Manix 2 Edge Angles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluhrb

Manix 2 Edge Angles

Post by Bluhrb »

Hello! I'm planning on sharpening my Manix 2 15v up a little. I've heard that 17 degrees is the sweet spot but as 15v is more brittle then the standard s30v ones, what angle would I reprofile my Manix 2 at? Will be used but not abused, will likely used for more outdoors then as an EDC.
TazKristi

Re: Manix 2 Edge Angles

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Bluhrb:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bluhrb wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:06 pm
I've heard that 17 degrees is the sweet spot but as 15v is more brittle then the standard s30v ones, what angle would I reprofile my Manix 2 at?
Hey, B.
Although I've only been using my 15V Manix for about a month, I wouldn't consider it brittle. Maybe more so than S30V, but it's tougher than some other blade steels I carry. Mine is sharpened to right about 30 degrees, and I'm liking it there. I'd be comfortable going more acute, but 17 will be fine if that's what you choose.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Bluhrb wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:06 pm
Hello! I'm planning on sharpening my Manix 2 15v up a little. I've heard that 17 degrees is the sweet spot but as 15v is more brittle then the standard s30v ones, what angle would I reprofile my Manix 2 at? Will be used but not abused, will likely used for more outdoors then as an EDC.
If, for your uses case, you don’t see any damage at the current factory angles and are happy with the cutting performance than keep it the same. If you do see some chipping, per Shaun, real edge stability/toughness starts at 20DPS, so that may be a good place to sharpen to. Once at 20DPS then see if damage still occurs and if it still cuts to your satisfaction. Adjust from there… Just remember as Sal has said before, don’t try to cut something a knife was never made to cut.

Personally I am going to keep mine around 15-17dps as I have not seen any damage so far for my use case.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.