 pm
The chef is a must in this material in a lightweight version.
Based on what Sal has said in the Spydiechef LW thread, a new Spydichef model would be unlikely.

However, perhaps ceramic blades for the existing Spydiechef could be produced. That'd be more realistic financially speaking. (But... we'd be back to the problem of Spyderco selling parts directly to consumers...)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

None… hasn’t interested me and I have seen them come out when I was a butcher.. they all broke. They were a pain to sharpen…
We called them 1 week knives…good for a week then they were either broken or blunt.

Can see the appeal but not for me.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

The answer is none. With years of skills sharpening knives to a very high degree, and spyderco steel blades able to pass the hanging hair test used for testing straight razors, I see no reason to change to a material that is more fragile. Ive had a couple cermaic kitchen knives. They cut, but with thousands of dollars of steel sharpening equipment, im not looking to change now.

Not to mention fragility of current ceramic blades. Im sure if anyone could make one non fragile it would be spyderco. Look how they made frn handles stronger than steel blades!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm in for the EC MuleTeam! After that I wouldn't know.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049