New type blade coating?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

New type blade coating?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Mentioned in the Spyderco Shot Show 23 (Blade HQ) video, Eric mentions a new blade coating, anyone have any information on this? Is this to combat interference in heat treating? :thinking
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Manixguy@1994

Re: New type blade coating?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:07 am
Mentioned in the Spyderco Shot Show 23 (Blade HQ) video, Eric mentions a new blade coating, anyone have any information on this? Is this to combat interference in heat treating? :thinking
I have no idea but also wonder if other blade colors would be in the equation ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DLC is a tough act to follow. If DLC is getting replaced I sure hope it's because they found something better and not because something else is less expensive to produce.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

legOFwhat? wrote:
There's so many options, the coating industry is huge. I found 5 different types of DLC offered by 1 company! It could be something completely different or a variation on something already used. Would be awesome to see all the things Spyderco is working on behind closed doors. Can you imagine the cool things that probably exist just for testing at Golden, like serrated Maxamet! Not saying I would want that but it probably exists.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Looked like a black coating in the video. Maybe it's the smoother coating they used on the BladeHQ Sage 5's and such. Titanium carbonitride (TiCN). If there's one complaint I had with DLC it's that the surface is a little bit rough, but the TiCN on my BHQ Sage 5 LW was very smooth which I liked.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:29 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
I have no idea but also wonder if other blade colors would be in the equation ? MG2
Sorry for the late reply, I must have backed out of what I typed up on my phone. :spiral-eyes

How awesome would glow-in-the-dark DLC coating be on a blade? You know for when Orcs are lurking around the shire.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:11 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, I must have backed out of what I typed up on my phone. :spiral-eyes

How awesome would glow-in-the-dark DLC coating be on a blade? You know for when Orcs are lurking around the shire.
I deserved that ! Ha ha ha ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

Dude! A LoTR themed Spyderco! That would be sick. Could call it Glamdring. Knives based off of the good side could be satin while the bad ones could be blacked out. (Yes I know the probability of that happening is 0.0001%) but hey a guy can dream right?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Glow in the dark coatings sounds like a really cool concept.
I also found the new coating mention interesting. I just so happen to have recently found something pretty cool, inspired by certain natural materials, that might be applicable to coatings, but I’m stilling learning about it myself. Anyway, it’s something I’m starting to become more interested in and now I’m realizing that Spyderco must know a good bit about many different coatings.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Guts wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:33 pm
Looked like a black coating in the video. Maybe it's the smoother coating they used on the BladeHQ Sage 5's and such. Titanium carbonitride (TiCN). If there's one complaint I had with DLC it's that the surface is a little bit rough, but the TiCN on my BHQ Sage 5 LW was very smooth which I liked.
DLC matches the finish on the blade. If you mirror polish the blade first the dlc will be mirror. I'm guessing spyderco bead blast the blades or something for that matte finish.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

I deserved that ! Ha ha ha ! Dan
:hugging-face :rofl
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am hoping it is Kalgard Gun Kote... ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I kind of like the orange coatings on some blades. If they could do in orange coating in something as tough as DLC or even TiCN that would be super cool.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:34 pm
Thanks for mentioning this. Gives me something to learn about.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I haven't seen anyone complain about Golden's DLC coating, rather the opposite, it seems to get much praise on here.
I don't have any experience with coated Spydercos myself, but based on my impressions there doesn't seem to be much to be gained in terms of performance. So it could be that the main objective is just to optimize the production process. When a manufacturer spend resources to fix something that isn't broken, it often is.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is this new coating for Golden knives or is it for Japanese made knives? Seki doesn't use DLC and that coating rubs off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:20 am
Is this new coating for Golden knives or is it for Japanese made knives? Seki doesn't use DLC and that coating rubs off.
It’s just something Eric had on his pocket at Shot Show. A new coating he was testing on a Paramilitary 2.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I like my blades like I like Playboy Women.
Naked.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:34 pm
A lot of these spage age coatings actually get their start in the firearms industries. I'm pretty sure that's also where the "Ion Fusion" that Buck used to offer was borne out of an American gun factory. Which one I'm not totally sure.

But that's probably a good thing because anything to do with Firearms more than likely has to be a really superior product. A product that has passed a lot of scrutiny. I actually like some of the newer blade coatings. I'm anxious to see this new coating.