Knife Center Personal Data Leaks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: Knife Center Personal Data Leaks

Post by Naperville »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 pm
Does anyone keep their credit card locked? It can be a pain in the butt to have to unlock it when you want to use it, but I'll get text messages right away when the card is locked and a charge is attempted; it tells me it was denied. So far the only denials I've received are the times I've tested the system. That would be a clue right off the bat that someone has your account number.

By locking the card you don't have to check your account, or wait for the bank to send you a statement every month to see any suspicious activity, the text messages work in real-time. With the card locked the account is essentially dead.
I do not use my ATM cards for any purchases, they do not have a VISA or Mastercard logo on them and I refuse to update them for that purpose. I use credit cards and I try to use Capital One ENO, which creates a unique virtual card that has an expiration date that you set for each retailer and purchase.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 pm
That's only half the story if you can believe it...
Attachments
videoblocks-portrait-_r39dt2_7x_thumbnail-1080_01-1431891375.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:56 pm
Pokey wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 pm
Does anyone keep their credit card locked? It can be a pain in the butt to have to unlock it when you want to use it, but I'll get text messages right away when the card is locked and a charge is attempted; it tells me it was denied. So far the only denials I've received are the times I've tested the system. That would be a clue right off the bat that someone has your account number.

By locking the card you don't have to check your account, or wait for the bank to send you a statement every month to see any suspicious activity, the text messages work in real-time. With the card locked the account is essentially dead.
I do not use my ATM cards for any purchases, they do not have a VISA or Mastercard logo on them and I refuse to update them for that purpose. I use credit cards and I try to use Capital One ENO, which creates a unique virtual card that has an expiration date that you set for each retailer and purchase.
Yeah, one major advantage of credit cards over debit cards that people don't realize, is that with a credit card you can dispute the charge with your issuing company; with a debit card, it comes right out of your bank account, and there's nothing you can do. Plus, as you mentioned, many also provide virtual card numbers. Capital One also provides a dark-web monitoring service which saved my butt when my SSN showed up on the dark web.

In response to the OP, (assuming you're not already aware) I would say that you should share this information with Troy Hunt over at haveibeenpwned.com. He's very good at holding company's feet to the fire when it comes to breaches and disclosures. I don't see knifecenter.com listed on his site so he would probably appreciate a heads up https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites His service is also really great because you can sign up for notifications if your email address ends up in a data breach of some sort. https://www.troyhunt.com/contact/

And thanks for the heads up!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:56 am
Yeah, one major advantage of credit cards over debit cards that people don't realize, is that with a credit card you can dispute the charge with your issuing company; with a debit card, it comes right out of your bank account, and there's nothing you can do. Plus, as you mentioned, many also provide virtual card numbers. Capital One also provides a dark-web monitoring service which saved my butt when my SSN showed up on the dark web.

In response to the OP, (assuming you're not already aware) I would say that you should share this information with Troy Hunt over at haveibeenpwned.com. He's very good at holding company's feet to the fire when it comes to breaches and disclosures. I don't see knifecenter.com listed on his site so he would probably appreciate a heads up https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites His service is also really great because you can sign up for notifications if your email address ends up in a data breach of some sort. https://www.troyhunt.com/contact/

And thanks for the heads up!
I did not think of the pwnd site. I'll see...if I get off of my lazy tail, I'll notify him right now.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 pm
When they ask me to make up responses for the security questions, I use the password manager to create the fake 20+ character responses and I record what the response is for account recovery.
That's genius, I had never thought of that (only started to use a password manager in the last few months, before that I used text files for everything save banking passwords 😅).

Then again, if you stored your login/password in the same manager where the security questions are located, you'll rarely need to go through a recovery process in the first place.
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:09 am
He was terminated, and 6 months later went to the VP of the business unit's home in Mountain View, California and shot and killed her.
Dayum. Hopefully he's rotting in jail right now.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Araignee wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:24 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 pm
When they ask me to make up responses for the security questions, I use the password manager to create the fake 20+ character responses and I record what the response is for account recovery.
That's genius, I had never thought of that (only started to use a password manager in the last few months, before that I used text files for everything save banking passwords 😅).

Then again, if you stored your login/password in the same manager where the security questions are located, you'll rarely need to go through a recovery process in the first place.
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:09 am
He was terminated, and 6 months later went to the VP of the business unit's home in Mountain View, California and shot and killed her.
Dayum. Hopefully he's rotting in jail right now.
He opted out of prison and commit suicide.

Google, "Matthew Gyuang, Tonya Holzmayer, Mountain View, PPD." Some stories are still online from 2002.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:43 pm
What a coward. The poor woman's son even witnessed his crime...
Naperville wrote:
Google, "Matthew Gyuang, Tonya Holzmayer, Mountain View, PPD." Some stories are still online from 2002.
Cheers. I found this nugget :
But Holzmayer's friend, Roninson, said Huang was fired over a matter of internal "company rules" that he would not describe except to dismiss as minor.

"The firing of Matthew Huang was one of your routine situations that happen all the time and are not worth a footnote," he said.
Data theft - and for the profit of a foreign country... a "routine situation" ??!!
You've gotta be kidding me 🤦‍♂️
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:56 am
Yeah, one major advantage of credit cards over debit cards that people don't realize, is that with a credit card you can dispute the charge with your issuing company; with a debit card, it comes right out of your bank account, and there's nothing you can do.
It might depend on the issuing bank but, the only difference between my bank card and a credit card that I've found, is no line of credit.
I've had several unauthorized bank card charges reversed over the years. Never lost a dime.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Araignee wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:43 pm
Naperville wrote:
What a coward. The poor woman's son even witnessed his crime...
Naperville wrote:
Cheers. I found this nugget :
But Holzmayer's friend, Roninson, said Huang was fired over a matter of internal "company rules" that he would not describe except to dismiss as minor.

"The firing of Matthew Huang was one of your routine situations that happen all the time and are not worth a footnote," he said.
Data theft - and for the profit of a foreign country... a "routine situation" ??!!
Huang wished everyone goodbye on his last day. Somebody came up to me at work and asked if I said goodbye to him. I'm just glad he didn't shoot me! I was the one who detected his acts.

I sent all of those newspapers the facts, and they never published a word of it. After the shooting of the VP who ran operations employees were told not to say a word to the press.

Good people SOL due to a few mistakes and one bad egg.

Data security is #1. A "Need to know basis" for operations is real.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 pm
I sent all of those newspapers the facts, and they never published a word of it.

For the record, that's been my experience with the press, too. If they don't hear what they want to hear, it just never sees the light of day. For all the hullabaloo about free press, what we actually have is our own version of Pravda.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I always like this theory: Agenda-setting - Mass media doesn’t tell you what to think, but it tells you what to think about.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I received a new debit card last week because someone of impeccable character tried 7x to charge $250 of my money on a sports betting website.
The absolute worst thing to be legalized ever, but politicians gonna politic to line their pockets and dummies gonna be dumb to bet on sportsball.
Cant say my information was released by Knife Center, but there's another company I will never use for a purchase going forward since they don't value customer information security like other retailers.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Superflex wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 am
I received a new debit card last week because someone of impeccable character tried 7x to charge $250 of my money on a sports betting website.
The absolute worst thing to be legalized ever, but politicians gonna politic to line their pockets and dummies gonna be dumb to bet on sportsball.
Cant say my information was released by Knife Center, but there's another company I will never use for a purchase going forward since they don't value customer information security like other retailers.
As I said earlier I emailed Knife Center. They helped me out by removing my CC information from the preorder that I had. They are aware of the issue. They did not send any other details. They have always worked with me and I never had any issues with Knife Center.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I live about 45 miles from Knife Center. I use to shop there but after they tried to justify charging me $26 or shipping a Cold Steel cane when SMKW charged.me $6.99 for the same Fed Ex service. Despite.being over 250 miles away. I requested Knife Center to delete my account and info. Which they did thankfully do.
I called Fed Ex and told them the package and dimensions along with their standard shipping. They told me $26 was entirely too much.
So I gave up on Knife Center and I am convinced they tried to overcharge me in order to compensate for their sale price. I will stick with SMKW and Amazon for now on. At least they did not.try to jerk my chain on over trumped shipping rates.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 pm
I live about 45 miles from Knife Center. I use to shop there but after they tried to justify charging me $26 or shipping a Cold Steel cane when SMKW charged.me $6.99 for the same Fed Ex service. Despite.being over 250 miles away. I requested Knife Center to delete my account and info. Which they did thankfully do.
I called Fed Ex and told them the package and dimensions along with their standard shipping. They told me $26 was entirely too much.
So I gave up on Knife Center and I am convinced they tried to overcharge me in order to compensate for their sale price. I will stick with SMKW and Amazon for now on. At least they did not.try to jerk my chain on over trumped shipping rates.
With all the Spyderco clones around I never have bought a Spyderco off of Amazon. Seems to risky.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Foehammer wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:58 pm
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 pm
With all the Spyderco clones around I never have bought a Spyderco off of Amazon. Seems to risky.
There is risk involved. I deal with Onkata on Amazon for Spyderco knives. They are an authorized dealer of Spyderco products. I would much rather deal with Knife Center. But they left a really bad taste in my mouth. I just research businesses on Amazon and deal with legitimate ones.
I have.3 Spydercos all from Onkata. They are all legit.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Zipper wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:30 am
I always like this theory: Agenda-setting - Mass media doesn’t tell you what to think, but it tells you what to think about.
Oh, they absolutely do tell you what to think. They're not shy about it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've never had an online account with any knife dealers. Whenever I've ordered a knife, it's been over the phone with a one-time payment. My favorite and my go-to has been Knife Works.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Araignee wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:43 pm
Funny thing, that story was written in 2002 when Dick Cheney was running the show. The author is still a thriving news guy in the Bay Area and a big fan of Liz Cheney these days.

Pretty sure he left out what he was instructed to leave out. Still a lot of interesting things in his article.

Here's an article that showed up on DuckDuckGo:
https://listverse.com/2016/08/09/10-lea ... umstances/