SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:13 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:55 pm
did you try cutting the paper after wiping the edge clean? i imagine all that residue has an felt effect on the edge that might not be real degradation.
I did yeah, it's cleaned off in that pic with the envelope. The edge was really gluey though.
my bad. i should've looked closer.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:33 pm
.....The edge is too dull to slice even an envelope but it was still zipping through boxes pretty much

That's really one of the "beauties of SE": Still just works for separating stuff even when the actual edge is pretty dull already.

And let's be honest: In many tasks (cutting up boxes included) it's really not about the surgical cleanest cut, but really just about separating and breaking down matter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:29 am
A little update in the Evil D universe. .....
I'm falling back in love with the Native and even the size of the knife. I have a feeling that my Rock Jumper may be the perfect knife for me and this kind of work but I'll keep using the Native for now.

Congrats, David! :clinking-mugs
Sounds good!

/ On the Native for that kind of work (breaking down lots of cardboard):

- Tbh, I really find a longer edge better suited here: i feel like I can work more efficiently with more edge, don't "run out of edge before I run out of material", can better "draw" and less "push" the knife through the cardboard, and, of course, the longer edge will also stay sharp longer just because the "work is distributed on more edge"...

- Also: How do you find the Native in hand in "harder" cutting? I always found it very comfy in light tasks , but when really using it harder, it began to feel a bit unstable and less locked in than most other Spydies (including small ones like the Chap). I always use the choil on the Native 5 btw.
Probably just not the perfect fit with my particular "hand geometry".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Nice Stuff!
My SE Rockjumper carves through cardboard boxes. Geometry is definitely more important there than steel, in my opinion (however I would jump on a MagnaCut, K390, etc. version for that boost in performance elsewhere).

The only knife I have that’s better is my Rescue ClipitTool, but mine is a Frankenstein’s monster of a knife that’s for another topic. Although, I do highly recommend getting one, just to try the blade.
One of Spyderco’s best SpyderEdges, at least for slicing EDC stuff.

The Rockjumper’s handle is more comfortable, for prolonged use. It’s role in my uses is very generalized, but because I will also push it into more specialized ones, like climbing, I’m more inclined to use the ClipiTool and save its edge.

I’ve come to like my Spy27 Native more than I anticipated, but I do still prefer longer blades and no choils. My Spy27 Mule quickly became a favorite and has also taken on quite a character.

My LC200N knives aren’t really going see much cardboard, but the Caribbean, UKPK, and Siren are all good options with pros and cons, for me.
They do well with cardboard, but I keep those knives crisp for their more specific niches.

Testimonies like this thread make me really eager to try MagnaCut and see where it’s performance will lie in my own knife “ecosystem”. I suspect it’s perfect for the RockJumper role. Generalist, but able to reasonably exploit the specialized areas like Salts or cardboard slaying.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:55 am
Evil D wrote:
A little update in the Evil D universe. .....
I'm falling back in love with the Native and even the size of the knife. I have a feeling that my Rock Jumper may be the perfect knife for me and this kind of work but I'll keep using the Native for now.

Congrats, David! :clinking-mugs
Sounds good!

/ On the Native for that kind of work (breaking down lots of cardboard):

- Tbh, I really find a longer edge better suited here: i feel like I can work more efficiently with more edge, don't "run out of edge before I run out of material", can better "draw" and less "push" the knife through the cardboard, and, of course, the longer edge will also stay sharp longer just because the "work is distributed on more edge"...

- Also: How do you find the Native in hand in "harder" cutting? I always found it very comfy in light tasks , but when really using it harder, it began to feel a bit unstable and less locked in than most other Spydies (including small ones like the Chap). I always use the choil on the Native 5 btw.
Probably just not the perfect fit with my particular "hand geometry".

I always use the choil, but I also tend to put my middle finger in the choil and my index and thumb on the blade. When I was a kid I worked in a little grocery store in my home town and I was taught how to hold a box knife in a similar way to case-cut boxes of canned food and I tend to use this grip a lot when opening boxes.

And then I use what I guess falled under a Filipino grip for a lot of other cuts, at least until my thumb gets in the way, then I switch to a hammer fist grip. This is why I really like knives without thumb ramps, because I have more freedom to choose where to put my thumb and on small knives like this I don't feel as cramped. Compared to a Dragonfly or Para 3 this is way more comfortable for me.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:03 am

Testimonies like this thread make me really eager to try MagnaCut and see where it’s performance will lie in my own knife “ecosystem”. I suspect it’s perfect for the RockJumper role. Generalist, but able to reasonably exploit the specialized areas like Salts or cardboard slaying.

MagnaCut is eventually going to hit the "eh" for all of the people out there to prioritize edge retention above all else. It seems like people don't appreciate the Jack of all trades steels as much as high wear resistant steels but they've become my favorite category. MagnaCut is just "magnificently adequate", it doesn't really do anything the absolute best of any steel but it does pretty much everything better than average. I keep talking about how the knife community needs to start talking more about how steels dull, I think there's a lot to appreciate there and this steel just wears down so well and sharpens back up so easily. I have only seen edge damage in the harder/stupid things I've cut and no rolling or chipping from regular EDC stuff and that's a really undervalued steel quality because it makes life so much easier and even more enjoyable when it comes time to sharpen. I think if more people used steels like this they would 1) be more willing to really use the heck out of their knives and 2) be less afraid of sharpening. A guy who puts tons of time and effort into putting the perfect edge on Maxamet might be hesitant to go out and wreck it and chip it up because of the extra effort it may take to fix, but so far I haven't felt any of that with either of the MagnaCut knives I've been using.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yesterday I came across one of these stapled boxes...

And I wondered what would happen if I just didn't notice the staples and tried to cut the box open like normal so I went for it 🤷🏼‍♂️

At first I was really impressed with how the edge handled that, all I could see were some shiny spots along the edge. I didn't get a chance to try to take good clear shots until I got home.

Then I noticed this little fella

That one is going to take a few sharpenings to see it honed out but the rest of the edge sharpened back up like normal. I think that tooth chip is in part due to the fact that these serrations have not rounded off the same way other SE knives do, and I can only assume it just has to do with the geometry that they were ground at. I've sharpened this knife on my diamond rods several times now and the teeth are still quite sharp. Maybe they'd round off more if I used the 40 slots?

Regardless, MagnaCut is not impervious to damage, and in serrations I really don't think a steel exists that isn't but overall I'm very impressed with how well it handles abuse. I think overall the toughness is at least on par with H1 and LC200N if not better.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow, what a good thread. Thanks David!
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

“Hunny I dulled the edge”

I estimate about 2000 inches of cardboard.

The edge was still able to cut through thin paper with no issue after cardboard cutting. The scallops have a little difficult, but nothing as noticeable and as fatigued and cramped as my wrist.

Choking up and putting all my weight on my thumb made this work much easier.
Attachments
BD3D1B67-9BE6-4DB4-948B-599C93A4B93A.jpeg
1BCDB2C6-7630-4AC6-AB4D-FDACB58C26CF.jpeg
796FE0D5-4637-4379-BD9B-C2B3B9A6F12A.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
A little update in the Evil D universe. After 7 years I decided I'd had enough of the towing industry (also a higher paying job offer didn't hurt) so I'm now back with the company I worked for about 18 years ago when I bought my very first Spyderco, which is a corrugation plant (aka makes boxes).
Congrats on the new and safer job! May your knife always be sharp enough to cut your way out of a box!

MNOSD 0009
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 am
“Hunny I dulled the edge”

I estimate about 2000 inches of cardboard.

The edge was still able to cut through thin paper with no issue after cardboard cutting. The scallops have a little difficult, but nothing as noticeable and as fatigued and cramped as my wrist.

Choking up and putting all my weight on my thumb made this work much easier.
👍🏻

^^^ That’s the thing with the Natives ^^^

You can get way up on the blade and still have a safe grip. Same thing for the other grips. Great knife for getting stuff done.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This morning I cut a bunch of banding straps...

One at a time was pretty insignificant so I decided to fold them over and cut them all again...

The blade was almost too short but did make the cut. One reason I like a longer cutting edge is because for something like this you end up needing to make a push cut or the edge will slip off and require a follow-up cut, but with longer edges there is room for slicing motion and those two cuts can usually be made in one. It's something I don't find myself needing to do everyday but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I find some really weird uses for knives sometimes.

This week I've been trying to sort through a 30 year old collection of bearings in this stockroom. I've been sorting them out onto folding tables and I knew eventually I'd find their working load limit and this morning I sure did.

So now I have a broke 8 foot long table and it will no longer fold, I've gotta get it down two flights of stairs and didn't want the legs flopping around so I figured some zip ties were in order, but I wasn't happy with any way I could see to put them on so why not stab out a solution.

I think the Native 5 hits a sweet spot between being a good slicer and being stout enough to lean on. This wasn't exactly hard use but I definitely wouldn't have tried it with every knife. Once the hole started, the edge sliced through and made each cut, and it cut like butter. A thinner blade would definitely have less resistance but at some point would also be weaker so it's a balance. I made 4 holes like that and the edge doesn't seem effected at all and no blade play or anything else like that. I've been thinking about getting the MagnaCut UKPK but I don't think I'd feel as safe doing stuff like this without a lock, and while it may not be an everyday necessity, this goes to show you never know what you might use your knife for.
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

MagnaCut is just "magnificently adequate"

I like that. David, amongst your many talents you are also a wordsmith. :winking-tongue
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:09 am
MagnaCut is just "magnificently adequate"

I like that. David, amongst your many talents you are also a wordsmith. :winking-tongue
I agree. That was an artful turn of phrase.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Had a full week fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, 2 wks ago. Cut up a bit of bait and everything else needed to cut on vacation. Just sharpened it back up today.

Magnacut and LC200N are on par for not rusting in salt water for my uses… didn’t wash the Magnacut knife out too well. Only shrimp guts seemed to rust the blade (rust that wiped away with soap.)

Enjoying the EvilD ratio of sharpening this knife, 4:1.

For being a guy on a kayak or boat, sometimes the cutting surface is metal or rock… I appreciate LC200N for just rolling.

So far minimal rolling with Magnacut… no chips in my use.

The ease of pocketing the N5 LW, and its handle ergos make this and my LC200N N5 my most carried knife.
Attachments
IMG_4681.jpeg

MNOSD 0009
HotRodGlock

Post by HotRodGlock »

Am I the only one who wants a Salt Chief with SE Magnacut?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear HotRodGlock:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

Just a great all around thread about Magnacut and Spyderedge. Thanks for all of the pics and such detail.

I have a PE Native 5 Salt (Magnacut), and with the recent sales, I picked up the SE one. I think I am going to part ways with my plain edge one after playing around with the SE for a bit and reading posts like this. I have plenty of PE spydies, and even without spending a lot of time on the water, the salt platform is perfect for a serrated knife.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HotRodGlock wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:59 pm
Am I the only one who wants a Salt Chief with SE Magnacut?

Nope, have been asking for SE Chief ever since I first handled one, and getting it in MagnaCut/Salt form would be amazing.
~David