Ergos: Stretch vs. PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp24/7

Ergos: Stretch vs. PM2

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’ve got a PM2 and while I like the blade shape, in prolonged used, it’s just not comfortable. Thinking the Stretch 2 would be a good alternative since the blade does are radiused and that hump towards the rear of the grip isn’t there. I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts.
JRinFL

Re: Ergos: Stretch vs. PM2

Post by JRinFL »

I would choose the Stretch 2 over the PM2 for the reasons you mention, plus it has a back lock which I find to be far more comfortable over the comp lock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:31 pm
I would choose the Stretch 2 over the PM2 for the reasons you mention, plus it has a back lock which I find to be far more comfortable over the comp lock.
Totally agree, Backlock master race checking in
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As the guys before me have said already:
Imo a backlock normally makes for a more ergonomic handle than a comp.lock, especially when grpping the handle harder. The comp.lock cutout can get uncomfortable then, and the closed back of the Stretch vs the open back of the PM2 improves the ergos too.

And obviously chamfered and rounded FRN tends to be more comfortable than more blocky G10
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I've only held the G10 Stretch, not the Stretch 2 XL, but prefered the PM2 because of the more pronounced finger choil.
- Richard
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally I don’t find that lock type effects ergonomics all that much.

It’s going to be difficult for anyone to make recommendations based on your personal preferences.

I find the Stretch to be a comfortable knife in prolonged use. The rear portion of the handle has a much larger arc that I find really comfortable in hand and during use. The thumb ramp jimping causes a hotspot before anything else for me but that goes for all knives I’ve used with thumb ramp jimping.

I would recommend trying the Stretch if you’re interested in it. The Stretch 2 straight spine could be a great alternative to a PM2, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
R100

Post by R100 »

I like them both but the Stretch 2 is more comfortable in use. I have beveled the handles on my PM2s but there is not enough material to make them as contoured as the Stretch 2. Another issue is that the PM2 handle is too short behind the choil for me whereas the Stretch 2 is just long enough.

Two great knives. Irrationally, the PM2 sees more carry. :thinking

Dan
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Consider the radius of the index and middle curves. People with meaty fingers may prefer the Stretch's larger radiuses; people with slender fingers may prefer the PM2's tighter radiuses.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Guts

Post by Guts »

Have both and like both, but grab the PM2 more as I prefer the compression lock. My hands are on the larger side, but don't really prefer one handle either way. If you're a compression lock fan, I might recommend an alternative not mentioned, the Sage 5 LW. Handle design is pretty similar to the Stretch but has a compression lock. Blade is a bit shorter compared to the PM2 though and the front part of the grip isn't as beveled as the Stretch except on the upper grip choil area, however it does have the similar forward sweep to the back of the handle that the Stretch does.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Guts wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm
Have both and like both, but grab the PM2 more as I prefer the compression lock. My hands are on the larger side, but don't really prefer one handle either way. If you're a compression lock fan, I might recommend an alternative not mentioned, the Sage 5 LW. Handle design is pretty similar to the Stretch but has a compression lock. Blade is a bit shorter compared to the PM2 though and the front part of the grip isn't as beveled as the Stretch except on the upper grip choil area, however it does have the similar forward sweep to the back of the handle that the Stretch does.
Thanks, this is really helpful. Have the Sage 5 LW and love it. Ergonomically it’s one of my favorites.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:53 pm
Consider the radius of the index and middle curves. People with meaty fingers may prefer the Stretch's larger radiuses; people with slender fingers may prefer the PM2's tighter radiuses.

I prefer the PM2 for the reason Bolster cited.

It really is best to try both in hand and then decide.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like both. The Stretch is more comfortable, but I still carry the PM2 more because I prefer the compression lock's ease of use.

If you want radiused handles for the PM2, try the superb AWT Agent scales...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Backspacers make handles more comfortable. I think you can pick up backspacers on the aftermarket for the PM2.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

This is a subjective question, but for me it is the Stretch
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I feel like the PM2 offers a bit more of a sure grip for EDC tasks, and the Stretch is a bit comfier for long-term lose. Kind of locked-in vs nimble.

Both are very good. I think I prefer the PM2 most days, but boy howdy is the Stretch a fantastic knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like them both , probably the Stretch a little more . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Personally prefer the stretch ergonomically. It fits and feels like it was made for my hand while in use. The pm2, not quite as much. Both are somewhat similar, but the stretch just fits/feels better. I am thankful for it, too, as I prefer a backlock. But one of the best things about Spyderco is how they make knives that can fit so many varied hands/choices.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:52 pm
As the guys before me have said already:
Imo a backlock normally makes for a more ergonomic handle than a comp.lock, especially when grpping the handle harder. The comp.lock cutout can get uncomfortable then, and the closed back of the Stretch vs the open back of the PM2 improves the ergos too.

And obviously chamfered and rounded FRN tends to be more comfortable than more blocky G10
I feel like I was focussing too much on "comfort" rather than general ergos" in my firsr reply.

Yes, to me the Stretch handle (I know all FRN variants: "1", "2" and "XL") is more comfortable indeed than the PM2s, but that would really only come into play when using the knives "hard" and continuously over a long period of time. In most normal folder use: PM 2 very comfortable too, comp.lock cutout not an issue at all.

Now when it comes to stability in hand and "power transfer": The Stretch to me is very good when using the choil. Gripped behind the choil it is perfect when putting the thumb on the ramp, but when doing more of a hammer grip the handle is a tad thin in the front part and could offer a hair more "meat" under the index finger. Still very,very good, but in such a grip the PM2 feels even more stable in hand to me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I find both to be a bit short behind the choil, but the less pronounced point on the Stretch is less annoying. If I were stuck between these two and size wasn't a concern I'd go with the Stretch XL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have both knives. The PM2 doesn't have enough room for my hand. The Stretch does have enough room. I like the Straight Spine Stretch so much more than the PM2 that there really isn't any comparison. The lock is better, the handle is better, and for me it is better in every way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050