Folder Survey ’23 - RESULTS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Folder Survey ’23 - Your Preferences Needed!

Post by Josh Crutchley »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:55 am

Yes but isn’t a knife survey only interesting if you make a forum knife request out of it in the end? Other wise it has zero use since all people like different models.
I'm sure a few companies have made exclusives inspired by forum posts.
The Deacon wrote: Perhaps I'm the only one, but I buy Spyderco Forum Knives because they're Spyderco Forum Knives, not because they're a model, edge type, steel, or handle material that I would carry or use. I think it would be desirable to have a Forum Knife that the greatest possible number of members here could both afford and be able to legally purchase but, beyond that, I have no preferences what so ever.
I agree that a forum knife should be something affordable.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:01 am
I find this survey interesting for a couple of reasons, one of them is that I have preferences that I often feel are deviant from the mean.
This could be real, or it could just be that preferences are so diverse that there isn’t really an identifiable mean, or it could be that people with certain preferences are more vocal.
Seeing where my preferences actually fall compared to the other participants could tell me something about the likelihood of seeing more models and versions that would appeal to me.

This is an insightful comment. Means (averages) often disguise the interesting variability beneath. To me, the variability is more interesting than the mean! Fortunately most of the bar charts that result from SurveyMonkey output show the variability in glorious techni-color - they're bar charts, but you can almost read them as simple histograms. On the steel questions at the end, I'll need to manually make histograms. I think you will like. Aicolainen, watch for "bimodal" two-hump distributions, where the mean is a lie...with a bimodal distribution, two competing means (or modes) is a better interpretation!

Your comment about vocality is also a good one. A survey is democratic in that respect. A few loud voices with distinct and unique preferences don't dominate the results.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

So...despite my badly-named survey, I didn't intend for the survey to be about a 'forum knife.' (I'd actually forgotten about those, and don't own any.) BUT, I can see in retrospect how you could draw a short line from the survey to a forum knife.

But consider this: If you made a knife based on the most popular choice in each category (usually that's the mean), you'd likely get a very average knife that would be adequate for many, but outstanding for none.

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:16 am
because the manix is the best folding knife ever made.

Fortunately I'm not biased in any way, so I am pleased to report that the above ^ is true. The Manix is the best folding knife ever made.
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:24 am
ladybug93 wrote:
apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 am

the stated purpose is to find preferences. my personal preferences are completely separate from how i'd answer for a forum knife. i would answer much like the deacon for a forum knife, but my personal preferences are basically centered around the manix. if you answer for a forum knife, when that's not the intent of the survey, you skew the results.
Okay i get what you mean but for me it still is the same result. Since like you i prefer the Manix over anything else in the end my results for this or for a forum knife would always be the same so i did not screw up the results thankfully. :zany
Totally agree! But we must not say that to loud before Sal gets depressed. ;)
You don’t think that Sal is mighty proud of Eric’s designs!?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:55 am
So...despite my badly-named survey, I didn't intend for the survey to be about a 'forum knife.' (I'd actually forgotten about those, and don't own any.) BUT, I can see in retrospect how you could draw a short line from the survey to a forum knife.

But consider this: If you made a knife based on the most popular choice in each category (usually that's the mean), you'd likely get a very average knife that would be adequate for many, but outstanding for none.

ladybug93 wrote:

Fortunately I'm not biased in any way, so I am pleased to report that the above ^ is true. The Manix is the best folding knife ever made.
The Manix is really growing on me; partly because of the great Sprint combos of late!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 pm
Bolster wrote:

ladybug93 wrote:

The Manix is really growing on me; partly because of the great Sprint combos of late!
this is one of the points i was trying to make in my thread about upgrading steels for less popular models. the manix is a popular model, but it's always seemed to trail behind the pm2 for some reason. i may not have bought my first manix if there hadn't been the xhp version for only a few dollars more than the bd1 version. higher grade steels can make people realize the merits of designs they may not have tried otherwise.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ric

Post by Ric »

Done.
When will the results being released?
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Done…thanx Bolster-great idea!!!👊
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am
apollo wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 am

Okay i get what you mean but for me it still is the same result. Since like you i prefer the Manix over anything else in the end my results for this or for a forum knife would always be the same so i did not screw up the results thankfully. :zany
Sure he is probably mighty proud! But i was just joking around… and honestly after that kinda freaky “chuck norris “ styled topic here in general about Sal, i think the man can appreciate that his son gets some well earned time in the spotlight on this forum for once. I mean its always Sal this and Sal that. And sure his work out of this world but so is Eric’s and in my eyes he deserves a bit more attention then we give him here.
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Survey said I won the first MILITARY 2 Knife coming off the line!

No code was given.

Was this a joke, or serious???

Yay!!!!🥳🥳🥳
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:07 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am
apollo wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Sure he is probably mighty proud! But i was just joking around… and honestly after that kinda freaky “chuck norris “ styled topic here in general about Sal, i think the man can appreciate that his son gets some well earned time in the spotlight on this forum for once. I mean its always Sal this and Sal that. And sure his work out of this world but so is Eric’s and in my eyes he deserves a bit more attention then we give him here.
All good. Just needed to be said the way you did.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:

ladybug93 wrote:

I think you have done a great job gathering data . I look forward to see results once you feel ready to drop the information. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Thanks for putting it together and throwing it out here. It was hard to think about one folder vs a dozen different task specific knives that would be nice to have but completely redundant.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Good job on the survey. I did not read the whole thread so I apologize if it's already been said. It will be interesting if the results match Spyderco's own sales data.
brough

Post by brough »

Done, and will be keeping an eye out for the results.

Thanks
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A Wednesday bump for those who aren't checking the forum daily...thanks!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Here are results from the for the Spyderco-focused forum survey that ran from mid-Jan to mid-Feb 2023. The survey obtained a total of 381 responses, 221 from the Spyderco forum and 160 from the Spyderco subforum on BladeForums. Thanks to all who responded! N=381 is a very healthy response rate. I don’t know how large the forum fan population is, but even if it were as large as 10,000, the respose rate of n=381 would yield a confidence interval of plus/minus 4.9 with a confidence level of 95%. That’s very acceptable, in my book.

As you read through the results, you will find response distributions that are not surprising, and perhaps a few that are. I hope these stats start some fruitful discussions. If you have questions I can answer, I’ll try to follow up.

As you know, click on the graphics for a larger view.

If you want to refer back to the original survey, click the link below:

https://ibb.co/6wPfBkM

Here are my “Cliff’s Notes” on the results:

Q1: A lot of agreement on the blade range of 3-4.” The smaller blades of 2-3” range take a distant second place.

Q2: The average % of serrated edges reported was 13%, but you can see in the histogram that most people own a very small proportion of serrated edge knives, and a very few people own a large proportion of serrated edge knives.

Q4: Interestingly, almost 30% are looking for no choil, and choils that go far into the blade aren’t popular.

Q5: Did you expect the comp lock to be #1? If so, pat yourself on the back. Did you also expect liner locks to be more popular than frame locks? If so, use your other hand and pat yourself on the back again!

Q6: Almost a perfect normal curve centered on the 3-4 oz range. That makes me sad, of course; I’m a lightweight nut.

Q7: Here we can see the size of the “thin slicey blade” tribe…

Q8: Thought question: Does the popularity of scale materials match what the marketplace offers?

Q9: While the “medium ratio” folks have the largest (blue) bar, the “max ratio” folks (yellow) are not so far behind.

Q10: The truncated option was: “Full Skeletonized Liners.” But you knew that. There’s a lot of love for FSLs!

Q11: Not a good question, really. Gloves sizes are strange. A person with medium sized hands may prefer X-Lg gloves, so the question isn’t telling us much about hand size. I wouldn’t ask this question again.

Q12: I call the yellow bar ($150-199) “The Wall.” Quite a drop-off to the light blue bar ($200-249) below it. The light blue bar is lower than it “should” be, for a normal distribution.

Q14: I had no idea which was the most likely use for folders, so any result would have been a surprise to me. Indoor work, for the win!

Q15: The average score is 57 (out of 100), indicating a small preference to the edge retention side, overall. Even though most people are looking for a steel that balances toughness and ER, there is a strong contingent of ER fanatics on the right. And there appears to be no equivalent tribe of toughness fanatics on the left.

Q16: This graph is telling us that people DISAGREE about the importance of corrosion resistance. There’s lots of variability, and even though the average is 47 (out of 100), the average is not a good measure of consensus here. In fact, there is little consensus to be found in this graphic—it’s a differentiating variable. Respondents have widely varied opinions on the importance of corrosion resistance.

Q17: While there is a meaningful middle to this distribution, the average of 43 (out of 100) and the mode of 50-60 somewhat disguises the fact that there’s a large tribe of respondents who think ease of sharpening is just not important. (They must be the folks with diamond stones and/or sharpening jigs?) And, there are relatively few who think ease of sharpening is very important.

A final note on stats and averages: These statistics attempt to locate the mean, the average, the popular, the “center of the curve.” But remember the old joke: “A statistician is somebody who, if your feet are frozen in ice and your head is in an oven, will tell you that on average, you should be comfortable.”

If a knife company were to make a knife based on the average response to each variable, they might produce a very average knife that thrills nobody. Each of us is unusual and unique in some ways (I hope). For example, I was disappointed that more people weren’t as excited as I am, about lightweight knives. I might not buy a knife that was “the preferred average” on every variable because it wouldn’t meet my unique interests.

Point being: the results of a poll shouldn’t be read as a recommendation for knife makers to concentrate exclusively on the middle of the curve, though certainly the averages are a good starting point from which to “break the norms” with purpose, creativity, and innovation. I am thankful that my favorite cutlery company, Spyderco, produces an industry-leading diversity of innovative designs that can please many different customers with many different preferences.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Q1,2. If you're new to the forum, you need to click on the image to get a larger view.
Attachments
q1&2.jpg
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Q3,4:
Attachments
q3&4.jpg
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Q5,6:
Attachments
q5&6.jpg