CPM SPY 27 Long Term Use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WyoJon

CPM SPY 27 Long Term Use

Post by WyoJon »

Now that CPM SPY 27 has been out a couple years, I want to hear some feed back from people who daily carry this knife. I have read all of the reports of tests on the stock of this steel, I do not want to hear about those. I am not interested in hearing about the price of this steel vs other steels. I do not want to hear what it "looks like it should be based off of ingredients". I also do not want to hear whether it is worth it or not. All of the threads I can find on this are speculation, should bes, and mechanical tests on steel blanks. I want a solid thread of actual results people can use to make an informed decision about the performance of the steel, not a biased opinion based on comparing values or what a person who read the formula thinks it should be like.

What I do want to hear, is people who have carried this knife steel consistantly, and are proficient at sharpening knives. If you dont sharpen your carry knife atleast once in a month, your not the group I am wanting feed back from.

So for those of you who have this steel, carry it, use it for work, and keep it sharp and clean, what has your experience been like?
z1r

Re: CPM SPY 27 Long Term Use

Post by z1r »

Personally, I love Spy27. I do not EDC my PM2 but I do carry it frequently. I love how easy it is for me to get to a keen edge and feel that edge retention is pretty good. I got my BIL a SPy27 Mule and he does EDC his. He loves it but does not sharpen, he stops in at the SFO to have them touch it up periodically.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I have a knife on order in it. I am shocked at the lack of information and reviews of it online. Seems like a couple other steels are over shadowing it. I think people need to stop and realize with all the great steels spyderco has at their disposal, if they stop and take the time to design one with their name on it, that is going to be a great steel.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the lack of info is probably most related to the cost vs supposed properties keeping people away combined with the fact that they are production knives being released during a swirling storm of exclusives and sprints over the same time period. people can only afford so much, and even if they buy it, they might not carry it often because they also bought something in a steel with greater edge retention or corrosion resistance, etc.

as far as answering your original question, i can't. i don't have any spy27 yet. waiting for it to be put in the right model. if the manix lw wasn't coming out in magnacut, i would've probably bought a spy27 manix lw as soon as they got screws.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:58 pm
i think the lack of info is probably most related to the cost vs supposed properties keeping people away combined with the fact that they are production knives being released during a swirling storm of exclusives and sprints over the same time period. people can only afford so much, and even if they buy it, they might not carry it often because they also bought something in a steel with greater edge retention or corrosion resistance, etc.

as far as answering your original question, i can't. i don't have any spy27 yet. waiting for it to be put in the right model. if the manix lw wasn't coming out in magnacut, i would've probably bought a spy27 manix lw as soon as they got screws.
I think you summed it up perfectly, as well as demonstrated the reason. Since we dont have any idea about spy27, and just assume, we assume its not that radical. I did the same.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I read through that. I try not to revive old threads. Im not interested in machine tests on knife edges. Cutting rope is a cut test, but not an in depth study of daily usage
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It's not radical, but its properties are well-balanced and good, putting it in a position to become a nice base-model steel. I only have one model in SPY 27, and it's the pinned-scale Manix 2 LW. I picked it up for a song several months ago, but haven't used it enough to answer your question. Personally, I prefer the LW to the G-10 models, but I think if Spyderco had chosen G-10 for the first SPY 27 Manix 2, you would see a lot more usage reports. My impression is that more folks like G-10, and consider the linered G-10 model more of a hard-use knife compared to the LW.

Like ladybug said, I'm waiting for the right models. I'm not interested in the PM3, but if I ever do become interested I'll probably choose SPY 27. If a PM2 (non-CO), Military, Chaparral or Stretch 2XL becomes available in SPY 27, it'll be close to an instant purchase. And of course I'll have the new Mule Team as soon as it drops.

Like BBB's thread shows, there's not much not to like.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I have carried and used my para 3 lw quite a bit. I hated it at first because I wasn’t impressed with the edge stability. I like 15 dps edges. I was having a lot of rolling and edge deformation at that edge angle. I increased the edge angle to 17 degrees per side and everything changed. I love it at 17. Edge stability is good. Edge retention is probably still not quite as good as s30v. Honestly it didn’t do anything for me that s30v didn’t do better except come on the para 3 lw.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Have a Para 3 LW in SPY27 that I use as a beater but also a Native 5 LW in SPY27. It's in the realm of S30V/S45VN/S35VN in my experience. Sharpens very easily and responds to stropping very very well. Initial hair whittling sharpness off a strop is gone after cutting whatever it is you're cutting with it, but it'll obviously hold a working edge for a good while. Hit it with the strop again and it'll be back to hair whittling very easily. Edge retention I'd put it slightly under S30V just based on my experience with S30V.

My Para 3 in SPY27 I reprofiled to 15dps up to 1200 grit, then 6->3->1 micron strops. If you enjoy sharpening or don't mind sharpening, you'll like the steel a lot. It is a bit pricier than S30V variants of a knife within the same model line (i.e. Native 5 LW in SPY 27 ~$138, S30V ~$120), so I wouldn't really go out of my way to buy the SPY27 version if S30V is also available, but that's just me.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Guts wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:25 pm
Have a Para 3 LW in SPY27 that I use as a beater but also a Native 5 LW in SPY27. It's in the realm of S30V/S45VN/S35VN in my experience. Sharpens very easily and responds to stropping very very well. Initial hair whittling sharpness off a strop is gone after cutting whatever it is you're cutting with it, but it'll obviously hold a working edge for a good while. Hit it with the strop again and it'll be back to hair whittling very easily. Edge retention I'd put it slightly under S30V just based on my experience with S30V.

My Para 3 in SPY27 I reprofiled to 15dps up to 1200 grit, then 6->3->1 micron strops. If you enjoy sharpening or don't mind sharpening, you'll like the steel a lot. It is a bit pricier than S30V variants of a knife within the same model line (i.e. Native 5 LW in SPY 27 ~$138, S30V ~$120), so I wouldn't really go out of my way to buy the SPY27 version if S30V is also available, but that's just me.
Excellent feed back thank you. To me sharpening is a big deal. Any steel will deform the edge when a bone or anything else hard is hit while cutting.

Its entirely possible spyderco was looking for a solid baseline steel, not a cutting edge odball. For having it in house, that would make more sense for the steel to be one relevant to the most knives and the most users. With all of the sprint runs they do in specialty steels, it would take away from it. Also takes away a lot of manufacturing issues, such as supply, who gets priority, variances, etc.
Last edited by WyoJon on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:21 pm
I have carried and used my para 3 lw quite a bit. I hated it at first because I wasn’t impressed with the edge stability. I like 15 dps edges. I was having a lot of rolling and edge deformation at that edge angle. I increased the edge angle to 17 degrees per side and everything changed. I love it at 17. Edge stability is good. Edge retention is probably still not quite as good as s30v. Honestly it didn’t do anything for me that s30v didn’t do better except come on the para 3 lw.
This is some excellent information. I suspect as we learn how to use this steel, we will find it to be better. For what its worth, Sal says 20 degrees is the optimal angle for edges.

A lot of people out there like to say its similar in composition to s35v. I disagree. There are several other elements added, and a couple removed. That makes a pretty big difference. A few points here and there is a drastic change in the mixing of alloys.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

WyoJon wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:34 pm
...I want a solid thread of actual results people can use to make an informed decision about the performance of the steel...What I do want to hear, is people who have carried this knife steel consistantly...

So what you are asking for is anecdotes?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I to am curiouse for the steel but as long as i can not find it in a g10 variant i do not want to drop the money on it.
So Sal when is the g10 Manix 2 in spy-27 coming?
Last edited by apollo on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

WyoJon wrote:
people who have carried this knife steel consistantly,

My only SPY27 knife is a Mule.
Not a fan of carrying fixed blades. Don't carry it. Sorry.

WyoJon wrote:
and are proficient at sharpening knives.

Yeah, I'm pretty good at that.

WyoJon wrote:
If you dont sharpen your carry knife atleast once in a month,

How can a knife that gets used regularly go a month between sharpenings?
Maybe if you're a warm butter slicer or into frosting cakes.

WyoJon wrote:
use it for work,

Use it for... work?
Like in... job?
Yeah, nah.
Had one, was good at it, decided it's not for me.

But if you're interested in my SPY27 experience, even though I don't meet the criteria of an approved judge, I'll tell you that I'm pleased with my SPY27 experience. The knife is now a dedicated kitchen knife. I choose it for most of my work, despite the Mule not being the perfect shape for most culinary work. Today it handled a fluffy English muffin and a banana for breakfast. For dinner it was used to prepare a couple artichokes. Although it's poor form to use a kitchen knife for anything else, I often use it for opening mail or packages. Sure, it might degrade the edge more quickly, but that just gives me another excuse to sharpen. Overall, I'm happy with this knife in the roll that it serves.

When I first built the knife, I used it a bit in the garage and yard. I found that the SPY27 didn't maintain an edge as well as my tool steel blades such as REX45 or K390, but it deformed less than S30V or VG-10. I see that others' experience has been the opposite. Maybe the blade geometry would account for the difference, or maybe my judgement was clouded by "new knife stoke."

I've found the steel pretty easy to sharpen. I use diamond matrix stones almost exclusively. I've sharpened it anywhere from 160 micron down to sub-micron. Realistically, 20-40 micron leaves an edge that is very usable.

What SPY27 knife are you looking to buy?

Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I have it on my p3 lightweight. I'm not a fan of the design of the model itself. To me spy27 behaves more in line with what I look for in kitchen knives vs general utility work. Id compare it more to vg10 in terms of what it feels like in sharpening. It's a user friendly kind of steel so it does have its place. In my recent edge retention testing spy27 was more than double h1 and more than chris reeve s45vn. It's not a bad steel. However I think s45vn is more value for the price. And put on more models id put thru harder paces. The p3 lightweight is a good summer carry kind of knife imo. If I wasn't edge retention testing I'd be putting more of a push cutting edge on the steel. And enjoy it for being different than the other steels I embrace slicing aggression with.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:30 am
WyoJon wrote:
people who have carried this knife steel consistantly,
When I first built the knife, I used it a bit in the garage and yard. I found that the SPY27 didn't maintain an edge as well as my tool steel blades such as REX45 or K390, but it deformed less than S30V or VG-10. I see that others' experience has been the opposite. Maybe the blade geometry would account for the difference, or maybe my judgement was clouded by "new knife stoke."

I've found the steel pretty easy to sharpen. I use diamond matrix stones almost exclusively. I've sharpened it anywhere from 160 micron down to sub-micron. Realistically, 20-40 micron leaves an edge that is very usable.

What SPY27 knife are you looking to buy?

[/font]
This is some solid information. I appreciate hearing details of a sharpening method contrasting the sharp maker.

There are some people out there who send knives to spyderco when they need to be sharpened. Ive known a few. I try not to alienate too many people with this subject, thats why I gave some leeway and said once a month for the minimum. I sharpen something atleast every 3 days. Use a lot of knives.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’ve carried my spy Manix quite extensively. A few observations…

It’s not an edge retention monster. It’s not meant to be. IIRC, it’s meant to be a particle metallurgy evolution of VG10. That could be ENTIRELY wrong but I feel like I’ve heard it from several independent sources. That being said it holds a better edge than VG10 while stropping back just about as easily.

Secondly, it’s nicely stainless. Before my Caribbean landed, it was my main fishing knife and it has no signs of corrosion yet. That being said, I keep my knives dry. YMMV

Lastly, I prefer it to s30v for the simple fact that it trades a little edge retention for a LOT of user friendliness. It’s easy to sharpen, it’s tough enough for EDC and it’s stainless. Corrosion resistance is the last feature I look for in any steel. I’ll take the stupendous edge aggression of K390 over the stainlessness of S90V all day long. But I did notice it in Spy27 and I know it’s important to a lot of people so I figure it’s worth mentioning.

I’m a tool steel guy. Spy27 was never gonna be my favorite steel for the simple fact that it was developed for perfectly middling EDC uses. But in that realm, it’s a very nice steel. It’s just about the mostly pleasantly balanced stainless I own. That’s probably the best descriptor for it: pleasantly balanced
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

WyoJon wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:06 pm
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:21 pm
This is some excellent information. I suspect as we learn how to use this steel, we will find it to be better. For what its worth, Sal says 20 degrees is the optimal angle for edges.

A lot of people out there like to say its similar in composition to s35v. I disagree. There are several other elements added, and a couple removed. That makes a pretty big difference. A few points here and there is a drastic change in the mixing of alloys.
I can do 20 degrees per side if the geometry is thin enough. Most Spydercos I have had after a few sharpening sessions at 20 degrees cut like a brick because they start getting pretty thick behind the edge. 15 cuts so much better as long as the steel will support it.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Sal does say in the sharp maker video every 10 times of sharpening to go back to the 30 deg side and clean up the prinary bevel. Then fo back go sharpening on 40. So he seems to be on the same page as you there.