SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeggarSo

Re: SE MagnaCut Testing Thread

Post by BeggarSo »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:19 am
Can't wait for the spyderedge Millie. I hope and pray they grind them as thin as possible bte. I hope Sal reads this !
My thoughts exactly after receiving min in the mail today.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm betting that this "Magnacut" blade steel would have excellent properties ideal for serrated blades. If it would perform anything like Cruwear and XHP then it would be a super high quality material to use.

The jury is still out on many aspects of Magnacut but I've heard good stuff thus far. Because Cruwear seems to be a really top tier blade steel for blades with TEETH. With Spyderco using a broad selection of high end blade steel materials it makes me quite curious as to how it would perform in the field in demanding situations.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:19 pm
I'm betting that this "Magnacut" blade steel would have excellent properties ideal for serrated blades. If it would perform anything like Cruwear and XHP then it would be a super high quality material to use.

The jury is still out on many aspects of Magnacut but I've heard good stuff thus far. Because Cruwear seems to be a really top tier blade steel for blades with TEETH. With Spyderco using a broad selection of high end blade steel materials it makes me quite curious as to how it would perform in the field in demanding situations.
Edit:
Oops, I typed a comment, but I’d gotten logged out which deleted everything and only sent the quote.

Anyway, I’m also excited to try and test more stuff with serrations and will be around to share how it goes.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:19 pm

My experience so far with PE MagnaCut has been great. It's not a miracle steel so there will be people claiming hype, because the demand makes some people think it's the end all beat all steel but we just need to take it for what it is, and for me and my preferences it is awesome. There are certainly better steels for edge retention and all out toughness, but the sweet spot balance that this steel hits while also being almost impervious to rust is exactly what I want for an EDC steel. It has also been an absolute joy to sharpen and reprofile and it takes an amazing edge, which are qualities I'm hoping will transition into SE use.

I'm in the process of reprofiling the PE tip on my Native now. Pics to come.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Reprofiled the tip tonight. I set it up on my Edge Pro but it just didn't feel right trying to work on such a small isolated part of the blade so I used my Sharpmaker and diamond rods.

I like to tape up the rest of the edge with two layers of painter's tape. This keeps me from getting cut because I choke so far up on the blade and it also helps me to not get sloppy and run the first couple serrations along the flat of the rod.

Grinding this steel is very pleasing, it doesn't really burr that much and is very easy to get rid of when it does.

I started out reprofiling it to 30 degrees and got it all the way finished but decided to go a few degrees lower to match the rest of the bevel. This is somewhere around 12 degrees...the battery in my angle cube died half way through because of course it did.

Now the entire edge is sharpening right at the apex on the 30 slots. It does also seems like the last couple serrations are much closer to 15 degrees, it doesn't take much to hit the top shoulder of the bevel if my stroke is even slightly off 90 degrees straight up and down.

Everyone sharpens a brand new knife right?

I needed to cut some Scotchbrite pad to clean my rods so I thought I'd see how the sharpness was. It zipped right through.

For comparison sake and to eliminate as many variables as possible between me and anyone else, I'm only sharpening this knife on the brown rods. No extra stropping or trickery, just straight up Sharpmaker 101 sharpening 4 passes on the grind side and 1 on the back.

Initial impression just from this bit of sharpening has been great. I just love how MagnaCut sharpens, it has been a standout quality I've enjoyed ever since getting the mule. I'm really excited to see how it handles edge damage, and so far it seems like fixing chips will be trivial so if it also does a good job of resisting edge damage it's going to be amazing for serrations.

🤞🤞
~David
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Not quit sure which topic I promised to post factory fresh pictures of this knife on but here they are it is a great knife very slicey right out of the box and like EvilD said the word Magnacut disappears at certain angles.

I changed the edge using the CBN Cats Eye rods on the Gauntlet followed up by the Ceramics, it is very aggressive slicing.

Just broke down a whole cooked chicken, cutting through joints and bones, then cut through the upper neck of a thick plastic Arizona iced tea bottle with ease and slammed the teeth into the cutting board. Several boxes have met their end to this blade as well.

I have had H1 teeth bend doing stuff like this.

So far It is holding up better than LC200N and after letting it sit all day with lemon juice after cutting lemons there is no sign of patina or corrosion comparing this to my Bark River Bravo 1 light in the same steel I think both manufacturers have their heat treatment dialed in spot on for this steel.

:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:06 pm

I changed the edge using the CBN Cats Eye rods on the Gauntlet followed up by the Ceramics, it is very aggressive slicing.

You said you changed the edge, do you think you took a lot of steel off? I've been looking at other pics of this knife and it's starting to look like I got one with a taller serrations grind or maybe a lower angle too. Mine look a lot taller than yours, unless you sharpened a good bit of steel off to make yours look shorter.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely looks like a taller grind, look at the difference where the first serration starts.

~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:47 pm
That is an edge to be proud of. You make me want to order one immediately...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well this is interesting, not really sure what to call this, surely not a patina??

This morning I cut up some pizza and wiped the blade off with a paper towel but it left some residue on the blade. I was in a hurry so I just closed it and put it away. Now about 5 hours later I wipe it off, starting by just licking my fingers and wiping it which got the residue off but seemed to leave a shadow/patina of where it was so I wiped it again with rubbing alcohol but that didn't take it off, so I moved to acetone and even that didn't take it off. Finally I resorted to Flitz and that got rid of it.

I know pizza sauce/tomato based foods are very acidic but I'm not sure I believe this was actual corrosion or patina, but it's so weird that alcohol and acetone wouldn't wipe it off. I think tonight before I go to bed I'm gonna smear some of the same pizza sauce on the blade and leave it out overnight and see what happens.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It might be a biofilm. These can be difficult to remove from surfaces.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:29 am
Well this is interesting, not really sure what to call this, surely not a patina??

This morning I cut up some pizza and wiped the blade off with a paper towel but it left some residue on the blade. I was in a hurry so I just closed it and put it away. Now about 5 hours later I wipe it off, starting by just licking my fingers and wiping it which got the residue off but seemed to leave a shadow/patina of where it was so I wiped it again with rubbing alcohol but that didn't take it off, so I moved to acetone and even that didn't take it off. Finally I resorted to Flitz and that got rid of it.

I know pizza sauce/tomato based foods are very acidic but I'm not sure I believe this was actual corrosion or patina, but it's so weird that alcohol and acetone wouldn't wipe it off. I think tonight before I go to bed I'm gonna smear some of the same pizza sauce on the blade and leave it out overnight and see what happens.

I've had something similar happen after cutting raw carrots. The orange coloring in the carrot, whatever it's called, can stay on a blade, and can sometimes be difficult to remove if not washed off right away, at least in my experience. Seems more common for me with satin-finished blades. It's happened for me on an H1 Salt 1.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tonight I'll smear some sauce on this knife, my MagnaCut Mule just for comparison sake, and something else in H1 and LC200N. should be interesting.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure how hardcore this is but the wife made a (friggin delicious) rotisserie chicken tonight so I took the opportunity to split it with my Native. We do this all the time with our Spyderco Santoku without any edge issues but never tried it with serrations.

I made sure to cut through the sternum...

Not even a shiny spot anywhere on the edge.

I eventually quartered the whole thing but it was falling apart so I pulled one of the bigger thigh bones out and decided to cut through it.

I suspect it only cut about half way through since the edge of the scallop can't make contact with the cutting board because the teeth hit first, so it may have cut part way and then just split.

All said and done the whole edge is still cleanly slicing phone book paper. Again, not sure how big of a deal this is especially with cooked chicken bones but it's one of the first uses I've had.

~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:

i posted about the same experience with my native salt in lc200n after using it to cut up some bbq way back when i got it. nothing came of it though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:48 am
Definitely looks like a taller grind, look at the difference where the first serration starts.

I don't think mine is ground the same as yours either. I checked it today on my SM and @ 15 dps I only hit the shoulder unlike yours where you hit the apex.

I posted this in the other Native Salt thread but I think the primary grind on (at least my) MC blade is more acute than my LC blade as you can see the bevel is significantly wider on the MC and they are both sharpened to 15 dps.

-Turbo
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:21 pm
i posted about the same experience with my native salt in lc200n after using it to cut up some bbq way back when i got it. nothing came of it though.
Noticed this for the first time on my PacSalt LC200N PE, simple sandwich making, mayo/mustard. The best way I can describe it is "shadow staining" and it seemed to go away after a few more washes, or it blended enough that I didn't see it as well. Maybe a metallurgist can shed some light. Would certainly be a fun anecdote if this was something of a defense mechanism unique to salty steels, where it appears to show a stain but what it's actually showing is the blocking of a deeper stain. Sounds dumb. Probably is. But anyway, had the same experience.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

My best guess would be oils from the food impregnating the surface of the steel.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:48 am

Hi,

The pictures are factory fresh just as soon as I took it out of the box.

As for metal removal, very little. What I did was use the edge of the CBN Cats eye rods of the Gauntlet which yes I know I am not supposed to do, but did it very lightly and tested the coarser edge it gives 20 strokes and roughly 1 deburring stroke on the opposite side every 3 passes, followed up by the cats eye Ceramic stones.

I find this is one of my favorite finishes. Then I did the same thing with my LC200N version of this knife.

FYI the grind on my Magnacut version is identical to the LC200N version. I have yet to go into a heavy reprofiling of the spydie edge on either of them but your results look fantastic.

There is a definite difference in the way each knife slices Magnacut is indeed sharper and slices with less effort and that is saying something because LC200 Ain't no slouch in that department!

Today I fielded both and tested them on cardboard, plastic, thin paper and there is a difference.

While I have always loved the Native 5 and do own it in multiple steels it is just too small, I really Want a Native Chief fully serrated in Magnacut, for Spyderco to miss making that one would be a huge disappointment. VG-10 is good but I have enough Spydie edges in it and the Police 3 I own in VG-10 takes care of the large VG-10 Spydie edged folders.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Evil D wrote:

Magnacut is an odd steel like this, I had this happen early on with my Bark River Bravo in Magnacut and it caused the same concern. It took a little while but over time it stopped happening. I even wrote about this a little on this forum when the knife first arrived.

Since then I have tested it leaving lemon juice on it over night as well as other things and not so much as a hint of corrosion or patina. If I had done that with M390 it would have caused rust for sure.