SMKW and Spyderco Shot Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: SMKW and Spyderco Shot Show

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the bowie clip point a lot. I would not want that short fuller, however. I also prefer the shorter swedge. The more coffin style handle would be nice and would likely fix my chief complaint about the PM2 having to short a grip area because of that rounded pommel sticking out and taking up needed room.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Blade definitely needs to go on its own custom handle not a pm2.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:45 pm
I would prefer the removal of the lanyard tube and slim out the butt.
I would buy this version. The other, probably not. I never say never though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I would like it if
1. the fuller went all the way through the most distal aspect of the blade.
2. if the top part of the blade contorted the Spyder hole, similar to the Emerson models (if one deleted the Emerson hook.

This is still an amazing piece as is. I’ll be buying one in whatever steel it’s made with.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

fanglekai wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:25 pm
I think I'd like it better with a longer top swedge and without the fuller. Excuse my horrible Paint skills.

Hard agree here. Much better.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I like it, reminds me of the Tatanka that I foolishly sold. I’ll be picking one up.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It would look pretty sweet without a hole and fuller. Hats off to Spyderco though, they keep it weird and original!
Josh
simyo

Post by simyo »

Oh sweet baby Jesus, get in my pocket. I don’t know if it will get more pocket time than my tanto but it will be nice to see. I’d love to see a harpoon shaped blade on a pm2 as well.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

simyo wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Oh sweet baby Jesus, get in my pocket. I don’t know if it will get more pocket time than my tanto but it will be nice to see. I’d love to see a harpoon shaped blade on a pm2 as well.
Oh man, I would love a harpoon tanto military 2 or harpoon bowie. A high end tool steel would set it off just perfectly!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

If that design actually comes out I think it's going to be one of the most polarizing releases in years. I think it's an abomination but then again I don't like clip points and fullers so take that for what you will.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's definitely going to give more ammo to the critics that constantly complain about spyderco just releasing more variations of the same knife instead of coming up with new designs. i don't usually agree with those complaints, but this one looks like it would've been better as it's own design instead of a pm2 variation, in my opinion.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I just look at it as another PM2 flavor . I do agree with LB if it for example had been revealed in a lockback or complock of different design handle response would be different . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

This and the Wharncliffes are the only PM2s I’m seriously interested in.

I don’t really understand what exactly is so “polarizing” about it, but I guess people have always had a million different ideas about what they think a “Bowie knife” should be like.

I think it would look especially great, and maybe more natural to some, in the CruWear + Micarta pattern with a full length micarta or metal backspacer.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Beefier pm2 version, I'm in. A definite buy for me. I'm very happy with the PM2 tanto. Pm3 tanto will be nice to match, but I gravitate to larger knives.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Freediver wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:15 pm
I like it, reminds me of the Tatanka that I foolishly sold. I’ll be picking one up.
Not a bad comparison in some ways ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Man, I love clip points, trailing points, the whole Bowie thing! But to me this blade's proportions are off. The blade is too tall. Give it a smaller hole and reduce its height. Fullers can look badass, but this one is too high and too short. Move it down nearer the grind line and extend it forward almost to the swedge and backward almost to the hole. Make the fuller narrower. Or eliminate it altogether. Make the blade no thicker than 2.5mm.

I sure like the regular PM2, but not the tanto, and not this one. I doubt I'll buy it. I'll buy a bunch of other ones, though!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:07 pm
ImageOne thing for sure not the first blade with a fuller . I agree it’s not a design for everyone. I’m still curious about it . And like blade variation on a PM2 . Big question what steel is going to be used showed CPMS30V . That may be a deal breaker since already have enough of that steel in the PM2 .
Something tells me that this model would be absolutely awesome in full Spyderedge. Not only that but it appears like it would be an excellent skinner blade for hunters. I've always liked Spyderco models that have "belly" and this one also vaguely reminds me of the Spyderco Chinnook III model.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:50 pm
Man, I love clip points, trailing points, the whole Bowie thing! But to me this blade's proportions are off. The blade is too tall. Give it a smaller hole and reduce its height. Fullers can look badass, but this one is too high and too short. Move it down nearer the grind line and extend it forward almost to the swedge and backward almost to the hole. Make the fuller narrower. Or eliminate it altogether. Make the blade no thicker than 2.5mm.

I sure like the regular PM2, but not the tanto, and not this one. I doubt I'll buy it. I'll buy a bunch of other ones, though!
Aren’t these all part of it being a being a PM2?
That would change the underlying design a lot.

I’m not gonna claim to be a great artist or designer, but I have some experience and I think it’s actually a more balanced look than the original. Same for the Tanto. The regular pm2 is good knife design that looks good to me, but it is visually quite handle heavy.
The fuller on this Bowie and the swedge on the Tanto help this balance.

I think if you’re used to the regular PM2, you’re going to view this differently and it won’t look “right” to you.
Artists often struggle with stuff like this and that is why you’ll see digital artists flip their artwork or traditional artist take a break and walk away or to look at their work from a different perspective.

That’s why I suggested something like micarta handles with a backspacer could change up the look enough to shake that. Maybe a bolster or faux bolster.

In my opinion, Sal and Eric know what they’re doing with blade design. Not saying you’re saying they don’t, but I’m saying something without saying something else.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Edit: there was an error and, in the chaos, I somehow posted the same comment twice.

I guess I’ll take this opportunity to mention that it appears to be a stonewashed blade, except for the fuller. Not sure if that reflects what it’s planned to look like in production.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I agree that the fuller needs to be lengthened. Wouldn't this be the first alt shape PM2 that isn't a dealer exclusive? Or is it exclusive to SMKW?
We've had BHQ Tanto, CutleryShoppe Wharnie, and BladeOps Wave.