Centofante 3 vs Chaparral BTE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
petz462

Centofante 3 vs Chaparral BTE

Post by petz462 »

What is the BTE thickness of the Centofante 3 vs Chaparral? Yes, I know they have different grinds, but still would like to know. Thanks!
Dave
USAF Retired
Matus

Re: Centofante 3 vs Chaparral BTE

Post by Matus »

My Chaparral is not noticeably thinner than my other Spyderco 'normal' knives. Thin stock does not imply thin edge.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

If you're just looking for the thinnest BTE Spyderco folder, it's probably gonna be one you wouldn't expect.

The thinnest I've personally found is my Hundred Pacer. It's .012" BTE for a good portion of the blade.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Matus and Giygas,
thanks for your replies.

I have a hollow grind fixed blade by a young custom maker, Chase Boatright, that I really like, it's his Hunter model. It's in Nitro V and is a deer skinning machine. Therefore was looking for a hollow grind folder by Spyderco since I like the grind so much. Was leaning toward the Centofante, but was wondering about the Chaparral with it's thin bladestock as well even though it's not HG. Interesting to hear about the Hundred Pacer, too bad it's disco'd. Likely the upcoming Performance Delica is another player.

Cheers, Dave
Dave
USAF Retired
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Giygas wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:19 am
If you're just looking for the thinnest BTE Spyderco folder, it's probably gonna be one you wouldn't expect.

The thinnest I've personally found is my Hundred Pacer. It's .012" BTE for a good portion of the blade.
Oh? Another one for my BOLO list.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Well mine are 0.018 for the Chaparral LW and 0.024 for the Centofante 3. Honestly error of measurement could account for the 0.006 variance. Neither have been sharpened excessively.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:24 pm
Well mine are 0.018 for the Chaparral LW and 0.024 for the Centofante 3. Honestly error of measurement could account for the 0.006 variance. Neither have been sharpened excessively.
Thanks Bemo. Good info. I always heard the Chap was pretty slicey but I imagine it's hard to tell much difference between the two in practical use...what's your perspective on that?
Dave
USAF Retired
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

petz462 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:47 pm
Bemo wrote:
Thanks Bemo. Good info. I always heard the Chap was pretty slicey but I imagine it's hard to tell much difference between the two in practical use...what's your perspective on that?
I think your instinct is correct in that it's hard to tell the difference in use for me. Both knives have thinner blade stock than the average Spydie so you'd expect great cutting ability given that geometry rules. The Centofante has a more comfortable handle and is an underappreciated design. I really want the Centofante 4 to make a return. With that thin hollow grind Wharnie blade it would cut like a light saber.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:59 pm
petz462 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:47 pm
Bemo wrote:
I think your instinct is correct in that it's hard to tell the difference in use for me. Both knives have thinner blade stock than the average Spydie so you'd expect great cutting ability given that geometry rules. The Centofante has a more comfortable handle and is an underappreciated design. I really want the Centofante 4 to make a return. With that thin hollow grind Wharnie blade it would cut like a light saber.
:clapping-hands :crossed-fingers
Dave
USAF Retired