Tusk Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Tusk Sprint Run

Post by bearrowland »

Would anyone have an interest I a Tusk Sprint Run? I come from a sailing family, i.e. US Navy, Coast Guard, and would love to get one for my son but they're about as hard to find as the Spyderench! I wouldn't mind one myself :winking-tongue
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
steelcity16

Re: Tusk Sprint Run

Post by steelcity16 »

Create a saved search on ebay. One sold yesterday, albeit for $500+! One sold in Nov for $330. They are out there if you have some patience and the money.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 am
Create a saved search on ebay. One sold yesterday, albeit for $500+! One sold in Nov for $330. They are out there if you have some patience and the money.
That’s how I got mine. It is superb.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I would be interested in one. While I don't go to sea anymore, still like stuff that speak to it.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would be interested in a tusk, but i'd never buy one for the price it would cost. the reason for me is that i wouldn't edc it because i don't have a daily application for it. i would probably leave it in my paracord stash for the spike, and in that case, it would make more sense to just get the cheapest version i can find from marbles or something.

with a sailing background and application, i could absolutely see it though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
phaust

Post by phaust »

Probably looking at $350-400 for a sprint if not more. If you can get them in the ballpark of $330 on eBay, that's be the way to go.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'll do a saved search. I saw the prices....if only I had a time machine 😃
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A few years back when the TuSK was still in the main line up I just about pulled the trigger. But when I contacted a dealer I use often ( New Graham Knives) I was shocked to discover that it was not available in full SE. I was dumbfounded to hear that especially about a knife used for marine applications. I declined to buy one because I couldn't get one in full SE.

If they are to do a Sprint Run of the TUSK model I would want to see it in PE & SE both. And I would be open to newer blade steels on that model as well.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

phaust wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:08 pm
Probably looking at $350-400 for a sprint if not more. If you can get them in the ballpark of $330 on eBay, that's be the way to go.

Totally agree with this.

Highly doubtful there’ll be a Sprint Run of Tusk for a street price of $350-$400.

Look at SpydieChef which came out in OCT 2016 with a street price of $191.97 and now in JAN 2023 the street price is $282.20!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’d love to see Spyderco develop a new Tusk except minus the tusk! :grin-squint

I love the blade on the Tusk, I think it’s an awesome blade shape and size. It would make a really cool little knife on its own. I don’t really have much use for the marlinspike, so I rarely ever carry it but if it were the Tusk blade with an appropriate handle, I’d carry it frequently.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Tusk without a tusk?

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yes, I really like the actual blade on the Tusk and think it would be great as a stand-alone knife.

With a size appropriate ergonomic handle, this would make an awesome little sub 2.5” Salt knife in my opinion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:39 pm

I love the blade on the Tusk, I think it’s an awesome blade shape and size. It would make a really cool little knife on its own. I don’t really have much use for the marlinspike, so I rarely ever carry it but if it were the Tusk blade with an appropriate handle, I’d carry it frequently.
That "tusk" or Marlinspike feature on that model was the main selling point. Marlinspikes are extremely handy to seafaring workers, sailors and to several other occupations. I keep a Boker Marlinspike knife in my toolbox and it comes in very handy at times for all kinds of different uses as well as anything to do with rope & cordage.

But as I also said earlier any Spyderco knife geared for any type of marine and/or seafaring application should indeed have an option of a serrated blade IMO.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I am surprised that there wasn't a serrated blade. It seems like an incredible oversight...there must have been a reason.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:22 pm
Yes, I really like the actual blade on the Tusk and think it would be great as a stand-alone knife.

With a size appropriate ergonomic handle, this would make an awesome little sub 2.5” Salt knife in my opinion.
They can call it the Tuskless. :grin-squint
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:39 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:39 pm

That "tusk" or Marlinspike feature on that model was the main selling point. Marlinspikes are extremely handy to seafaring workers, sailors and to several other occupations. I keep a Boker Marlinspike knife in my toolbox and it comes in very handy at times for all kinds of different uses as well as anything to do with rope & cordage.

But as I also said earlier any Spyderco knife geared for any type of marine and/or seafaring application should indeed have an option of a serrated blade IMO.
I know, that’s partly my point.

Unfortunately, the marlinspike seemed to demand most of the knives attention and the blade on the Tusk went under appreciated, in my opinion. Clearly even now the actual blade on the Tusk is an after thought. People only want the Marlinspike and when they can get one for $30 (like your Boker) with a blade that they already don’t care about, the $400 option is a nearly impossible sell. The market for a nearly $400 marlinspike spike knife is smaller than tiny and due to that, I’m confident saying the Tusk is not going to be brought back in any form as is.

$400-500 might sound like a large investment for a knife but it’s basically pennies on the dollar when compared to the investment Spyderco would need to make for a sprint run. :respect

Doc Dan wrote: They can call it the Tuskless. :grin-squint
lol! I like that idea.

I was thinking along the lines of “Poached” because it had its tusk removed but I thought that could potentially come across as insensitive. Then on that same line of thinking, I thought maybe proceeds could be donated to an organization like Defenders if Wildlife or the World Wildlife Fund to help with conservation of wildlife in arctic regions.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:46 am
I am surprised that there wasn't a serrated blade. It seems like an incredible oversight...there must have been a reason.
Dude I'm in total agreement with you. But the TUSK is not the only model that would have sold much better if there had been a serrated option to choose from. But again the target market that model was made for really use serrated blades a lot more than most others.

back in 2012 I was seriously in the market to buy one with TEETH. But again the dealer told me that it was only available in PE. I just don't get that one at all.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as cost differential with most other cutlery on the market ( specialty or otherwise) you could make the case as to why any of us would spend significantly more on any type of a blade that Spyderco has on the market for that matter. Because you can sure get a Buck model 110 a lot cheaper than you can get a Spyderco Military model for. But I'll always go for the C-36 Military over any Buck product.

But it goes without saying that the TUSK model was most definitely targeted for marine/navy, sailing or other seafaring applications. Spyderco actually made the serrated Harpy famous because of all the demand in that particular market sector.

But on the other hand maybe it just couldn't compete with the blades already on the market and maybe that was the reason they never got around to making a serrated option for that model. But if they ever make a full SE Sprint run I'll be in line to get one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:50 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:22 pm

They can call it the Tuskless. :grin-squint
That would be like calling the Narwhal, which I wish the Tusk had been called, the Narwhalless.

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032