Skinny Shaman Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Skinny Shaman Scales

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Does anyone have any experience using skinny scales on a Shaman ? Do you prefer them over standard size scales in hand ? Thank you , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Zipper

Re: Skinny Shaman Scales

Post by Zipper »

Sorry MG2, no personal experience.
I did stumble on a YouTube review recently when I was looking around for skinny scales for the Para3. Somehow the rabbit hole led me to a review on Fireside Company skinny scales for the Shaman. I recall the reviewer saying in the comment section after a while the scales made the knife feel boxy.
I like the standard Shaman scales, so lost interest after that.
Found the review - https://youtu.be/q7nEB67T1qM
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I like frn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Zipper wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:42 am
Sorry MG2, no personal experience.
I did stumble on a YouTube review recently when I was looking around for skinny scales for the Para3. Somehow the rabbit hole led me to a review on Fireside Company skinny scales for the Shaman. I recall the reviewer saying in the comment section after a while the scales made the knife feel boxy.
I like the standard Shaman scales, so lost interest after that.
Found the review - https://youtu.be/q7nEB67T1qM
Yes I am am familiar with Fireside . I do like the standard G10 except feels slippery, the shape of scales are exceptionally well done . I am waiting for a new drop from RGT but not sure what scale type I will order . Thank you for taking time to respond. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I have some Cerberus Shaman Skinny Canvas Micarta with Micromill Pattern scales on my Shaman. I really like these the stock G10 Shaman scales are to smooth feeling. These milled pattern in the Cerberus scales are gripy yet have a soft Micarta feel. The skinny shape feels good in hand. That said the knife mostly cuts tape, paper and cardboard. For me these scales make for a better feeling and looking knife
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm
I have some Cerberus Shaman Skinny Canvas Micarta with Micromill Pattern scales on my Shaman. I really like these the stock G10 Shaman scales are to smooth feeling. These milled pattern in the Cerberus scales are gripy yet have a soft Micarta feel. The skinny shape feels good in hand. That said the knife mostly cuts tape, paper and cardboard. For me these scales make for a better feeling and looking knife
Thank you for comments . I am getting close , waiting for a reply and may be ordering soon . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I had skinny micarta scales by RC Bladeworks on my Shaman once. Didn't like how the skinny scale virtually eliminated the hump that "locks" the rounded Shaman scales to my hand. I think it is less secure in the hand and it feels like the Shaman could slip out if enough force is applied to cutting tasks. Took it out and replaced it with stock, never used it again.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet