Manix G10 and LW blades identical?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Manix G10 and LW blades identical?

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 pm
apollo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:03 pm
The Difference between the LW in bd1n and the standard g10 in s30v is 25$ where i live and yes you are correct the making of the molds is very expensive but to be realistic here you have to calculate in that at this point in time the cost of those molds have bin paid off for a long time , so basically all spyderco is paying for is the frcp it self and no way that stuff is as expensive as g10 and the liners.
So bd1n vs s30v and then those handle differences with just such a small margin in price , it makes the LW very much loose the quality to price ratio battle in my eyes.

(Also yes it takes great skill to produce such a good LW knife but skill is not something needed to be calculated into the price tag because its the whole reason to design something new namely to make something good. And if Sal or Eric or the other designers at spyderco had no skill you and me would not have bin on this forum because spyderco would have not bin a successful business then. )

Now like i said in my OG post i am definitely not saying the LW are bad knives because all Manixes are incredibly great knives. My only problem with the LW is the fact that if you are a strong enough guy or girl and you put you’re full force on the thing in a cut the handle will “give” and is this a bad thing ?
That is debatable until the end of time…
The Manix will not brake i know that and anybody with a brain knows that but that does not mean that for that price Spyderco could have easily made those tiny internal liners a tiny bit longer so that flex just could not happen. Sure it would cost them a gram or 2 in weight but it would have made the design so much more comforting in the mind department.

With what you say about there being so many heavier designs i must disagree. Yes they are a good number but all of those are in the meantime older designs. And eventough i still need to try a few i would love some more new variations hit the market. But like the fans of LW’s we also want something new once in awhile… ( And that can even be a variation like a g10 in spy-27 for example )
Spyderco has done almost exclusively LW variants for more the last of couple years now. And sorry but the stretch you mention is a sprint run and those do not count since they are made in such low numbers these days that they even do not reach Europe anymore… Look at the 15 v at the moment. They made Probably 4 or 5 pieces per dealer while there are a thousand fans scouting the sites day and night so i do not find those counting as new offerings anymore since almost no one will ever have them.

Thanks for the reply, my friend, you´re making some good points indeed.

- I don´t know how much of a sales volume Spyderco has to make with a knife in order to ammortize molds, but I guess you must be right that in case of the Manix LW the molds must have paid off already - it sells so well, that otherwise probably almost no LW model would make sense economically speaking.

- I am also certain that you are right in assuming that G10 and liners is clearly more expensive than "just" FRCP - but in relation to the price of the knife, I am not sure if that matters a lot (?) - lets say the G10 model costs $ 150, the G10 and liner steel used for it $ 4; The FRCP model on the other hand costs lets say $ 120, the FRCP material $ 0.50. The handle material costs of the G10 model would be 8 times higher, but absolutely speaking that would not make that much of a difference (this is just a completely fictional guess, I have no idea of the real costs and also assume that it takes more labor time to make a linered G10 model than a linerless FRCP one).

- "Give" in the handle: Nothing I ever noticed on my LW Manixes, even in "hard cutting", and I think I am a pretty strong guy, especially in the hands (mainly from climbing, some dumbbell training and so on). But if I´d focus in feeling flex I´d probably could, so if you want the most rigidity the G10 linered Manix is certainly the way to go.

- "Many heavier designs": I guess this is probably a bit subjective and depends on how one is defining "heavy": For me for example the Shaman, the Caribbean, the Rock Jumper, the Endela, perhaps the new Millie 2 (don´t know about the amount of liners the G10 handle will have) are though not "heavy", still not lightweights by having liners and strong handle slabs - and all are somewhat newer designs.
But you are right: There definitely seems to be a trend toward lighter Spydies.

- I am pretty sure the G10 / Cruwear Stretch is regular production?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jwbnyc wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 am
You are still in the moderation pokey as a new member. Hang in there: soon you will have free run of the forum.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I do like a full liner mid backlock knife every now and then.

Me too! Though I am certainly more in the "lightweight corner", for regular EDC I prefer the feel of the linered Endura over the linerless Pac Salt (otherwise pretty similar knives) for example.
Pac Salt is a bit better carry in very light garment and/or "floppy" pockets and when the weight saving spleen almost all mountaineers seem to have when it comes to gear they bring in their packs gets me... :grimace :')
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 am
apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 pm
apollo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:03 pm
The Difference between the LW in bd1n and the standard g10 in s30v is 25$ where i live and yes you are correct the making of the molds is very expensive but to be realistic here you have to calculate in that at this point in time the cost of those molds have bin paid off for a long time , so basically all spyderco is paying for is the frcp it self and no way that stuff is as expensive as g10 and the liners.
So bd1n vs s30v and then those handle differences with just such a small margin in price , it makes the LW very much loose the quality to price ratio battle in my eyes.

(Also yes it takes great skill to produce such a good LW knife but skill is not something needed to be calculated into the price tag because its the whole reason to design something new namely to make something good. And if Sal or Eric or the other designers at spyderco had no skill you and me would not have bin on this forum because spyderco would have not bin a successful business then. )

Now like i said in my OG post i am definitely not saying the LW are bad knives because all Manixes are incredibly great knives. My only problem with the LW is the fact that if you are a strong enough guy or girl and you put you’re full force on the thing in a cut the handle will “give” and is this a bad thing ?
That is debatable until the end of time…
The Manix will not brake i know that and anybody with a brain knows that but that does not mean that for that price Spyderco could have easily made those tiny internal liners a tiny bit longer so that flex just could not happen. Sure it would cost them a gram or 2 in weight but it would have made the design so much more comforting in the mind department.

With what you say about there being so many heavier designs i must disagree. Yes they are a good number but all of those are in the meantime older designs. And eventough i still need to try a few i would love some more new variations hit the market. But like the fans of LW’s we also want something new once in awhile… ( And that can even be a variation like a g10 in spy-27 for example )
Spyderco has done almost exclusively LW variants for more the last of couple years now. And sorry but the stretch you mention is a sprint run and those do not count since they are made in such low numbers these days that they even do not reach Europe anymore… Look at the 15 v at the moment. They made Probably 4 or 5 pieces per dealer while there are a thousand fans scouting the sites day and night so i do not find those counting as new offerings anymore since almost no one will ever have them.

Thanks for the reply, my friend, you´re making some good points indeed.

- I don´t know how much of a sales volume Spyderco has to make with a knife in order to ammortize molds, but I guess you must be right that in case of the Manix LW the molds must have paid off already - it sells so well, that otherwise probably almost no LW model would make sense economically speaking.

- I am also certain that you are right in assuming that G10 and liners is clearly more expensive than "just" FRCP - but in relation to the price of the knife, I am not sure if that matters a lot (?) - lets say the G10 model costs $ 150, the G10 and liner steel used for it $ 4; The FRCP model on the other hand costs lets say $ 120, the FRCP material $ 0.50. The handle material costs of the G10 model would be 8 times higher, but absolutely speaking that would not make that much of a difference (this is just a completely fictional guess, I have no idea of the real costs and also assume that it takes more labor time to make a linered G10 model than a linerless FRCP one).

- "Give" in the handle: Nothing I ever noticed on my LW Manixes, even in "hard cutting", and I think I am a pretty strong guy, especially in the hands (mainly from climbing, some dumbbell training and so on). But if I´d focus in feeling flex I´d probably could, so if you want the most rigidity the G10 linered Manix is certainly the way to go.

- "Many heavier designs": I guess this is probably a bit subjective and depends on how one is defining "heavy": For me for example the Shaman, the Caribbean, the Rock Jumper, the Endela, perhaps the new Millie 2 (don´t know about the amount of liners the G10 handle will have) are though not "heavy", still not lightweights by having liners and strong handle slabs - and all are somewhat newer designs.
But you are right: There definitely seems to be a trend toward lighter Spydies.

- I am pretty sure the G10 / Cruwear Stretch is regular production?
Thx Wartstein i really appreciate you taking the time to discuss with me.

Its indeed difficult to say how much production costs exactly. But since i have seen how fast and in how great of numbers , machines can make stuff like the frcp scales in such molds i think it safe to say the LW really save allot of time in comparison to the time it needs to make g10 scales and steel liners.
And since i hope and i think Sal pays his workforce well man hours will probably be the biggest part of a knife its price. So in a way i just find it a bit off a let down seeing what for me personally is a small price gap in comparison to the difference in build.

Like Ramorade said if you take a lw fit and finish its made very well but the smoothness and acts of detail are so much higher on the g10 , all of my g10’s drop shut of smoothness and the locks operate all smooth aswel also none of them have a sharp corners anywhere while 2 off my 3 Lw’s have some less comfortable spots on some part of the frcp i needed to sand a bit down and none of them can be called smooth action neither the blade nor the lock. I do find it a big improvement when all of them turn in to screw construction that way they can be improved without the fear of needing to destroy parts of it. ( i know its possible with the correct tools but if you do not have them its another story )

For the flex thing it could perhaps be how i hold my grip since it can be somewhat different since i am a lefty?
Also i need to say my Lw’s are all older so i do not know if they changed anything to the molds across the years to make it feel more sturdy per haps but since i feel it in the 3 i have i am not looking to buy a 4th one soon.

Fun you mentioned the difference of heavy vs more mid weight knives. In this point in time i stopped doing that personally because to many members call everything heavy from the moment it has g10.
So i call everything like the pm2 , shaman , … heavy on this forum because they all are above the weight the ultra light guys start finding to much.
So when i say i want more heavy designs i mean everything that is not frn and linerless. And when i browse true the catalog its like the last couple of years almost nothing new came out and the only things called new are basically all Steel variants but those for the vast majority are always in the frn LW builds so it feels like there isnt much to look out for anymore and since the sprints are now becoming a let down because of the way to low numbers made its like wanting a drop of water while crossing the desert at times. And i hope this will change a bit soon.

By the way i hope you are correct and i mis read that the g10 cruwear stretch is a sprint.
It would be a very welcome main production for me since i like the straight spine but never liked the old stretch. But that one also has still not shown itself in europe yet. Its a dry wasteland out here for a spydercofanatic. I just caved in today and bought the last shaman of my local dealer ( a very rare find ) so i gave up on the 15v. To make up for it i will probably buy a normal g10 manix later on and customize it so i can make Ladybug jealous again. :cheap-sunglasses

Thx for the nice conversation i really appreciate it!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Gernot, do not reply to that and quote it...it will take up the entire page.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:47 pm
Gernot, do not reply to that and quote it...it will take up the entire page.

I won´t! ;)

And as you can see: I deleted four posts already anyway in my reply (to which Apollo replied now again) to shorten the text.
Should I feel to reply once more, I´ll delete as much as possible again!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

😂 y'all are awesome! It is like a family here. We know each other too well.

I am curious about the blade change out. I have considered switching out my LW for some titanium. Would love to know if anyone has tried it. I would assume you would need a hardware kit.

And yes, the Cruwear Stretch is regular production. Which is great news!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, you're right Jeff!! We sure have a family vibe around here. Heck, I feel like I know some of you people more than some of my actual family members!

Carry on fellas!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 pm

I am curious about the blade change out. I have considered switching out my LW for some titanium. Would love to know if anyone has tried it. I would assume you would need a hardware kit.

I've used my Maxamet blade in both standard G10/liners and the RSD liner delete titanium scales. No issues whatsoever, in either setup.

You'll need the "backspacer" from a G10 model, as the one in the LW is different.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Giygas wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:13 pm
JSumm wrote:

I've used my Maxamet blade in both standard G10/liners and the RSD liner delete titanium scales. No issues whatsoever, in either setup.

You'll need the "backspacer" from a G10 model, as the one in the LW is different.
Awesome thanks for the reply. That is good news. That is kinda what I thought. I'll probably keep holding out for a G10 model I like or a great deal on a standard G10 to do the swap. Thank you!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Giygas wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:13 pm
JSumm wrote:

this is all good info!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

No, the blades for the Manix 2 LW and G10 versions are NOT ALL UNIVERSALLY INTERCHANGEABLE. As blade geometries are sometimes different.

There are some blades from a G10 versions installed into a unconverted LW that absolutely DO NOT FIT.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Just a note from someone who has worked in polymers process engineering:

y'all are forgetting that injection molding machines draw a *lot* of power, which surely factors into costs as well.