"sharpener's steels"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

"sharpener's steels"

Post by sethwm »

cruwear in my opinion is a joy to sharpen. Today I started carrying my cruwear delica again.

This youtube video refers to cruwear as a "sharpener's steel". Also super blue. What else do folk's consider to be in that category? SPY27 perhaps?

twinboysdad

Re: "sharpener's steels"

Post by twinboysdad »

HAP40, but honestly VG10 is white belt sharpeners gold. Sticky sharp easy on basic SM rods. HAP40 I can get laser sharp too
Last edited by twinboysdad on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

And REX45 is basically the same as HAP40 yeah?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

CTS-XHP is a joy on the Chaparral. Sal says Super Blue just wants to get sharp. I have heard 52100 is similar in experience. Maybe add LC200N.

LC200N seems to be the easiest to roll an edge in my experience. I wonder how some of the others compare with that? Super Blue? 52100? I will say Cruwear and SPY27 for the easier edge they take seem to hold it fairly well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

4V and S90V.

15v is shaping up nicely, too.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:53 pm
And REX45 is basically the same as HAP40 yeah?
Yeah, really similar chemistry.

I don’t think of Rex 45 as easy to sharpen - but I’ve taken chips out of it using only the brown rods.

Cruwear I agree with. Whatever they make Opinels out of I agree with. VG-10 I agree with.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Vg10 and 154cm are crazy easy to sharpen on sharp maker.

I also am quite fond of 12c27, especially laminated, and of course 13c26, those probably sharpen easier and hold a better edge.

For what its worth, I hate s30v. I feel the way it chips out makes it too much work to fix edges. And a microscope shows it likes to microchip on coarse grit stones, trashing the edge.

Some of the knives I have from custom makers show D2 to sharpen really well. And of course 1095.

I find lion steel niolox to sharpen well.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I haven’t touched my Siren sprint in S90V yet specifically because I have doubts on my ability to resharpen on SM brown rods
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I second cruwear. So easy to get a beautiful edge on. I’m also surprised nobody has mentioned zdp189 yet. I love the stuff and it sharpens so well
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ever since getting my Stretch XL, I have really come to appreciate VG10. I think Spy27 is just a joy to sharpen, easy and gets crazy sharp. Cruwear also very sharp but seems to have better edge retention. Only had to sharpen once so far.

Really looking forward to trying my SB DF2.
Strauss95

Post by Strauss95 »

LC200N, Vtoku2, VG10, and CruWear all get extremely sharp very easily for me. Also my Japanese kitchen knives in White #1 and Aogami Super get crazy sharp very easily, as do most simple high carbon steels like 1095 etc.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

S35vn is fun to sharpen. CruWear is the bomb. And I’ve always found s30v to be fairly easy to sharpen. 1095 even with Rowen heat treat is super fun and easy to sharpen.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Giygas wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:06 pm
4V and S90V.

15v is shaping up nicely, too.
What are you using on 15V?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Deburring is the most underrated feature for a "sharpeners" steel.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Magnacut sharpens like a “sharpener’s steel” to me. I don’t think it’s ubiquitous enough to hold that title yet but I have a feeling it might someday.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 pm
Deburring is the most underrated feature for a "sharpeners" steel.
Truth!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I think the heat treat plays a big role in what makes a "sharpener's steel".

I have 2 knives in Nitrobe77 which is considered by many to be a "sharpener's steel" but the one from Roman Kase aka KKnives Switzerland is on another level compared to the one I have from Dulo.
-Turbo
Erich

Post by Erich »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:25 pm
cruwear in my opinion is a joy to sharpen. Today I started carrying my cruwear delica again.

This youtube video refers to cruwear as a "sharpener's steel". Also super blue. What else do folk's consider to be in that category? SPY27 perhaps?

Super Blue, SPY27, and Cruwear are all fundamentally different steels. "Sharpener's steel" is an inherently vague and relative term, just like "super steel."

Before I got my edge pro recently I was watching this guy's videos for sharpening advice but he is a poor communicator. He muddles the water with buzzwords and in the few and brief videos he did about sharpening he gets frustrated and begins talking down to the audience. I left a down vote and moved on.

You basically have different degrees of wear resistance. The more wear resistant, the longer it takes to sharpen, the more passes you need etc.

A lot of these knife guys like Christy are just showmanship and egoism. Cliff Stamp mentioned this and he was right. You need to be skeptical with the internet. It's rare to find someone actually interested in teaching. Cliff Stamp, Murray Carter, and Nick Shabazz are the guys I listen to. I don't agree with all of them on everything but they all can make good points on their own and generally have good attitudes. Larrin's website is a great resource on steels.
Geometry

Post by Geometry »

For what it's worth, you do have to take many grains of salt with internet advice, but I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt more than usual on the internet. I feel if I made a YouTube video I wouldn't come across anything like I would in person, and I'd want someone to give me the chance too.

Michael Christie's videos opened my eyes to what was possible once upon a time, and I've been able to absorb enough from them along my journey to get those hair whittling edges myself. That may just be a stepping stone, as I always want to continue learning, but his opinions seem pretty valuable to me, even if he may speak in a very flat, succinct way.
:bug-white-red I like using my brain around people smarter than myself.
z1r

Post by z1r »

CruWear for sure, love it. Spy27 too. Both seem to get sticky sharp for me on my Sharpmaker. I'm hoping M4 is similar, haven't dulled mine yet to the point I need to sharpen it. I consider the above "sharpener's steels" because, even for an amateur like me, they get stick sharp easily. I think I'd include VG10 in that category too. I love K390, it sharpens "easily" for the type of steel it is, certainly easier than S110V, and keeps that edge a long time. But I can't get it "sticky" sharp.