Delica conundrum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopsbreath

Re: Delica conundrum

Post by Hopsbreath »

Thinnest Delica I have is a foliage green handled Damascus. VG-10 core sandwiched between Damascus. Maybe it really does have something to do with laminated steels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:55 am
Thinnest Delica I have is a foliage green handled Damascus. VG-10 core sandwiched between Damascus. Maybe it really does have something to do with laminated steels.

I think my laminated HAP 40 Endura and Stretch are also a tad thinner and probably thinner behind the edge than all their VG10 Siblings I have/had.
Can't check right now though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

WyoJon wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:40 am
What are you wanting this knife to do, specifically, that needs to be thinner than the factory grind?
You’re in a place with a lot of people who want to push the performance.
I can take nice stroll down to the park, or I could run there with an optimized pace.

That’s not everybody on the forum, but a lot of us like to run.

Or you’ll notice some version of a knife cuts better than another and wonder why that is, which I think is actually closer to the purpose of this thread.

If it can cut better, then why not?
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:55 am

Yup. Was trying to formulate a post similar to this, but you did a much better job. We like what we like, and (as far as knives go) there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think the grind of the standard VG-10 Delica is going to change, however. Any thinning will have to be done by hand.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This is a request that can be done at home. If you want a thinner Delica, you’re more than welcome to buy one and modify it yourself. If you don’t have the tools to do it at home, that is not Spydercos fault nor is it their responsibility to do what you want.

I personally think it’s irrational to ask Spyderco to make a production change for something that can be modified at home. In other words, do it yourself.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If the ever-delayed performance Delica ships, we will get real world feed back on popularity and durability. Maybe this quarter?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Hopefully y’all can see these pics. This is the regrind I did. It’s easier to tell in real life that the blade is thinner and the bte is def thinner. There’s a stock Endura bevel to compare
Attachments
8647CAD7-F294-4DDB-8821-CB9D6B406029.jpeg
A966CACB-5929-43A8-BB1E-47062107EAA8.jpeg
54FFE1B7-C4A1-4E5B-B7DD-1CF16AE2EBA6.jpeg
97B635F8-DFDF-4CBC-B359-CA6D7FD016FC.jpeg
D11042C9-CC3B-40CA-817A-9E8F154BE454.jpeg
0418FE6C-6816-44C7-AD90-577EAEB8B8D4.jpeg
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm
Drubieg wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:32 pm
I’d say learn to regrind. I had the same squabbles about what I wanted in a knife and wished they made what I wanted until I just decided I’d do the changes myself. I reground my wharncliffe k390 endela pretty quickly and easily and now it slices like a champ. Reprofiled the blade shape, dyed the scales, and ground the jimping off.. also replaced the frn backspacer with steel and it’s exactly what I want. Worth all the effort.
Sounds cool! I'm especially interested in the steel backspacer. Any pics?

What stones did you use for the regrind? Or belt sander?
The backspacer is from 5x5 combat solutions, and is integral with a deep carry clip. The yurco endela they have is what I basically copied
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I thinned out and mirror polished a FFG Delica as a gift for a fellow blade enthusiast. Everything was done on bench stones by hand. I started on a coarse diamond plate, moved through progressively finer diamond plates, then polished on water stones. It took me a couple hours to complete. This was a VG-10 blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:15 am
If the ever-delayed performance Delica ships, we will get real world feed back on popularity and durability. Maybe this quarter?

In a way yes, the high performance Delica will be in hollow grind, not "thinner ffg".

(Again for the record: I am happy with the (ffg) Delica as it is, but also not opposed to it being even thinner.
And I am looking forward to the hollow grind high performance version.. I am even one of the few (?) who are glad that it will come in easy to sharpen VG10...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:55 am
WyoJon wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:40 am
What are you wanting this knife to do, specifically, that needs to be thinner than the factory grind?
You’re in a place with a lot of people who want to push the performance.
I can take nice stroll down to the park, or I could run there with an optimized pace.

That’s not everybody on the forum, but a lot of us like to run.

Or you’ll notice some version of a knife cuts better than another and wonder why that is, which I think is actually closer to the purpose of this thread.

If you search the original posters extensive post history, he says he really likes how the serrated spyderco edges perform. Those are much thiicker than a delica ffg blade. He also says quite a few times how great of results he has with sharp maker on spyderco knives. I dont see how a tiny bit of steel, requiring a caliper to differentiate, on a ffg blade will make any difference for someone skilled at sharpening who has knowledge of grind angles, finishing polish, convex edges, and other fine points of sharpening performance.

This peaked my interest in what the intent of use for a thinner delica would be. Deffinitely not general edc use or cutting.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I must repeat, I am talking about thickness behind the edge not about thickness of the blade stock. My Mantra1 and my K390 Urban both have a thicker blade stock than the Delica yet they are ground thinner behind the edge… just to give an example. Grinding the blade thinner bte does not necessary mean that you have to thin out the blade stock.It’s all about grinding angle here.

P.S If them Seki guys use CNC, it’s easy peasy but I wouldn’t know…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:46 pm
I must repeat, I am talking about thickness behind the edge not about thickness of the blade stock. My Mantra1 and my K390 Urban both have a thicker blade stock than the Delica yet they are ground thinner behind the edge… just to give an example. Grinding the blade thinner bte does not necessary mean that you have to thin out the blade stock.It’s all about grinding angle here.

P.S If them Seki guys use CNC, it’s easy peasy but I wouldn’t know…
Working in a highly specialized steel manufacturing facility, where I work on calibration and repairs of cnc machines daily, I can assure you cnc machining has been industry standard for decades. Even our specialized machines that are 30 years old are cnc. No way a company manufacturing on any notable scale would make the same parts day in and out on non cnc mills.

I dont think spyderco blades are made on a mill. I did build some machines for a factory a few years ago that did a specialty run of their own knives, that all sold for several times what most spydercos sell for. Most of that cost was just in the expense of setting up the manufacturing line, and training just to do a run of a few thousand folding knives.

Im pretty sure spyderco blades are stamped out from stock and finished on a belt grinder. Could be wrong, but either way, changing a whole production line for one guy that wants a blade a touch thinner is not going to make them any money.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am
This is a request that can be done at home. If you want a thinner Delica, you’re more than welcome to buy one and modify it yourself. If you don’t have the tools to do it at home, that is not Spydercos fault nor is it their responsibility to do what you want.

I personally think it’s irrational to ask Spyderco to make a production change for something that can be modified at home. In other words, do it yourself.
The OP is merely asking the question why it's made the way it is. One could of course argue that's a request in disguise, but it's in no way a blatant request.
Whichever way it is, customer feedback isn't irrational. Some is relevant, some is not, I'm sure Spyderco has the experience to sort out the signal from the noise.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:17 am
Mushroom wrote:

The OP is merely asking the question why it's made the way it is. One could of course argue that's a request in disguise, but it's in no way a blatant request.
Whichever way it is, customer feedback isn't irrational. Some is relevant, some is not, I'm sure Spyderco has the experience to sort out the signal from the noise.
He knows why, he doesn’t want to hear that though.

And for what it’s worth, I did not say customer feedback is irrational. You’re twisting my words, for some reason.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:22 am
aicolainen wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

And for what it’s worth, I did not say customer feedback is irrational. You’re twisting my words, for some reason.
Please try to focus on what I said and on reality instead of drawing your own conclusions from your own suppositions. THE SAME PRODUCT has some variants with different thickness behind the edge but the same blade stock. I could give you many examples. Does that mean that they did a PRODUCTION CHANGE (or that I requested that) ? NO ! What part did you not understand ? All they have to do is to grind the blade to a different angle !!! We are talking a fraction of a degree here. They ALLREADY did it even with the Delica ! Is it clear now ? I am a 62 aged retired mechanical engineer and I designed technologies for the military industriy, among others. BTW I designed my first programs for CNC about 34 years ago, so .... I allready admited that they ground some of the blades (within the same product) thinner behind the edge, based on the toughness of the steel, just to give an example(or the supposed edge stability in use). It's their decision but that doesn't mean that it can't be done unless they change the production line. Enough said. I'm out.
Last edited by elena86 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am
Mushroom wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Please try to focus on what I said and on reality instead of drawing your own conclusions from your own suppositions. THE SAME PRODUCT has some variants with different thickness behind the edge but the same blade stock. I could give you many examples. Does that mean that they did a PRODUCTION CHANGE (or that I requested that) ? NO ! What part did you not understand ? All they have to do is to grind the blade to a different angle !!! They ALLREADY did it with the Delica ! Is it clear now ? I am a 62 aged retired mechanical engineer and I designed technologies for the military industriy, among others. BTW I designed my first programs for CNC about 34 years ago, so .... I allready admited that they ground some of the blades ( within the same product ) thinner behind the edge, based on the toughness of the steel, just to give an example( or the supposed edge stability in use). It's their decision but that doesn't mean that it can't be done unless they change the production line. Enough said. I'm out.
Warranty issues.

Like I said, if you find the Delica you got to be too thick behind the edge, feel free to regrind it to your desired standards. As it came though, it will cut things just fine.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 am
elena86 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

Please try to focus on what I said and on reality instead of drawing your own conclusions from your own suppositions. THE SAME PRODUCT has some variants with different thickness behind the edge but the same blade stock. I could give you many examples. Does that mean that they did a PRODUCTION CHANGE (or that I requested that) ? NO ! What part did you not understand ? All they have to do is to grind the blade to a different angle !!! They ALLREADY did it with the Delica ! Is it clear now ? I am a 62 aged retired mechanical engineer and I designed technologies for the military industriy, among others. BTW I designed my first programs for CNC about 34 years ago, so .... I allready admited that they ground some of the blades ( within the same product ) thinner behind the edge, based on the toughness of the steel, just to give an example( or the supposed edge stability in use). It's their decision but that doesn't mean that it can't be done unless they change the production line. Enough said. I'm out.
Warranty issues.

Like I said, if you find the Delica you got to be too thick behind the edge, feel free to regrind it to your desired standards. As it came though, it will cut things just fine.
Only my VG10 Delicas are thicker bte that they need to be IMO. I was not asking 0.0010'' or less bte. I would be very happy with around 0.018'' bte and even VG10 would offer enough edge stability for that. I am very happy with my K390 Delica, with my ZDP189 Delica not to mention my HAP40 laminated Delica so I am covered to say so. Now, I am really out.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

elena86 wrote:
They ALLREADY did it even with the Delica ! Is it clear now ? I am a 62 aged retired mechanical engineer and I designed technologies for the military industriy, among others. BTW I designed my first programs for CNC about 34 years ago, so .... I allready admited that they ground some of the blades (within the same product) thinner behind the edge, based on the toughness of the steel, just to give an example(or the supposed edge stability in use). It's their decision but that doesn't mean that it can't be done unless they change the production line. Enough said. I'm out.
During my working life, I engaged with many engineers. I first thought they were a capable but arrogant bunch. Later I came to understand that they had a low tolerance for high tolerance.

Is that you, Marius?

I suspect we’re differing in what is “high tolerance”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 am
elena86 wrote:
They ALLREADY did it even with the Delica ! Is it clear now ? I am a 62 aged retired mechanical engineer and I designed technologies for the military industriy, among others. BTW I designed my first programs for CNC about 34 years ago, so .... I allready admited that they ground some of the blades (within the same product) thinner behind the edge, based on the toughness of the steel, just to give an example(or the supposed edge stability in use). It's their decision but that doesn't mean that it can't be done unless they change the production line. Enough said. I'm out.
During my working life, I engaged with many engineers. I first thought they were a capable but arrogant bunch. Later I came to understand that they had a low tolerance for high tolerance.

Is that you, Marius?

I suspect we’re differing in what is “high tolerance”.
Ive found a few far between ones are capable. A lot of them are just office posers with another 4 year degree.